Thread poster: cilantro
cilantro
cilantro  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:49
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2012

Anyone have the link to the company that was selling the huge PC keyboard with all the language codes and signs for 4+ languages?

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:49
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Optimus keyboard? Nov 16, 2012

Do you mean the Optimus keyboard?

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Regards,

Narcís Lozano

[Edited at 2012-11-16 18:20 GMT]

cilantro
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nein Nov 16, 2012

It was a huge keyboard with rows upon rows of symbols and language aids such as accents and so forth. I think it was optimized for particular languages, with 4 different models.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Do you really need a keyboard? A driver will do. Nov 16, 2012

I created a custom keyboard layout for Windows that contains symbols for the vast majority of European languages utilising the Latin alphabet, plus a handful of special symbols. It uses a so-called compositing method: to type e.g. á, you first type AltGr+', then a. A few examples:
AltGr+^ e = ê
AltGr+/ o = ø
AltGr+s s = ß
AltGr+= L = £
AltGr+, c = ç
AltGr+v n = ň
AltGr+1 2 = ½
AltGr+. . = ·
AltGr+- - = –
AltGr+= ~
... See more
I created a custom keyboard layout for Windows that contains symbols for the vast majority of European languages utilising the Latin alphabet, plus a handful of special symbols. It uses a so-called compositing method: to type e.g. á, you first type AltGr+', then a. A few examples:
AltGr+^ e = ê
AltGr+/ o = ø
AltGr+s s = ß
AltGr+= L = £
AltGr+, c = ç
AltGr+v n = ň
AltGr+1 2 = ½
AltGr+. . = ·
AltGr+- - = –
AltGr+= ~ = ≈
Plus a few simpler combinations:
AltGr+0 = °
AltGr+m = µ
AltGr+< = ≤
AltGr++ = ±

Whoever needs it, feel free to contact me.
Anton
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Tahira Rafiq asked to delete the post.
Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
On Optimus, you can have anything you want Nov 16, 2012

Tahira, every key in Optimus has a tiny display built into it, so you can programmatically display anything you want on the keycaps. It's beautiful but ludicrously expensive (and, I assume, not even nearly so reliable and rugged as the best typing keyboards - e.g. Lenovo).

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What would be the point? Nov 16, 2012

cilantro wrote:

Anyone have the link to the company that was selling the huge PC keyboard with all the language codes and signs for 4+ languages?

I don't see the idea here. Most languages use the same physical layout (ISO). It takes two clicks on the taskbar to switch languages. Why would you want a monster keyboard with 150 keys instead of just switching? It would be awful for typing, with all those extra letters outside of the typing area. I touch type, so I don't really care what's labeled on the keyboard, but you can label some of the keys if you need. If you can't touch type and you need to switch between 3 or 4 languages several times a day, why not just use 3 or 4 keyboards? You can even plug them in all at the same time (just use a hub if there aren't enough ports).
Alternatively, you can use autohotkey to assign the letters you need to unused keys or key combinations.
If you really want, you can get a gaming keyboard with macro keys so that you have specific keys for those extra letters:
http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/329487-corsair-vengeance-k90-gaming-keyboard.jpg?thumb=y

[Edited at 2012-11-16 23:14 GMT]

cilantro
Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not the same Nov 17, 2012

In the day and age of touch sensitive screens and LED displays you could have any keyboard you want, but the large mechanical keyboard was much better for showing off.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Super duper multi-language keyboard

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »