Thread poster: Evelyne Targe
Evelyne Targe
Evelyne Targe  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:00
English to French
Sep 29, 2022

Hi there,
I bought SDL Studio 2017 six years ago and I was very happy with it. However I didn't bother to invest in the upgrade versions through the years.
Now I learn that I have until tomorrow to get an upgrading of SDL studio 2022.
I guess after that I will have to buy a full price brand new package of SDL Studio 2022 and it will be more expensive.
So I wonder what SDL Studio 2022 users think. is it worth the price?
How will SDL 2017 work with current clients no
... See more
Hi there,
I bought SDL Studio 2017 six years ago and I was very happy with it. However I didn't bother to invest in the upgrade versions through the years.
I guess after that I will have to buy a full price brand new package of SDL Studio 2022 and it will be more expensive.
So I wonder what SDL Studio 2022 users think. is it worth the price?
How will SDL 2017 work with current clients now? Will I miss opportunities if I don't invest in the upgrading now?
As I'm confused I decided to ask here.
Thanks in advance for offering your opinion.
Collapse

Christine Pawlowski

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
End of life? Sep 29, 2022

From their website:
"The upgrade path for Trados Studio 2017, and related upgrade pricing, will close on 30 September 2022."
and
"Our software release policy is to support two versions of Trados Studio prior to the current version. We occasionally extend the life of Trados Studio versions beyond the terms of this policy..."

Trados products have an "end of life" after which they are no longer "supported". I'm not sure when SDL or RWS decided that products that have
... See more
From their website:
"The upgrade path for Trados Studio 2017, and related upgrade pricing, will close on 30 September 2022."
and
"Our software release policy is to support two versions of Trados Studio prior to the current version. We occasionally extend the life of Trados Studio versions beyond the terms of this policy..."

Trados products have an "end of life" after which they are no longer "supported". I'm not sure when SDL or RWS decided that products that have reached their end of life can also no longer be upgraded -- it may be a new thing or it may be something that SDL has done in the past already. I do know that the upgrade options always included 2 or 3 previous versions only.

The fact that there is a version "2022" (instead of a 2021 service pack 2) represents a bit of sleight of hand on the part of Trados, as they can now claim that version 2017 is "more than 2 versions prior to the current version". (That said, having an upgrade path offered to one is, itself, not a privilege.)

Here's what was new in...
Trados 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofz6ktNBjpk
Trados 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nultn6qpy1o
Also Trados 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QE_ptd1k7M&t=4s

I could not find a YouTube video showing the new features of Trados 2022, but there is an embedded video here:
https://www.trados.com/products/trados-studio/whats-new-studio-2022.html

Evelyne Targe wrote:
How will SDL 2017 work with current clients now? Will I miss opportunities if I don't invest in the upgrading now?

As far as I know, the file format is the same as it was in 2009.

[Edited at 2022-09-29 07:10 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A few small clarifications Sep 29, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Trados products have an "end of life" after which they are no longer "supported". I'm not sure when SDL or RWS decided that products that have reached their end of life can also no longer be upgraded -- it may be a new thing or it may be something that SDL has done in the past already. I do know that the upgrade options always included 2 or 3 previous versions only.

Nothing new... there has always been an end of life policy at Trados. You can find a KB article here covering more recent years: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000002629

Samuel Murray wrote:

The fact that there is a version "2022" (instead of a 2021 service pack 2) represents a bit of sleight of hand on the part of Trados, as they can now claim that version 2017 is "more than 2 versions prior to the current version". (That said, having an upgrade path offered to one is, itself, not a privilege.)

I don't really understand this comment for two reasons. First there was a service pack 2 for 2021 - https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=CUs-Studio2021SR2
Secondly there is no rule for service packs at all. In the perfect world there would not be any!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@RWS Sep 29, 2022

RWS Community wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The fact that there is a version "2022" (instead of a 2021 service pack 2) represents a bit of sleight of hand...

First there was a service pack 2 for 2021.
Secondly there is no rule for service packs at all. In the perfect world there would not be any!

Thanks for the correction -- I could not find information on service pack 2 when I did research for my post. I just meant that it version 2022 represents an interruption in the trend of a new version every two years (and service packs are not just bug fixes; they do often contain new features), and version 2022's new features seemed a bit lackluster. This is not meant as an insult to the developers (there appears to have been quite a lot of improvements under the hood).

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Who told you about 2017? Sep 29, 2022

Evelyne Targe wrote:

Hi Evelyne, who has told you about 2017? I also am a happy user of 2017 version; the message from RWS of 08.08.2022 reads:

Trados Studio 2014 and earlier – License resets no longer available from 30 September 2022

We are informing you that, from 30 September 2022, license resets will no longer be available for Trados Studio 2014, 2011, 2009 and 2007.

If you have any questions, please contact your Account Manager or contact our Customer Experience Team via the Live Chat.

Evelyne Targe
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SDL commercial mail Sep 29, 2022

[quote]Natalie wrote:

Hi Evelyne, who has told you about 2017? I also am a happy user of 2017 version; the message from RWS of 08.08.2022 reads:
[quote]

Hi Natalie,
I received a commercial mail from SDL yesterday and it says that after the 30th of September, users of SDL Trados 2017 won't be able to benefit from upgrading prices. The wording is ambiguous but I understood that I could no longer upgrade my current CAT tool if I pass the chance of doing so within the next 24 hours.

I understand that any professional needs to invest in softwares but I didn't plan to do so this month. I must buy a new computer soon and I'm worried I can't reinstall SDL 2017 for instance. This is very tricky.
I get that for SDL main purpose is to convince me to buy their new product but I don't want to feel pressure to do so if I can wait for a while even if I know I will eventually do that.

texjax DDS PhD

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Natalie Sep 29, 2022

Natalie wrote:
The message from RWS of 08.08.2022 reads:
Trados Studio 2014 and earlier – License resets no longer available from 30 September 2022

The license reset issue is entirely separate from the upgrade availability issue. (I initially made that mistake, too, but then edited my post.)

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Pricing benefit only... Sep 29, 2022

Evelyne Targe wrote:
I received a commercial mail from SDL yesterday and it says that after the 30th of September, users of SDL Trados 2017 won't be able to benefit from upgrading prices. The wording is ambiguous but I understood that I could no longer upgrade my current CAT tool if I pass the chance of doing so within the next 24 hours.

I have not seen the emails, but based on your wording I would say this refers to the ability to upgrade as opposed to purchasing a new licence. This is pretty normal and happens with all versions sooner or later. So to be clear, you can upgrade from 2017 to 2022 at a lower price than a full licence until the end of this month. After that you would not be able to upgrade and would have to purchase a new licence.

I checked with our teams and this notice was apparently sent out initially on the 9th August and since then we have sent out a further four emails to make sure all users were aware. I also think the discount got better with each email! The last one a week or so ago offered a 30% discount I think.

So you are correct in that you cannot upgrade from 2017 (or earlier). You can only purchase a new licence from the 1st October.

Samuel Murray

Evelyne Targe
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Is SDL Studio 2017 becoming obsolete? Sep 29, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Natalie wrote:
The message from RWS of 08.08.2022 reads:

The license reset issue is entirely separate from the upgrade availability issue. (I initially made that mistake, too, but then edited my post.)

Thank you Samuel for clarifying this. It's a relief so far to know that I can reset SDL 2017.

Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
To RWS Community Sep 29, 2022

RWS Community wrote:

I checked with our teams and this notice was apparently sent out initially on the 9th August and since then we have sent out a further four emails to make sure all users were aware. I also think the discount got better with each email! The last one a week or so ago offered a 30% discount I think.

So you are correct in that you cannot upgrade from 2017 (or earlier). You can only purchase a new licence from the 1st October.

Does this apply to every customer? I happened to see this post by chance but did not receive the mails. Where do I find this information online on your website?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:00
English to Russian
Trados Store Sep 29, 2022

Ilka Nahmmacher wrote:
Where do I find this information online on your website?
Try this. Still clickable.

[Edited at 2022-09-29 19:38 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The prices are... Sep 29, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Try this. Still clickable.

FWIW, the cost of upgrading to Trados Freelance Plus 2022 from...
2017 non-Plus: EUR 348
2017 Plus: EUR 243
2019 non-Plus: EUR 315
2019 Plus: EUR 213
2021 non-Plus: EUR 252
2021 Plus: EUR 147

So, for the OP it would be either EUR 348 or EUR 243. Buying Trados 2022 Plus out of the box costs between EUR 555 and EUR 750, depending on when you buy it.

PS. I haven't tried the cloud feature, but I've heard relatively good things about it from normally critical translators.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:00
English to Russian
2017 to 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Ah, right, EUR243 for upgrading from one 2017 license to one 2022 license, or EUR348 for upgrading from one 2017 license to two 2022 licenses. My version is 2021 Plus that is why it offers the upgrade for EUR147.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Where to find the info... Sep 30, 2022

Ilka Nahmmacher wrote:
Does this apply to every customer? I happened to see this post by chance but did not receive the mails. Where do I find this information online on your website?

Every customer has been emailed... several times. But like many emails they often end up in the spam folders, or users have used the "unsubscribe" link and then simply exclude themselves from these notifications.

You can find them information related to this if you scroll to the bottom of this page... well hidden I think!

https://www.trados.com/products/trados-studio/whats-new-studio-2022.html

And for convenience here's the link related to the email:

https://info.rws.com/last-chance-studio-2017-upgrade-price-to-end-save-30-on-your-upgrade-today-en

Today is literally the last chance

Paul.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is SDL Studio 2017 becoming obsolete?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »