论题张贴者: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
Italian意大利语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Agency was grateful for my feedback Jul 18, 2005

I sent a brief email on Friday expressing my concerns, and received a reply thanking me and requesting examples of the errors. So I did the right thing

Thanks to you all for your advice, I very much appreciated it.

Marie-Helene

Karen Tucker (X)
Karen Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 16:10
French法语译成English英语
Be honest Oct 21, 2005

I both translate and edit for translation agencies and they do want to hear feedback about poor translations. These are agencies that put a high premium on quality and quality control and they want feedback from their editors. I also feel bad about criticizing other translators and only do so when the quality is truly awful or the translator has obviously not put much work into it. You can tell when a translator has potential and is really trying and when they don't have a good grasp of the sour... See more
I both translate and edit for translation agencies and they do want to hear feedback about poor translations. These are agencies that put a high premium on quality and quality control and they want feedback from their editors. I also feel bad about criticizing other translators and only do so when the quality is truly awful or the translator has obviously not put much work into it. You can tell when a translator has potential and is really trying and when they don't have a good grasp of the source language, have poor writing skills and/or don't take the time to do research (leaving it to the editor). So I think you should be honest with them. An editor should not have to completely rewrite a translation. I've done so and since I charge by the word, it makes really mad!

Karen
Collapse

话题中的页数:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ethical dilemma

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »