Please help with your knowledge about subtitling
Thread poster: meravb
meravb
meravb
English
Feb 13, 2007

I am doing a project about subtitling and dubbing companies and I hope you will be willing to assist me with your knowledge.

I am looking for companies' names and preferably websites worldwide.

I am more interested in quality companies over low cost ones, however if you know a company that is low cost I will be glad to receive its name too. I am looking not only for huge market leaders but also for small and experienced companies.

My interest is mainly in
... See more
I am doing a project about subtitling and dubbing companies and I hope you will be willing to assist me with your knowledge.

I am looking for companies' names and preferably websites worldwide.

I am more interested in quality companies over low cost ones, however if you know a company that is low cost I will be glad to receive its name too. I am looking not only for huge market leaders but also for small and experienced companies.

My interest is mainly in companies operating in the following markets: USA, C. S. America, the Far East and of course Europe.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me

[Edited at 2007-02-13 13:47]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:53
English to German
+ ...
many processes are involved Feb 13, 2007

Hi! subtitling is not easy. If you have a movie file, the steps would be to
extract the audio
transcribe or get it done
translate
follow the original movie (lips movement)
concentrate and distribute the translated text along those frames.
Each of these processes have their own production prices.
It happens mostly that translators get only the source a studio recording or the similar in a text form. The role of a subtitler would be to translate and dis
... See more
Hi! subtitling is not easy. If you have a movie file, the steps would be to
extract the audio
transcribe or get it done
translate
follow the original movie (lips movement)
concentrate and distribute the translated text along those frames.
Each of these processes have their own production prices.
It happens mostly that translators get only the source a studio recording or the similar in a text form. The role of a subtitler would be to translate and distribute this over a number of frames, while following the lip movement, so that it is genuine. This means also one should be able to understand the lip movement and decipher, what really is being said. Normally people quote on line price, but hourly price is better, because it gives you more space to move within the project. Best Brandis
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Sorry, Brandis Feb 13, 2007

Subtitling has nothing to do with lip synch. You got mixed with dubbing, I reckon. Subtitling is a written and synthetic translation which appears on screen.

Something else : audiovisual translators are never paid per line or per hour. We're paid per subtitle/reel, per program or per minute of program. Here again, you are perhaps confusing with dubbing actors (who say the translated text but don't write it).

meravb
meravb
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your response Feb 14, 2007

I don’t really know what is the professional definition of subtitling, but the thing I am asking about is the small subtitles that are written at the bottom of the screen on TV and in the movies.

I would like to thank you again for the information and any additional companies' names are highly welcome.

[Edited at 2007-02-14 11:27]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Please, no specific outsourcer discussions Feb 14, 2007

Dear all,

Discussions of specific outsourcers, be it in a negative, positive, or neutral way, are not allowed in Proz.com forums, nor are any other references that would identify an outsourcer.

Please refer to the forum rule below:

http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically. Posts or comments regarding a specific outsourcer (identified by name, reference, link or other means), whether positive or negative, are not permitted. (To indicate their likelihood of working again with a given outsourcer, site users should use the ProZ.com Blue Board.)

I kindly ask the posters of the de-vetted posts to edit their messages taking out any reference to outsourcers. If you can no longer edit because it has been more than 24 hours since you posted, please feel free to re-post without any reference to an outsourcer.

Those who wish to provide company names, please contact the thread poster personally.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
Özden

[Edited at 2007-02-14 11:42]

meravb
meravb
English
TOPIC STARTER
just to make sure Feb 14, 2007

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Dear all,

Discussions of specific outsourcers, be it in a negative, positive, or neutral way, are not allowed in Proz.com forums, nor are any other references that would identify an outsourcer.

I kindly ask the posters of the de-vetted posts to edit their messages taking out any reference to outsourcers. If you can no longer edit because it has been more than 24 hours since you posted, please feel free to re-post without any reference to an outsourcer.

Those who wish to provide company names, please contact the thread poster personally.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
Özden

[Edited at 2007-02-14 11:42]

so just to make sure -

people can name companies they just can't say that they worked for those companies?

is it OK to name the companies?

[Edited at 2007-02-14 15:47]

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
No information that would identify a company is allowed Feb 14, 2007

Hi Meravb,

To answer your question: no, naming outsourcers directly or providing information that would identify them is not permitted.

Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically. Posts or comments regarding a specific outsourcer (identified by name, reference, link or other means), whether positive or negative, are not permitted.

That's why I asked participants to contact you directly if they wanted to provide names of companies.

Hope this helps. And please feel free to ask if it doesn't.

Best regards,
Özden

meravb
meravb
English
TOPIC STARTER
so here is my mail - Feb 15, 2007

First then I would like to apologize for asking something that is not allowed according to the forum rules.

Second if some of the people that are viewing this topic can mail me the names of the companies they are familiar with worldwide that would be a tremendous help.
And just to make it more accessible here is my mail again – [email protected]

Thank you so much!!!

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you, meravb Feb 15, 2007

Wishing you the best of luck.

Regards,
Özden

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
All you have to do... Feb 17, 2007

...is to use a search engine like Google, and search for key words like subtitling, subtitles, film subtitles, etc.
If you only write in: "subtitling companies" this way, and don't even use the other expressions mentioned above, you will get over 20 000 hits. That will keep you busy.

meravb
meravb
English
TOPIC STARTER
I am actually aware of the google option Feb 18, 2007

juvera wrote:

...is to use a search engine like Google, and search for key words like subtitling, subtitles, film subtitles, etc.
If you only write in: "subtitling companies" this way, and don't even use the other expressions mentioned above, you will get over 20 000 hits. That will keep you busy.

Thank you.

I am actually aware of the google option.

However I choose to post this request due to two reasons:

1. I am very interested in companies operating in the second and third world and those don’t necessarily have websites.
2. I am interested in the leading companies in the market not in the leading websites owners, and as we all know there is a big difference sometimes.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Know your industry Feb 18, 2007

meravb wrote:
1. I am very interested in companies operating in the second and third world and those don’t necessarily have websites.
2. I am interested in the leading companies in the market not in the leading websites owners, and as we all know there is a big difference sometimes.

The answer to your first point:
This is a computerised industry. I cannot immagine even a third world company operating without a website, if they are doing subtitling. Either they do have one, or they don't work in this filed.
The second point is more difficult, but with a bit of ingenuity you can work out which ones are the leading companies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with your knowledge about subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »