Cheryl Olson
Cheryl Olson
United States
Local time: 20:49
Member (2017)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2021

I am creating a project for the first time in Trados 2017 with PDF files. After I have gone through setup and open the files, there are only symbols and English words. There are no Chinese characters.

Am I able to create projects with Chinese PDFs? Is there someone who can help walk me through what I might be doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:49
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
@Cheryl: Oct 12, 2021

Is your pdf editable (can you copy text from it and paste it elsewhere)?

Cheryl Olson
Cheryl Olson
United States
Local time: 20:49
Member (2017)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't believe they are editable. Oct 12, 2021

Mattias,

I don't see that they are, and I do not pay the subscription to edit.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:49
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I would advice investing in some OCR software Oct 12, 2021

Cheryl Olson wrote:
I am creating a project for the first time in Trados 2017 with PDF files. After I have gone through setup and open the files, there are only symbols and English words. There are no Chinese characters.
Am I able to create projects with Chinese PDFs? Is there someone who can help walk me through what I might be doing wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

I am using Abbyy Finereader to convert pdfs to an editable format. I've found it well worth the investment. That way, even if the test is a graphics image (because it has been scanned from a paper copy), you will get a format that you can import into Studio. I never trust automatic converting tools. As far as I know, they base themselves on editable test (i.e. that you actually can copy the text out of the pdf), so that they cannot handle text in graphics images. Omnipage Pro is also an old contender, but I find Abbyy Finereader more user friendly.

Stepan Konev
Paul Malone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with PDF conversion (ZH-EN) in Trados 2017

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »