Translation of litterature/books
Téma indítója: Mette Kragholm (X)
Mette Kragholm (X)
Mette Kragholm (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:14
spanyol - dán
+ ...
Aug 25, 2005

I am a professional translator of business texts and the likes - i.e. the usual user Manuals, contracts, reports, etc.

However, I have started a little private project which is to translate a children's book that I read and enjoyed many times as a child.

I want to promote the translation of the book to publishers in my country, by sending them the first three chapters translated, and telling them about the wonders of the book.

I am not sure, though, how to
... See more
I am a professional translator of business texts and the likes - i.e. the usual user Manuals, contracts, reports, etc.

However, I have started a little private project which is to translate a children's book that I read and enjoyed many times as a child.

I want to promote the translation of the book to publishers in my country, by sending them the first three chapters translated, and telling them about the wonders of the book.

I am not sure, though, how to handle the financial aspects. What is the usual rate when translating a book? Do you ususally get paid by source word, as in business translations, or is there a standard arrangement of a fee per sold book or something like that?

I hope that someone can tell me a little about their experiences, so I don't seem like a complete novice in promoting the book...
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spanyolország
afrikaans - spanyol
+ ...
payment Aug 25, 2005

kragholm wrote:

I am not sure, though, how to handle the financial aspects. What is the usual rate when translating a book? Do you ususally get paid by source word, as in business translations, or is there a standard arrangement of a fee per sold book or something like that?

I hope that someone can tell me a little about their experiences, so I don't seem like a complete novice in promoting the book...
Usually the publisher pay you by page...

meladui
meladui
olasz - angol
+ ...
Yes, and what do we do about copyright? Aug 25, 2005

Hi, sorry I don't have an answer. I'm just replying because I have been thinking of doing something similar.

My problem is how to get started: i.e. do I need permission from the authors and original publishers before I contact local publishers to propose a translation?
And how do I find out if a book, although not yet published in my country, is already being translated?

Those of you who are more experienced, I appeal to your kindness in showing me the right path!
... See more
Hi, sorry I don't have an answer. I'm just replying because I have been thinking of doing something similar.

My problem is how to get started: i.e. do I need permission from the authors and original publishers before I contact local publishers to propose a translation?
And how do I find out if a book, although not yet published in my country, is already being translated?

Those of you who are more experienced, I appeal to your kindness in showing me the right path!!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finnország
Local time: 02:14
Tag (2003 óta)
finn - német
+ ...
The publisher must aquire the rights first Aug 25, 2005

Those who have the rights decide, who does the translation. With old books I doubt if publishers would be interested. Small publishers are easier to deal with than the big guys, "who are only in it for the money".
Good luck!

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 17:14
angol
You need permission from the copyright holder Aug 25, 2005

kragholm wrote:

Before you can do more than translate for enjoyment, you MUST get permission from the copyright holder (usually the author or publisher) to make a "derivative work". You can't start selling translations without it.

The payment to the translator may be a royalty - a certain % of the sales of that book in that language - perhaps with an advance. If you are approached by a publisher, they usually pay a flat fee, and you sign over all rights (work for hire).

Usually publishers work out the details - they themselves will be paying the original publisher and the author for the right to publish. They usually get the permissions, too.

Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)  Identity Verified
svéd - angol
Charging Aug 26, 2005

It has been interesting reading about copyright and so on. Meanwhile, if I were in your position, I would consider the following, for instance:

1) Does the rate I propose give me a living? Where my interest
is great, does this matter?
2) Does the quantity of work (i.e. length of employment)
compensate for the rate?
3) Will this translation further my own (professional) interests
or will it lead to nothing? Does this matter?

Maybe b
... See more
It has been interesting reading about copyright and so on. Meanwhile, if I were in your position, I would consider the following, for instance:

1) Does the rate I propose give me a living? Where my interest
is great, does this matter?
2) Does the quantity of work (i.e. length of employment)
compensate for the rate?
3) Will this translation further my own (professional) interests
or will it lead to nothing? Does this matter?

Maybe by a series of similar questions you'll be able to arrive at a rate you can propose to publishers. Good luck!
Mike Parsley

[Edited at 2005-08-26 07:17]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of litterature/books

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »