Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2007

Hi again everyone!

A new client has sent me .txt subtitles to work with them on Subtitle Workshop but when I try to load them I keep getting a message that states that the subtitles may be corrupted or the format is not compatible, so I cannot open them.

The client has sent me the same subtitles in TLS and RTF but cannot open these ones either...

My guess is: could it be due to the fact that they are using wincaps to create the subtitles and there might be
... See more
Hi again everyone!

A new client has sent me .txt subtitles to work with them on Subtitle Workshop but when I try to load them I keep getting a message that states that the subtitles may be corrupted or the format is not compatible, so I cannot open them.

The client has sent me the same subtitles in TLS and RTF but cannot open these ones either...

My guess is: could it be due to the fact that they are using wincaps to create the subtitles and there might be incompatibility between subtitles created with Wincaps and opening them in Subtitle Workshop?

Ty!

Herminia
Collapse

Matthew Holway
Matthew Holway  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
subtitles Jun 12, 2007

Herminia Herrandiz Espuny wrote:

Hi again everyone!

My guess is: could it be due to the fact that they are using wincaps to create the subtitles and there might be incompatibility between subtitles created with Wincaps and opening them in Subtitle Workshop?

Ty!

Herminia

Have you used wincaps, or Spot, or Roxxy DVit ?? I'm looking to buying subtitling software..
What would you reccomend?

Alan Kelly
Alan Kelly
Canada
Local time: 19:17
English
Open w Notepad Jun 12, 2007

Might you open the subject file with the Windows Notepad program?

It is easy, fast, and on all Windows computers.

Is the subject file withOUT any extension which would corrupt the default program reading that file?

i.e., the default extension for TXT files is ... .txt

Sorry to bore you.

Alan

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:17
English
+ ...
It could be due to the timecode, font and positioning information Aug 2, 2007

Wincaps can export all of the subtitle information, including caption number, in and out times, text colour, positioning etc.

If your system can't handle that, I'd recommend opening the file in word or notepad and stripping out the irrelevant information or changing the formatting so that you can open the files. Failing that, you can copy and paste the text across. It's time-consuming, I know, but faster than retyping.

Flora Perez
Flora Perez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Subtitle Workshop vs WinCaps Aug 30, 2007

You are right,

Subtitle Workshop and WinCaps are not compatible.

If you export a document from SW in subrip format, you will see in the preview window that it has a specific format when seen in Word. You have to open that same format.

You can open:

- a SubRip (.srt)
- a Spruce Subtitle file (.stl)
- all the ones in the list when you select: save as...

The .stl is compatible with most programs.

I am now usin
... See more
You are right,

Subtitle Workshop and WinCaps are not compatible.

If you export a document from SW in subrip format, you will see in the preview window that it has a specific format when seen in Word. You have to open that same format.

You can open:

- a SubRip (.srt)
- a Spruce Subtitle file (.stl)
- all the ones in the list when you select: save as...

The .stl is compatible with most programs.

I am now using SPOT, but my favourite program ever is WinCaps. I recommend it

Regards,

Flora
Collapse

Saoul (X)
Saoul (X)
Italian to English
Sorry to bring this issue back... :) Nov 22, 2007

Hi there,

great forums. Pretty interesting. I'm new here, so sorry if I make anything wrong! This all just needs some little getting used to.

I've read posts about the different software compatibility here and there but I failed to find relevant infos about the existence of a freeware software that can edit Wincaps files and whose edited files (*.stl) are then going to be working on Wincaps again.

I've got this client. I generally don't do subtitles, just
... See more
Hi there,

great forums. Pretty interesting. I'm new here, so sorry if I make anything wrong! This all just needs some little getting used to.

I've read posts about the different software compatibility here and there but I failed to find relevant infos about the existence of a freeware software that can edit Wincaps files and whose edited files (*.stl) are then going to be working on Wincaps again.

I've got this client. I generally don't do subtitles, just dubbing translations. They're going to need subtitles for a couple of months or so, and I really don't want to buy an expensive software like Wincaps for just like three movies or something.

I'm using Subtitle Workshop right now, but even though it works pretty smoothly, colors and backgrounds don't read, too bad, since this is really the main part of this job, here.

I look forward to hearing from all of you, and I thank you in advance for your help.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Who uses Wincaps? Nov 22, 2007

Amazingly, I couldn't find any reference to Wincaps neither in the Videohelp nor the Doom9 sites, though I found the SysMedia web site through Altavista.

Wincaps seems to be a loner, developed apart from all other standards.

Maybe it's like Adobe's FrameMaker (DTP). Adobe's InDesign, of course, is able to open PageMaker (its predecessor) files, and even QuarkXpress (competitor) files, but not their own FrameMaker's. This is what I mean by a "loner".

Saoul (X)
Saoul (X)
Italian to English
Who uses Wincaps... some unfortunately do! Nov 23, 2007

José Henrique, first of all, thanks for your quick and detailed answer.
At least I know that it was not me who couldn't find infos... it's just that there's no compatible software.

I'll let you know if I come up with something experimenting (and tempering a bit with) other softwares.

Thanks again,
Saoul

Wincaps "It is posible to change the time code to zero(0) if a i have a file starting with 1?" May 13, 2010

I have a 1 hour file that has a time code starting example of 1 it is posible to change this to zero?

Thank you very for your help.

Leor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wincaps subtitles in Subtitle Workshop?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »