Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:34
French to English
+ ...
It is machine translation Feb 22, 2007

NMR, it isn't pretranslated with Trados, it's machine translation - there are some examples of the 'raw' material on the website you gave.

Bear in mind, though, that this isn't Babelfish or Google Translate - the EU will have invested considerably in their MT system, and it will give better results than free online versions.

Presumably this job could be split. It's hard to see, though, what added value the agency brings to such a job (apart from assembling a team of e
... See more
NMR, it isn't pretranslated with Trados, it's machine translation - there are some examples of the 'raw' material on the website you gave.

Bear in mind, though, that this isn't Babelfish or Google Translate - the EU will have invested considerably in their MT system, and it will give better results than free online versions.

Presumably this job could be split. It's hard to see, though, what added value the agency brings to such a job (apart from assembling a team of editors if necessary, which is hardly rocket science).
Collapse

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
EU jobs? Feb 22, 2007

NMR wrote:

people who are interested and who meet qualifications, can always apply directly with EU.

Dream on - do you really believe the European Union will you give a job of - lets say - 500 pages? What, if you get sick? So they prefer agencies.

The requirements of the EU are pretty high and most translators have no chance to fulfil them.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
aha (or is that ahem?) Feb 22, 2007

Today I received a query from one of my regular clients (a German agency) for the 'Lastenheften' job, with the request to say what 'Kapazitäten" I would have available. As I have the impression that it's a a relatively small agency, I was curious why they were considering the job. After all, just do the simple maths: assuming 1 page per hour (a reasonable rule of thumb for technical translation, assuming the translator is familiar with the subject and little or no research is necessary), you ne... See more
Today I received a query from one of my regular clients (a German agency) for the 'Lastenheften' job, with the request to say what 'Kapazitäten" I would have available. As I have the impression that it's a a relatively small agency, I was curious why they were considering the job. After all, just do the simple maths: assuming 1 page per hour (a reasonable rule of thumb for technical translation, assuming the translator is familiar with the subject and little or no research is necessary), you need around 60 full-time translators to handle the load (or working with the numbers I was given -- 750 document with 60 pages per document on average, to be delivered in 3 months -- 90 full-time translators). Who's kidding whom here?

And then there's the question of consistency. This approach is guaranteed to give mutually inconsistent results, which is the last thing you want with spec documents. Given the likelyhood of a fair amount of commonality among the documents, and possibly a significant amount of repetition (boilerplate), it would seem better to take a staged approach -- do a few documents first, review them, clean up your TM, and then tackle the rest.

This gives the distinct impression of being a job commissioned by someone who doesn't have the foggiest blue notion of what translation is about.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 22:43]

[Edited at 2007-02-22 22:47]
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
The MT'd EU texts Feb 23, 2007

If the translation job announcement indicates that these are MT'd texts, then they are simply MT'd texts.
Not all documents translated by the EC's SdT are sent through MT. Certain text types are selected for such a translation process.

This concerns the EC-SYSTRAN system which was originally purchased back in the mid-1970s and has undergone much lexical terminology work by EC teams over the past few decades.

The following conference article and book chapter ex
... See more
If the translation job announcement indicates that these are MT'd texts, then they are simply MT'd texts.
Not all documents translated by the EC's SdT are sent through MT. Certain text types are selected for such a translation process.

This concerns the EC-SYSTRAN system which was originally purchased back in the mid-1970s and has undergone much lexical terminology work by EC teams over the past few decades.

The following conference article and book chapter explain how the SdT has been implementing this. The CLAW2000 conference article provides an analysis of the postedited MT output texts:

ALLEN, Jeff and Christopher HOGAN. 2000. Toward the development of a post-editing module for Machine Translation raw output. Presented at the Third International Controlled Language Applications Workshop (CLAW2000), held in Seattle, Washington, 29-30 April 2000.
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/allen-hogan-claw.doc

ALLEN, Jeff. 2003. Post-editing. In Computers and Translation: A Translators Guide. Edited by Harold Somers. Benjamins Translation Library, 35. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. (ISBN 90 272 1640 1).
http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=BTL_35
Draft of submitted chapter is here:
http://www.cs.um.edu.mt/~mros/diptran/doc/somers-handbook/7-Allen.doc

Jeff
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffallen
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer involving the proof-reading of machine translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »