Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 4, 2011

Hi there,

I posted a similar thread a couple of years back, but I wonder if there is something new out there...

My situation is as follows: a couple of years ago I did a smaller sample for my local university; they wanted a video they had produced transcribed, translated and subtitled.

The sample was done using Jubler which worked kind of fine, but I must confess
1) I didn't really master it
2) I can't remember how it works
This is to sa
... See more
Hi there,

I posted a similar thread a couple of years back, but I wonder if there is something new out there...

My situation is as follows: a couple of years ago I did a smaller sample for my local university; they wanted a video they had produced transcribed, translated and subtitled.

The sample was done using Jubler which worked kind of fine, but I must confess
1) I didn't really master it
2) I can't remember how it works
This is to say that I don't mind trying new.

They liked the final result, but they lacked the funds to move on. Now the funds have arrived (at long last:).

Although the details are still very fuzzy they will want some number of videos (interviews to local artists) subtitled into Italian (or English or both) and get a full transcription of the dialogue. There will be some 20+ videos like that, so the project will keep me busy for some time.

My ideal workflow would be to create subtitles in the original language, export them in a suitable format, translate them to create a transcript in both languages and then import the translated subtitles.

All this on a MAC!!! (most software seems to be for pc, which surprises me quite a lot).

It will be at least a month before I have to start work on this project, so I have time to examine various possibilities.
I would not be averse to buying software, but it cannot cost an arm and a leg, after all the budget is limited.

Any advice/ideas/suggestions are very welcome.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A few comments Mar 4, 2011

Though I began my computing life with an Apple II, I've never touched a Mac. Nevertheless I often translate and spot subtitles for people who will be burning them with a Mac.

AFAIK all of them use either Adobe Premiere or Final Cut. Most of the time they ask me for plain text subtitles in a DOC (MS Word) file, and tell me they'll copy&paste them one by one to Premiere. So I guess there are no inexpensive, nor easy, nor quick solutions for the Mac. I might be wrong, though. Let's hea
... See more
Though I began my computing life with an Apple II, I've never touched a Mac. Nevertheless I often translate and spot subtitles for people who will be burning them with a Mac.

AFAIK all of them use either Adobe Premiere or Final Cut. Most of the time they ask me for plain text subtitles in a DOC (MS Word) file, and tell me they'll copy&paste them one by one to Premiere. So I guess there are no inexpensive, nor easy, nor quick solutions for the Mac. I might be wrong, though. Let's hear what our Mac-using fellows have to say.

For PC/Windows, there is a lot of excellent video freeware around. In spite of being free, the results are definitely professional. The catch, as one freeware developer aptly puts it, is that interfaces are most often user-unfriendly, and there is no product support other than possibly user forums. The unfriendly interface doesn't mean it will attack you , however it requires you to know what you are doing, and set the right parameters unaided. There are never any 'wizards' that will ask you questions and, from your answers, automatically configure the countless metrics that have to be set. Trial-and-error often replaces actual knowledge.

On another front, I wouldn't build subtitles in the original language to translate them thereafter, unless you are the type that wouldn't be able to light a cigarette without Trados. I create subtitles directly from the video (actually the audio). A script, when a matching one is provided (rare!), is quite useful for you to spell, say, 'Wojechszlecki' properly without using Google.

Unless better (= more affordable) options are offered with the Mac, one additional possibility is weighing the cost of Mac software against buying an adequate secondhand/refurb PC and using freeware.

Finally, a visit to http://www.videohelp.com is always worthwhile.
Collapse

Susanne Creak
Susanne Creak  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:55
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Annotation Edit Mar 4, 2011

I use Annotation Edit and have been happy with it so far. Have to say though that I have not used it enough to really comment here on all of its features and whether it will do all you want. There are good descriptions available though on their websi... See more
I use Annotation Edit and have been happy with it so far. Have to say though that I have not used it enough to really comment here on all of its features and whether it will do all you want. There are good descriptions available though on their website, and a demo version as well:
http://www.zeitanker.com/content/tools/zeitanker_tools/zeitanker_annotation_edit/
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for that Mar 4, 2011

Susanne Creak wrote:

I use Annotation Edit and have been happy with it so far. Have to say though that I have not used it enough to really comment here on all of its features and whether it will do all you want. There are good descriptions available though on their website, and a demo version as well:
http://www.zeitanker.com/content/tools/zeitanker_tools/zeitanker_annotation_edit/

I think I'll have a go at the trial version (and the full version at €245 is quite cheap). Strange I didn't find it when I searched on Google.

Hi José Henrique,

thanks for you, as usual, very informative reply.

Why are you saying this?
On another front, I wouldn't build subtitles in the original language to translate them thereafter, unless you are the type that wouldn't be able to light a cigarette without Trados. I create subtitles directly from the video (actually the audio). A script, when a matching one is provided (rare!), is quite useful for you to spell, say, 'Wojechszlecki' properly without using Google.

As I will need the transcription of the original and translated text, is it not quicker to start by subtitling in the original language and then exporting the file?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:55
French to German
+ ...
See this one. Mar 4, 2011

http://tinyurl.com/mac-subtitling-software

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating subtitles on a Mac

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »