Titus Haennni
Titus Haennni  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:07
English to French
+ ...
Feb 8, 2012

Hello,

For all of us, Google has long been a reflex, almost a part of our brain. And no doubt it helps me no end. However, it has some quirks.
Especially outrageous is the fact that Google takes me for an illiterate. When I have some specific research that is similar to another, more popular, more probable, etc. one, it returns only results for the popular one, which are of zero use to me. Using " " does not solve this issue, as most of the time the results stay the same.
... See more
Hello,

For all of us, Google has long been a reflex, almost a part of our brain. And no doubt it helps me no end. However, it has some quirks.
Especially outrageous is the fact that Google takes me for an illiterate. When I have some specific research that is similar to another, more popular, more probable, etc. one, it returns only results for the popular one, which are of zero use to me. Using " " does not solve this issue, as most of the time the results stay the same.
Does any of you know a search engine that will return results for my query exactly?

I was also very fond of the "define:" function. They changed it and now it is next to useless. A great loss in my opinion. Does anyone know a similarly good replacement?

Thanks!
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:07
Italian to English
Annoys me too Feb 8, 2012

I haven't tried it but, if you click on "Search settings" under the Tools icon (top right) and then, under Google Instant Predictions, select "Never show instant results", does that work I wonder?

Nathalie Ramiere (X)
Nathalie Ramiere (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:07
English to French
when Google defaults to a more popular/likely search... Feb 8, 2012

Hi,

I agree with you that Google has become a "reflex" for many of us!

I often have the same problem as you when Google "defaults" to a more popular search and displays the results for that search if it assumes you made a typo in your search criteria.
HOWEVER, in this case, it (usually?) displays an option at the top of the results list (in very small letters!) that says "Search instead for [your original query]". Click the link and it will display the results you
... See more
Hi,

I agree with you that Google has become a "reflex" for many of us!

I often have the same problem as you when Google "defaults" to a more popular search and displays the results for that search if it assumes you made a typo in your search criteria.
HOWEVER, in this case, it (usually?) displays an option at the top of the results list (in very small letters!) that says "Search instead for [your original query]". Click the link and it will display the results you wanted!

For example (it's "just" an example!), if I type SDLX Multiterm term recognition in the search box (no quotes), Google will display by default the results for SDL Multiterm term recognition (no quotes). However, you can force it to display the results you wanted by clicking "Search instead for SDLX Multiterm term recognition". Does that make sense?

It took me a while to figure that out because the characters are so small and we are so used to "jumping" to the results list...:-)

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nathalie

[Edited at 2012-02-08 19:06 GMT]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
To refine your search... Feb 8, 2012

What I usually do is eliminate the words I don't want in my search to narrow it down. I just put "-" in front of the words I don't want. For example, let's say I'm searching for bread, but I don't want rye or white, I'd put:

bread -rye -white

Works like a charm.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Verbatim search tool Feb 9, 2012

HOWEVER, in this case, it (usually?) displays an option at the top of the results list (in very small letters!) that says "Search instead for [your original query]". Click the link and it will display the results you wanted!
Nathalie

[Edited at 2012-02-08 19:06 GMT]

I watch for "Search instead for" and find it very useful. Here's another option. On the left of your screen you will find a drop-down menu called "Show search tools." It's worth exploring. I've found "Verbatim" useful for the problem you describe. You'll also find a dictionary link there; it seems to do everything the old "define:" command did.

It sometimes irritates me when Google corrects my search terms, but I find it useful when it corrects my typos, too. Also, the material I translate contains a lot of Cyrillic spellings of non-Russian personal names and places. It I get close to an accepted English spelling, Google will usually tell me what it is. And if I'm not sure how some English word is spelled, I type in Google and get the correct spelling back immediately -- it's a great time saver over looking words up in a paper dictionary.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks Amy! Feb 9, 2012

I must try the -things I don't want idea.

I used to like Alta Vista, but it was finally laid to rest a couple of years ago, and I miss it sorely.

I used to set the language to English and search for a something in Danish, and it would often find a handful of absolutely perfect hits. (The English name for whatever I had typed in, on a reliable bilingual website.) Who has time for a million anyway?

It used to keep the language setting until I changed it, whic
... See more
I must try the -things I don't want idea.

I used to like Alta Vista, but it was finally laid to rest a couple of years ago, and I miss it sorely.

I used to set the language to English and search for a something in Danish, and it would often find a handful of absolutely perfect hits. (The English name for whatever I had typed in, on a reliable bilingual website.) Who has time for a million anyway?

It used to keep the language setting until I changed it, which I regularly did, but it was fast and easy.

Because I live in Denmark, I have enormous trouble persuading Google that I really mean I want sites in English... as I often do! It tries everything to persuade me to have things translated into Danish. I have friends who make a living doing that.

I tried Yahoo, but gave up on it. So now I google like everyone else, but still feel annoyed about it.
Collapse

Titus Haennni
Titus Haennni  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, no alternative Feb 10, 2012

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been using most of these functions, with mixed success.

the "verbatim" function is very welcome... I never thought of trying those options down there on the left flank.
"dictionary" is nice, but far from the old "define:". Remember how you had all those matches from wikipedia and the oxford dictionary etc. etc. and you could change languages too?

Another problem of Google is the immense amount of commercial links to sift
... See more
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been using most of these functions, with mixed success.

the "verbatim" function is very welcome... I never thought of trying those options down there on the left flank.
"dictionary" is nice, but far from the old "define:". Remember how you had all those matches from wikipedia and the oxford dictionary etc. etc. and you could change languages too?

Another problem of Google is the immense amount of commercial links to sift through. Would there be a way to filter them out? I suppose not, as it is Googles meat and mead, but who knows.

It appears that nobody uses any other search engine... If I ever find any other search engine useful in practice, I will be sure to post it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

search engines - complementing Google

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »