Terminology check settings
Thread poster: Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:00
German to English
Oct 25, 2022

Hi. I want to make use of the terminology check feature for quality control. I can set the following properties (my translation, the actual wording may be slightly different):

Minimum match value
Search depth
Threshold for term repetition

Does anyone know what these mean? I looked it up in the online help, but they are not described.

Thanks.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:00
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Under "Project Settings" or "File - Options" Oct 26, 2022

Go to "Project Settings" - "All Language Pairs" - "Termbases" and click on "Search Settings":

Capturar

As for their meanings:

Minimum match value % is the similarity between hits in the termbase and the term you specify.
Search depth (10-999) means “how far” (in number of hits) the search goes – a higher value may give more hits but takes longer time.
Term repetition threshold (2-20) means how many times a term may appear in a segment before Studio stops looking it up. This is to avoid recognition of common words like the or and. The default value is 10.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/151156513.pdf

[Edited at 2022-10-26 22:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
English to Russian
Decipher it Oct 26, 2022

'Minimum match value' means a threshold of similarity between a word in question and a Multiterm entry. Imagine a source segment that contains 20 words and the above setting is set to 70%. Trados analyzes those 20 words and finds that there are two candidate words that look very similar to those in your termabse. For example, 'contract' in the termbase vs 'contractor' and 'contracting' in the source segment. 8 characters vs 10/11 characters > 'contract' (8 chars) is 80% of 'contractor' (10 chars... See more
'Minimum match value' means a threshold of similarity between a word in question and a Multiterm entry. Imagine a source segment that contains 20 words and the above setting is set to 70%. Trados analyzes those 20 words and finds that there are two candidate words that look very similar to those in your termabse. For example, 'contract' in the termbase vs 'contractor' and 'contracting' in the source segment. 8 characters vs 10/11 characters > 'contract' (8 chars) is 80% of 'contractor' (10 chars). 80% is greater than 70% > it meets the minimum match condition, and the candidate word 'contractor' turns marked with a red line as if it was a Multiterm entry. The same story with 'contracting' = 11 characters; 'contract' (8 chars) is 72% of 'contracting' (11 chars). 72% is still greater than 70%, therefore it meets the minimum match requirement again, and it will be marked as if it was a term too. With that setting (70%) even the word 'contrary' will be recognized as a term similar to 'contract'. If you set this value to 100%, then Trados will recognize terms strictly as they go in the termbase (only 'contract' will be recognized in this case).

'Search depth' means... Just put it to 200. I have read a dozen of definitions for this term in 3 languages but still don't understand what that means. It concerns some complicated terms consisting of several words when Trados analyzes different combinations to find a match. If you are too curious to pass it by, you may ask here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/p/addpost

'Term repetition threshold' means that you may have a term in your source segment, but if it appears n times (where n is 2 to 20), it will be not recognized as a term and will not be marked with a red line. Imagine the word 'will' in my previous sentence is a Mutiterm entry and the 'Term repetition threshold' option is set to 2. There are two 'will's in my sentence which matches the 'Term repetition threshold' (2). In this case Trados will not recognize the term 'will' even though it is stored in the termbase.

[Edited at 2022-10-27 00:09 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology check settings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »