Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 10, 2010

I agreed to do a subtitling. The source texts are in a Word-file, with the timer in one row and the subtitle in two consecutive rows, separated by hard breaks and with leading dots.

.......first row
.......second row

I wonder if someone has an idea how this could be done easily. If I overwrite the texts, I later cannot easily compare my translation to the source, and it is not so easy to split and shorten the lines. I thought of a CAT tool like SDLX in tabular vie
... See more
I agreed to do a subtitling. The source texts are in a Word-file, with the timer in one row and the subtitle in two consecutive rows, separated by hard breaks and with leading dots.

.......first row
.......second row

I wonder if someone has an idea how this could be done easily. If I overwrite the texts, I later cannot easily compare my translation to the source, and it is not so easy to split and shorten the lines. I thought of a CAT tool like SDLX in tabular view, but maybe there is something better?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Ulozas
Ulozas
Luxembourg
Local time: 07:56
Freeware style May 10, 2010

Hello, Heinrich,

I just wrote you an answer and re-read the question So here's the second opinion

Open two Word docs side by side and simply rewrite the copy. Just like an ordinary translation. And a CAT tool is definitely a good idea! Just try Anaphraseus tool (free, TWB segmentation compat
... See more
Hello, Heinrich,

I just wrote you an answer and re-read the question So here's the second opinion

Open two Word docs side by side and simply rewrite the copy. Just like an ordinary translation. And a CAT tool is definitely a good idea! Just try Anaphraseus tool (free, TWB segmentation compatible, install from http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net). It runs on MS Word and OpenOffice Writer, whichever you have bought. If you have the original segment saved, you may later refer to it, search for it, edit the translation etc.

For the leading dots: if there are always the same number of them, just search for "....." and replace by "" (nill), then reinsert into the final translation. That way you will not mess your memory file and will be able to reuse it afterwards.
If the dots vary in nuber, then I'd suggest to strip them and later run everything through MS Excel, OOO Calc, Google Docs, do a simple math and assemble (CONCATENATE) the result in another column for exporting.
Example: Put your text in A1. 30 is your fixed line length, then in A2 paste the formula =CONCATENATE(rept(".",30-LEN(A1)),A1) . That's it. See in Google docs: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgCfKEWvA3XRdExMb09fRlBZMjBfZjZEM1I5M0VvclE&hl=en_GB

If you need an advice, write me to translations eta ulozas dot com

Regards,

Ricardas

[Edited at 2010-05-10 11:30 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem was no May 10, 2010

It turned out I can translate in Trados TE or other tools, because the stuff is formatted accordingly. In TE I only see the text and nothing else.
There will be a need for editing in Word, if I have to use two lines where the source has only one.

Regards
Heinrich

Ulozas
Ulozas
Luxembourg
Splitting or a blank source segment May 10, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
There will be a need for editing in Word, if I have to use two lines where the source has only one.

I'm not familiar with Trados TE, but generally you should be able to split the source segment or insert a blank one and have two on the translation side. It is not quite correct but it will work. It works in plaintext too.

If you don't see something in word, customise your options to show hidden text (and maybe fields or other necessary information).

Regards,

Ricardas

Thierry Renon
Thierry Renon  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
One idea May 11, 2010

Hello Heinrich,

One idea is to replace the source text by the translation in the Word file, then review the Word file along with the video. You can do this by opening the video and reducing the Word file to the bottom of the screen (to make it look like real subtitles, then scroll down as you go along).

This has 2 advantages:

1. You can hear the source as you go along to double-check the meaning/etc.

2. You can check the speed of the subtitles
... See more
Hello Heinrich,

One idea is to replace the source text by the translation in the Word file, then review the Word file along with the video. You can do this by opening the video and reducing the Word file to the bottom of the screen (to make it look like real subtitles, then scroll down as you go along).

This has 2 advantages:

1. You can hear the source as you go along to double-check the meaning/etc.

2. You can check the speed of the subtitles (a common problem in French, which is always longer than English) and then edit down accordingly.

This is also the closest you will get to a genuine rehearsal of the subtitle file, if you haven't got the software.

Hope this helps.

Thierry
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What I do May 11, 2010

I do this sort of stuff pretty regularly. As you noticed, the time codes don't cause any trouble because Trados just skips them. But the mid-sentence line breaks annoy me... I don't like translating half-sentences. So I get rid of them, translate, clean up, then insert line breaks where I need them.

Word search and replace can do it pretty easily, especially if each line has the same amount of dots.

The forum is useless for posting code so I won't even try to post an ex
... See more
I do this sort of stuff pretty regularly. As you noticed, the time codes don't cause any trouble because Trados just skips them. But the mid-sentence line breaks annoy me... I don't like translating half-sentences. So I get rid of them, translate, clean up, then insert line breaks where I need them.

Word search and replace can do it pretty easily, especially if each line has the same amount of dots.

The forum is useless for posting code so I won't even try to post an example of the replacements I use... post a snippet of your original if you want to know how to do the replacements.
Collapse

another option Jul 29, 2010

You could try importing the file into www.subtitleyourvideo.com software. It sets up columns in the Translation and Review Center that let you compare your work with the original side by side. When you export, it will keep the same timecodes paired with your translation.
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any tool for doc-files?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »