MS Windows Shortcuts
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
Swedish to English
Sep 11, 2005

I am running Windows XP sp2 (English) on my laptop with an external Swedish keyboard.

To switch languages I use the standard left alt + shift but then when trying to enter the @ symbol (or any other character accessed via a ctrl+alt+... shortcut) in any MS office application (on a Swedish keyboard this is ctrl+alt+2) it seems that this combination is set by default as a formatting shortcut that I am not familiar with.

My questions are:

1) Is there a shortcu
... See more
I am running Windows XP sp2 (English) on my laptop with an external Swedish keyboard.

To switch languages I use the standard left alt + shift but then when trying to enter the @ symbol (or any other character accessed via a ctrl+alt+... shortcut) in any MS office application (on a Swedish keyboard this is ctrl+alt+2) it seems that this combination is set by default as a formatting shortcut that I am not familiar with.

My questions are:

1) Is there a shortcut for switching language that also includes the default keyboard shortcuts for office applications? or is this a bug with windows?

2) If this is not possible how can I assign the F9 key to be the new shortcut for switching language in Windows on my pc? and the F10 to F12 keys as the windows shortcuts for the @,£ and $ symbols within windows (NOT just in the office applications - I already know how to do that!)

Many thanks, Ben Love
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:41
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Benjamin Sep 11, 2005

I use the same OS as yours but in Polish version. I use the Lef Ctrl+Shift to switch languages/keyboards.

To change this combination, you should go to Control Panel > International > Languages > Details > Keyboard Shortcuts > Change key sequence. You may choose different conbinations for changing language and keyboard layout (unfortunately, I don't know how to assign the F9 key for switching languages).

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
Local time: 12:41
English to Danish
+ ...
Alt Gr Sep 13, 2005

Tjena Benjamin

Do you not have the "Alt Gr" key on your keyboard? On my Danish keyboard that is the key used to access the @ and other "third" characters on the number keys (Alt Gr + 2)

The "Alt Gr" is right of the space bar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Windows Shortcuts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »