Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
suesimons
suesimons  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
Portuguese to English
Kudos toolbar Aug 20, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Sorry, people, I've just noticed the toolbar in my IE. My apologies -- it works!

[Edited at 2005-08-19 16:13]

No, I can't find it on my IE toolbar. Any ideas? I have tried closing all web pages, and switching off computer and re-booting. But I still can't find the toolbar. Should it be with the Screensavers, Smiley, Cursor Mania etc? I am still on W98!
Thanks for ideas.

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 16:21
German to English
+ ...
if "native speaker" is of such importance, you need to enlarge the input slot Aug 20, 2005

I am not a "native German speaker" and therefore do not declare it. I am a SWISS GERMAN native speaker, and there is no slot for this, just as there is nothing for AUSTRIAN GERMAN. In short:
if you want to become bureaucrats and create more red-tape, at least do it in a democratic fashion, treating all nationalities in the same way.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
French to English
Is maintenance still being performed on the dashboard? Aug 20, 2005

I have tried to filter out the same members but it still keeps telling me that I am not filtering out any members. I assume this is a bugged that is being worked out - and btw, I really like the idea of filtering - but I figured I would just post this here as I'm wondering whether or not I'm the only one having this problem, or if it's a site problem that everyone is having. Thanks!

I think once all these bugs are worked out, which will be soon enough, the site will be greatly imp
... See more
I have tried to filter out the same members but it still keeps telling me that I am not filtering out any members. I assume this is a bugged that is being worked out - and btw, I really like the idea of filtering - but I figured I would just post this here as I'm wondering whether or not I'm the only one having this problem, or if it's a site problem that everyone is having. Thanks!

I think once all these bugs are worked out, which will be soon enough, the site will be greatly improved. It's obvious that the ProZ.com staff has been working hard to try to accomodate the requests and feedback from many members. Thanks for that.
Collapse

Kieran McCann
Kieran McCann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:21
German to English
+ ...
Babies and bathwater Aug 20, 2005

Firstly, congratulations on the amount of thought and work that has gone into the changes. No doubt there will be initial hiccups and perhaps alterations, but the idea of constantly trying to improve things must be right.

I have to agree, however, with those who feel the new format for kudoz Q&A is too complex. A considerable part of the success of the site, imho, is down to the concise but effective layout, telling you everything you need to know in an accessible and user-friendly
... See more
Firstly, congratulations on the amount of thought and work that has gone into the changes. No doubt there will be initial hiccups and perhaps alterations, but the idea of constantly trying to improve things must be right.

I have to agree, however, with those who feel the new format for kudoz Q&A is too complex. A considerable part of the success of the site, imho, is down to the concise but effective layout, telling you everything you need to know in an accessible and user-friendly way. In the case of Kudoz, this has meant clear presentation of questions and answers, allowing the user to focus on the linguistic issues and contributions, assess them rapidly and formulate a possible response. Result: superb (well, usually) forum for genuine professional translation issues.

The new format, however, has so much other stuff prominently displayed that it's quite hard work to focus on the question and answers at all. Information relating to the question and asker, previously contained in one broad heading, now takes up a large part of the page, with the question itself almost appearing as a footnote, while the answers are overshadowed by additional information about the answerer.

Moreover, the information about the answerer, imho, is irrelevant. Again, the strength of the existing system, and one of the main reasons it flourishes, is that it focusses on the quality of the answer, whereas the unspoken implication of the new system seems to be that the past record/claims of expertise/language pairs posted/native speaker status of the answerer are a guarantee of the quality of his/her contribution: I'm here to tell you that that is far from being the case.

Even in the updated old format, the symbols appearing next to the answerer's name serve no purpose, imo, and are simply a distraction. If people want to check on the background of an answerer, they are able to do so simply by going to the profile page.

Finally, I feel it is precisely the uncluttered, open-to-all approach, where answers are judged solely on their quality that has made Kudoz such a valuable resource. I feel that emphasising the record/claims/background/membership status of the answerers upfront goes against that spirit.

Right, that's it, rant over.
Collapse

colemh
colemh
Local time: 09:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
my two cents Aug 20, 2005

I have not looked at all features, but so far so good, it’s a huge effort and thanks are in order.

With respect to the new KudoZ layouts, I must confess that when I first looked at them, there was a certain feeling of rejection. After a while I was able to pin point what I did not like: Layout distribution, much space is given to:
- Upper title and subtitles
- Information placed to the right side of the answer (leaves a huge empty space on the answer area, when small a
... See more
I have not looked at all features, but so far so good, it’s a huge effort and thanks are in order.

With respect to the new KudoZ layouts, I must confess that when I first looked at them, there was a certain feeling of rejection. After a while I was able to pin point what I did not like: Layout distribution, much space is given to:
- Upper title and subtitles
- Information placed to the right side of the answer (leaves a huge empty space on the answer area, when small a explanation is included)
- Information and asker details

There is too much information in the layout, not sure all of it is important. Even though there is an attempt to work with colors the truth of the matter is, that relevant information (for example the question) is lost in so much data. Maybe look for a different font, color, size or a line delimiter. Consider eliminating some information, and for those that want to look at all the information, put a (some) button(s) that can display an additional information window.

Can you consider smaller line spacing? Maybe rearranging information, for example what is being placed vertically, be placed horizontally? The final objective, avoid the need to scroll down (many times) to see all answers. Keep it clear and simple.

Went and looked for a glossary entry and now only the names of platinum members are visible. I understand platinum members deserve a special recognition but …… can you look for a way to maintain the original idea and return non-platinum members their lost identity. It is discouraging to say the least, to see that many people have placed their contributions and don’t even get the recognition for it. Now I can’t even find my own.

It has always been my impression that it was up to the answerer to determine which was the most valuable answer. I have seen many horrid replies form people that have placed a language as their native language or are platinum members. I feel it is far-fetched and discriminating.

It’s a shame that you limit the possibility of answering a question. It is true that you maybe filtering meaningless replies, but keep in mind that it’s also preventing potential useful answers. It is easier to turn your head away (or just include his/her name in your colleagues flags and filters) and don’t pay attention to senseless answers than to regain what can be lost by preventing people’s participation. Discrimination has always been a nasty issue, if many countries and people have made titanic efforts to eliminate it, why are we to encourage it?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »