simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2008

Hi everyone,
does anyone know how to create parallel texts in Word? I have to produce a Latin-English parallel text for publication, with the Latin source text and notes on the left hand side, and the English translation, with its own separately numbered notes, on the right hand side. In other words, alternating pages of Latin and English. Can two separate files/texts be interleafed in this way using Word? If not, does anyone know any other software solutions?
Any help much appreciat
... See more
Hi everyone,
does anyone know how to create parallel texts in Word? I have to produce a Latin-English parallel text for publication, with the Latin source text and notes on the left hand side, and the English translation, with its own separately numbered notes, on the right hand side. In other words, alternating pages of Latin and English. Can two separate files/texts be interleafed in this way using Word? If not, does anyone know any other software solutions?
Any help much appreciated
Simon
Collapse

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Jennifer Hejtmankova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
Not sure... Feb 15, 2008

...if this will help, but I found this site:

http://www.cs.unt.edu/~rada/wa/

Scrolling down to Sentence Alignment, there's a link to a Microsoft Research site, which sounds great, but unfortunately it seems that little bit of software isn't available anymore and searches come up empty. But perhaps one of hte other solutions will be helpful?

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
DTP? Feb 15, 2008

I do not know if it is possible for you, but this should be done in a DTP application. In such a program it would be actually very easy: define two different continuous page frames for left and right pages, fill the frames with two files and make necessary alignments....

If you really have to do it in Word, I suggest using a two-column table. How to go about it depends really on the text structure (and possible differences between the original and the translation). For example, if t
... See more
I do not know if it is possible for you, but this should be done in a DTP application. In such a program it would be actually very easy: define two different continuous page frames for left and right pages, fill the frames with two files and make necessary alignments....

If you really have to do it in Word, I suggest using a two-column table. How to go about it depends really on the text structure (and possible differences between the original and the translation). For example, if the number of paragraphs is the same for both texts, you might force cell ends after each paragraph, so that the text aligns automatically. If this is not possible, end the cells with a section, chapter etc. so that the text is realigned from time to time, which makes alignment in-between much easier.

Finally, you can use two text columns, but in this case you have to do all of it manually, which would be a pain.

Let me know what you decide to do, I'll try to post more detailed instructions.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
WordFisher Feb 16, 2008

The Aligner function of WordFisher, a free Word macro, can readily be used to align two corresponding files into a two-column table. I'm not sure how it would handle the notes, though; it depends what format they have in your files.

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Feb 16, 2008

Thanks for all your suggestions, but unfortunately so far no joy.
As you said Jabberwock, "if the number of paragraphs is the same for both texts, you might force cell ends after each paragraph, so that the text aligns automatically". This is in fact what I did originally, and this is how the text is laid out at the moment. The problems begin when I need to insert separate sets of notes for each column of the table, and need to print so that alternate columns are on alternate pages - left
... See more
Thanks for all your suggestions, but unfortunately so far no joy.
As you said Jabberwock, "if the number of paragraphs is the same for both texts, you might force cell ends after each paragraph, so that the text aligns automatically". This is in fact what I did originally, and this is how the text is laid out at the moment. The problems begin when I need to insert separate sets of notes for each column of the table, and need to print so that alternate columns are on alternate pages - left-hand page Latin, right-hand page English. As you said, and as I feared, it is basically a DTP issue. What I essentially need to do is have two files - Latin with notes and English with notes - and interleaf them. Any cheap or free solutions that you know of?
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Two-page setup Feb 16, 2008

Well, if you need it only for publication, not for further editing, then maybe it is indeed enough to print it out this way?

For example, you might try the following:

1. Align the two files in two separate Word documents so that the number of pages is equal. Of course, this will have to be done mostly manually, but some tricks, like adding a page break before chapters etc. might help. Make the necessary layout changes which will make the two files look as parts of the
... See more
Well, if you need it only for publication, not for further editing, then maybe it is indeed enough to print it out this way?

For example, you might try the following:

1. Align the two files in two separate Word documents so that the number of pages is equal. Of course, this will have to be done mostly manually, but some tricks, like adding a page break before chapters etc. might help. Make the necessary layout changes which will make the two files look as parts of the same documents (i.e. setting page numbers correctly, headers and footers, etc.).

2. Print it out in any freeware PDF printer, e.g. PDF Creator.

3. Split the PDFs so that one file contains one page only. You can use some freeware tools for that - e.g. PDFTK Builder http://www.angusj.com/pdftkb/ . I have not used this, there might be better alternatives.

4. Use a freeware software, e.g. ReNamer http://www.snapfiles.com/get/denrenamer.html , to rename the files in such a way that the file names follow the page numbering, e.g. File1Page1.pdf would be FinalPage1.pdf, and File2Page1.pdf would be FinalPage2.pdf, etc.

5. Combine the files again into one PDF.

I realize that this procedure is not very professional, but it might get the job done...
Collapse

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 16, 2008

Thanks for your help, Jabberwock. A bit lengthy a complex, but it might just work! I might not have any other choice unless I use DTP software

Roberto_Arcella
Roberto_Arcella
Ireland
Local time: 17:00
English to Italian
+ ...
tables Jul 16, 2014

Have you tried creating tables? It's probably the quickest way. Take a look at this page: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/microsoft-office/easy-parallel-columns-in-word

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Let it rest in peace Jul 16, 2014

Roberto, this thread is more than six years old. If you find a thread through a search, it's useful to check the dates before responding so you don't bring ancient threads back from the grave.
As to the issue at hand, I would warmly recommend using a real aligner. When the actual alignment is done, it's relatively easy to generate a word table, an HTML table, an excel table or whatever suits one's fancy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

creation of parallel texts in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »