Autor wątku: arterm
arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 23:01
angielski > rosyjski
Oct 19, 2005

Last night our office was robbed.
This case made me think that there may be other people who are not prepared too.
I think I was innocent until today.
Thus, I wanted to advise every translator to be prepared in advance:
1) Have a safe backup of ALL files in a place physically located away from where you work. It is better to back-up files on a daily basis. Or you can have a laptop that will be always with you. While the same files will be in the office. I had two very per
... See more
Last night our office was robbed.
This case made me think that there may be other people who are not prepared too.
I think I was innocent until today.
Thus, I wanted to advise every translator to be prepared in advance:
1) Have a safe backup of ALL files in a place physically located away from where you work. It is better to back-up files on a daily basis. Or you can have a laptop that will be always with you. While the same files will be in the office. I had two very personal laptops and this allowed me to keep my sanity when I got to the robbed office in the morning, because I knew I did not lose the files and e-mails.
2) Have a spare computer with all major softwares set up in another location, so that you can work even if all other computers are stolen.
3) Insure all your hardware
4) Set up antitheft system in your office or home office and connect it to police. Better to have an IP videosurveillance system which you could monitor from home or from any point in the world.
5) Buy and use Kensignton locks for every unit, they saved me two LCD monitors today.
6) Never let any aliens enter to your office, ever. Do not let them even to see what is happening, that is you should have some intermediary hall that wont let unexpected visitors to see what equipment do you have.
7) Always have extra funds that will be enough to cover the lost of at least half of your equipment and salaries if any.

Arterm
Collapse

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > polski
+ ...
Thanks for the warning Oct 19, 2005

Thanks for the sound advice.

I must admit that you were quite well prepared. I somehow still believe that burglary will not happen to me... But I will implement the points that you mentioned right now!

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
Insurance Oct 19, 2005

First of all, you have my sympathy.

Do you have an insurance? Any chance of getting the damage covered?

Natalia

[Edited at 2005-10-20 07:00]

arterm
Serbia
angielski > rosyjski
NOWY TEMAT
lost time Oct 20, 2005

Dear Natalia,

Unfortunately I did not have any insurance. Thus I had to cover the loss myself.
The bad thing about the story is lost time, it is even more expensive than the property

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Francja
francuski > angielski
Remote back-up? Oct 20, 2005

Jeez...I am so sorry that this has happened to you. What a nightmare. I hope you bounce back quickly from this.

I back up to an external HD every day. Of course, said HD is right next to my PC. If I were robbed or my apartment burned down or anytyhing, it is likely that both PC and HD would be lost. The idea of this happenings has crossed my mind more than once.

Remote back-up sounds like a great solution.

I recently received a sales call offering a system
... See more
Jeez...I am so sorry that this has happened to you. What a nightmare. I hope you bounce back quickly from this.

I back up to an external HD every day. Of course, said HD is right next to my PC. If I were robbed or my apartment burned down or anytyhing, it is likely that both PC and HD would be lost. The idea of this happenings has crossed my mind more than once.

Remote back-up sounds like a great solution.

I recently received a sales call offering a system with auto synch/back-up software much like my external HD. It sounded really practical. Only problem is...it's EXPENSIVE (I was quoted around 50 euros per month).

Does anybody out there know of any more reasonably-priced remote back-up solutions?

Thanks!

Sara
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Niemcy
angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
Linkmemo Oct 20, 2005

Hi,

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Does anybody out there know of any more reasonably-priced remote back-up solutions?

Thanks!

Sara

I tend to save at least running projects at www.linkmemo.com. Originally I started to use the programm to save my links and passwords to various sites when I was a student and didn't have own computer. The file storage (4MB) feature came later. It's free. It's in Finnish, but I think they have it in English as well.

Cheers
Natalia

Natalia Elo
Niemcy
angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
5MB Oct 20, 2005

Natalia Elo wrote:
The file storage (4MB) feature came later.

Cheers
Natalia

I checked it, it's 5 MB.

Natalia

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
I was lucky Oct 20, 2005

I was robbed once at a time I had a separate office. The only thing they took was a stereo set and, stupid enough, they forgot the remote control. But one of my favourite discs was loaded inside the CD player, so I lost it. Two computers, a fax machine, a scanner and a laser printer were left intact! Anyway, all my current work and important stuff was in a laptop which I always took with me.

Wish you recover quickly!
Cristóbal

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgia
Członek ProZ.com
angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
Connected Oct 20, 2005

Good morning,

You may want to try Connected data backup and data retrieval at www.connected.com
I use this on a daily basis.

And have a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 software at e.g.
... See more
Good morning,

You may want to try Connected data backup and data retrieval at www.connected.com
I use this on a daily basis.

And have a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 software at e.g.
http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/true-image-003.html?type=true%20image9

Good luck!
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Francja
francuski > angielski
Evert, this is exactly what I am looking for. Oct 20, 2005

Fantastic and reasonably priced.

Thanks for the tip!

Sara

arterm
Serbia
angielski > rosyjski
NOWY TEMAT
nice! Oct 21, 2005

I shall concider connected.com too

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

when your office is robbed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »