Choosing a subtitling software: Titlebee, FinalSub, Poliscript Create, Wincaps?
Thread poster: Tuulia Tipa
Tuulia Tipa
Tuulia Tipa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:01
English to Finnish
+ ...
Feb 2, 2018

I've been doing subtitling for several years, using the companies' proprietary software. Now, I have some new clients who would like me to purchase my own professional software. I can't afford anything as expensive as EZTitles or Titlevision. Are there other ones that are (almost) as good? What would you recommend? What are the pros and cons?

Lau Wei Tsinn

bbclaura
bbclaura
Jordan
Local time: 10:01
Arabic to English
+ ...
The best subtitling software Feb 3, 2018

Hi Tuulia, we have been using Titlebee for a year and strongly recommend it. We can display up to 10 languages side by side with spell checking working on all of them and it exports into many formats including SRT and STL. It also burns in subtitles on the video if required, or export a layer to use on Adobe Premiere or Final Cut. We evaluated EZTitles and other subtitling software but they all had steep learning curves and were pricier compared to Titlebee. They have a free bronze license you c... See more
Hi Tuulia, we have been using Titlebee for a year and strongly recommend it. We can display up to 10 languages side by side with spell checking working on all of them and it exports into many formats including SRT and STL. It also burns in subtitles on the video if required, or export a layer to use on Adobe Premiere or Final Cut. We evaluated EZTitles and other subtitling software but they all had steep learning curves and were pricier compared to Titlebee. They have a free bronze license you can try here: http://www.titlebee.com/signup.aspx Good luck!Collapse

Tuulia Tipa
Tuulia Tipa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cloud storage / NDA Feb 5, 2018

Dear bbclaura,

Thanks for this. In another thread, I read that Titlebee actually saves the work to the cloud without giving you access to it (which would mean a breach of any NDA). Can you say anything about this?

Yuguang Guo
Yuguang Guo
China
Local time: 15:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Camtasia Studio Feb 5, 2018

Hi,
I think Camtasia Studio is also a good software.
Plus, there's a website named dotsub.com which focusing on adding subtitles to videos.

Lau Wei Tsinn
Lau Wei Tsinn  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 15:01
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Currently using Subtitle Workshop Jun 26, 2018

Tuulia Tipa wrote:

I've been doing subtitling for several years, using the companies' proprietary software. Now, I have some new clients who would like me to purchase my own professional software. I can't afford anything as expensive as EZTitles or Titlevision. Are there other ones that are (almost) as good? What would you recommend? What are the pros and cons?

Hi Tuulia,

I was in the same situation as you, i.e. producing work using my clients' proprietary software for some years and having to start looking for my own software. I am currently using Subtitle Workshop, which can be downloaded online for free. It works for me as a starting point. Currently, it allows me to deliver work according to client requirements.

There is a subtitling pool on ProZ.com - https://www.proz.com/pools/subtitlers. You can check out what software other subtitlers are using.

Anyway, I can see that your post is dated February, so you may have found a software that works for you by now. Would you care to share how your subtitling software search went for you?

Best regards,
Wei

Michel Virasolvy

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Just the fact they demand you to comply doesn't mean you should Jun 29, 2018

Went from Aegisub to Subtitle Edit to deliver in most formats, tried Workshop but it didn't meet my requirements. From experience, what I can tell is that if your client won't work with you because you don't have some pricey software, it just means they're partners in crime and you're in for a scam. You're the subtitling expert, you choose your tools according to your business needs, and considering my own portfolio contains rather well-known clients in IT, they'd better be [censored] big player... See more
Went from Aegisub to Subtitle Edit to deliver in most formats, tried Workshop but it didn't meet my requirements. From experience, what I can tell is that if your client won't work with you because you don't have some pricey software, it just means they're partners in crime and you're in for a scam. You're the subtitling expert, you choose your tools according to your business needs, and considering my own portfolio contains rather well-known clients in IT, they'd better be [censored] big players if you really want to have them among your clients. I also noticed that only old companies from the 80s tend to ask for specific software such as Ayato 3 or Wincaps Q4 mainly because they're still using proprietary file formats ‘for security reasons’ and ‘compatibility with Adobe Première’ using ‘sidecar files’ (sic). Even today I really don't see why “buy” (it's not even a purchase, since they're mostly SaaS) any of these “professional” solutions (my clients are professionals alright and none of them complained with me using Subtile Edit & Mencoder).

[Modifié le 2018-06-29 10:11 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Milan Radivojevic

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing a subtitling software: Titlebee, FinalSub, Poliscript Create, Wincaps?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »