Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:57
English to Czech
+ ...
Irony Nov 26, 2009

Anna Haxen wrote:

Strange, isn't it, that the strongest opinions on CAT tools are generally harboured by those who don't use them.

Anna, if you are refering to my previous post, it was meant to be ironical. It was inspired by opinions I read in other CAT-related discussions here on ProZ.

To get back on topic: It's hard to say what is the "best" CAT tool without defining the criteria. Also, those of us who work mostly for agencies quite often don't have much choice, because some agencies require specific CAT tools.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:57
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Easy answer ... or not so easy Nov 26, 2009

The best CAT tool to use is the one your client wants you to use. And if the client has no preference, then you are free to use the CAT tool that you feel is best for you. And that is often just a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I mainly use Wordfast Classic, as I prefer to work in Word and the handling of glossaries and Quality Control functions is unrivalled. Every time I switch to another tool, I find myself missing the blacklist and the quick adding and inserting of g
... See more
The best CAT tool to use is the one your client wants you to use. And if the client has no preference, then you are free to use the CAT tool that you feel is best for you. And that is often just a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I mainly use Wordfast Classic, as I prefer to work in Word and the handling of glossaries and Quality Control functions is unrivalled. Every time I switch to another tool, I find myself missing the blacklist and the quick adding and inserting of glossary terms.

Apart from Wordfast, I have worked with Across, Catalyst, DejaVu, Espresso, ForeignDesk, Helium, HITE, IIDS, LocStudio, Logoport, OmegaT, SDLX, Sisulizer, Sprint, Trados and WordFisher, so I have a bit of experience with various CAT tools.
I started with WordFisher, ten years ago, then switched to DejaVu, then to SDLX, then to Trados, and finally to Wordfast has been my main choice for the last few years. The others I mentioned I've only been using for certain clients, and many of them are their proprietary tools.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT Nov 26, 2009

is the best. The second best is Anaphraseus, and the third best is Wordfast Classic. I think, it’s wise to have several tools at hand to serve different tasks.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Indeed Nov 26, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
I think, it’s wise to have several tools at hand to serve different tasks.

And at least two or three of them, as some bizarre things may occur from time to time (a well-known and expensive tool can fail or show dysfunctions where a free software works like a charm).

[Edited at 2009-11-26 13:50 GMT]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:57
German to English
+ ...
Let us not forget... Nov 26, 2009

... Google Translate, which is particularly well suited for those who object to the concept of intellectual property. That would be my next recommendation after Trados, and those who are particularly advanced in their approach to business can surely find a way to combine the two technologies.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
the best is the enemy of good Nov 28, 2009

First, not to start another futile holy war, I think that the best CAT is the one you can handle the best) As for me I prefer a quite natural view of WF classic (with PlusTools and PlusToys when needed.). I didn't like cumbersome interfaces and tried Trados macroses in MS Word, but they didn't work alright for my PC.

Second, Google Translate is something that makes me th
... See more
First, not to start another futile holy war, I think that the best CAT is the one you can handle the best) As for me I prefer a quite natural view of WF classic (with PlusTools and PlusToys when needed.). I didn't like cumbersome interfaces and tried Trados macroses in MS Word, but they didn't work alright for my PC.

Second, Google Translate is something that makes me think Google team had much leisure time and decided to monkey about some new 'features'.

Everything above is just IMO)
Collapse

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
My favourite: CafeTran Aug 15, 2013

Alf Ivar Tronsmo wrote:

So what do you think? What CAT tool do you consider the best all in all, with regards on time saving work and features given?

I prefer CafeTran because of ease of use and platform independence.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:57
Italian to English
Aug 16, 2013

[Edited at 2013-08-17 11:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best CAT tool

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »