Speaker Syntactic Errors - what should I do?
Thread poster: Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
May 24, 2010

Hello All!

I am currently working on a small transcribing project. It is an interview with a simple lady, she speaks well and clear, but does some syntactic errors, like changing the normal order of words in sentence, using a lot of "şi" (Romanian "and"). Starts to say something, then stops and rethinks the sentence and says it in another way, etc.

What should I do in such cases? How should my written text look like? Should I change the text, to make it correct from a
... See more
Hello All!

I am currently working on a small transcribing project. It is an interview with a simple lady, she speaks well and clear, but does some syntactic errors, like changing the normal order of words in sentence, using a lot of "şi" (Romanian "and"). Starts to say something, then stops and rethinks the sentence and says it in another way, etc.

What should I do in such cases? How should my written text look like? Should I change the text, to make it correct from a grammatical point of view?

I'd appreciate your help! Thank you!

Veronica.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It all depends on the purpose May 24, 2010

For instance, if it were for dubbing a video, for some reason evidencing that the lady (?) is uneducated, you would preserve such errors or, at best, create equivalent ones in the target language. However if the main reason to have you translate is to publish her views/ideas in another language, you should correct all errors.

Once a very experienced video dubber taught me: If the person onscreen stutters, makes mistakes, stumbles on words, changes the subject halfway on a phrase, it
... See more
For instance, if it were for dubbing a video, for some reason evidencing that the lady (?) is uneducated, you would preserve such errors or, at best, create equivalent ones in the target language. However if the main reason to have you translate is to publish her views/ideas in another language, you should correct all errors.

Once a very experienced video dubber taught me: If the person onscreen stutters, makes mistakes, stumbles on words, changes the subject halfway on a phrase, it's natural. If the dubber follows suit, it's amateur translation and incompetent dubbing. That's why it's OK to dub trained actors and speakers, however improptu statements made by a John Doe on the street look better when subtitled.
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 24, 2010

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Once a very experienced video dubber taught me: If the person onscreen stutters, makes mistakes, stumbles on words, changes the subject halfway on a phrase, it's natural. If the dubber follows suit, it's amateur translation and incompetent dubbing. That's why it's OK to dub trained actors and speakers, however improptu statements made by a John Doe on the street look better when subtitled.

Actually no translation is involved. I am only transcribing Romanian to Romanian text, from a video. That woman talks about her religious experience, so I think it is better to correct the errors.

Thank you, José!

Flavia Martins dos Santos
Flavia Martins dos Santos  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Keep the style May 24, 2010

As far as I am concerned I think you have to maintain the style of the speaker, that's what i would do considering that you are just transcribing the conversation.

That is her style and her way, it can't be altered.

This is my opinion.

Flávia

Veronica Lupascu
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well May 25, 2010

I tried to keep the style and made only few tiny tiny changes, where found it really necessary...

Thank you both for helping!

Veronica

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:51
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
purpose of the transcription May 25, 2010

I would have to agree with José and Flavia. It depends very much of the purpose of the transcribed text. I would check with the client before delivery.
To give you an example, in transcriptions of interviews with psychiatric patients it is extremely important to transcribe even the sounds they make, when they pause, how many times they go "errr", the exact words they use and the way they speak. If your client has not provided clear instructions and you have doubts, you need to ask your c
... See more
I would have to agree with José and Flavia. It depends very much of the purpose of the transcribed text. I would check with the client before delivery.
To give you an example, in transcriptions of interviews with psychiatric patients it is extremely important to transcribe even the sounds they make, when they pause, how many times they go "errr", the exact words they use and the way they speak. If your client has not provided clear instructions and you have doubts, you need to ask your client. I would not assume it is not important unless the client confirms it.
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting example May 25, 2010

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

To give you an example, in transcriptions of interviews with psychiatric patients it is extremely important to transcribe even the sounds they make, when they pause, how many times they go "errr", the exact words they use and the way they speak. If your client has not provided clear instructions and you have doubts, you need to ask your client. I would not assume it is not important unless the client confirms it.

I didn't think about it. It was not my case, but it is good to know.

I contacted the PM before delivery and they found it alright to remove annoying repetitions. I tried anyway to be close to the text and I think I made about five minor changes, not more. Asking the client was the best idea.

It depends on situations, of course. It was my first project in transcription

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speaker Syntactic Errors - what should I do?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »