Thread poster: Nesrine Echroudi
Nesrine Echroudi
Nesrine Echroudi
Tunisia
English to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2021

Hi everybody,

In fact, I finally decided to buy a Trados license. However, I am wondering, whenever I change my PC to a better and new one, would I be able to download Trados again on that PC, Knowing that I will sell the old one? The license will be valid if I change the laptop, but still, use Trados only on one computer? It is a Trados Studio 2021 Freelance, not a Freelance Plus.

Thank you,
Nesrine

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:53
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can return the license on the old computer and use it in the new one Sep 21, 2021

First, you can download and install Studio freely, and you even get 30 days free trial.

After your new computer is ready to use, return Studio license on the old computer and register Studio in the new computer.

HTH

Nesrine Echroudi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nesrine Sep 21, 2021

Nesrine Echroudi wrote:
I am wondering, whenever I change my PC to a better and new one, would I be able to download Trados again on that PC...?

Yes. You log into your Trados account on the Trados web site and then download Trados (or use the installer that you downloaded previously) and install it on the new computer. Then, on the old computer, you deactivate the product (this used to be called "returning the license"). In Trados, go Help > Actions > Product Activation. This frees up your license for use on another machine. Then use the license to activate Trados on your new computer.

It means that Trados is then no longer activated (i.e. licensed) on your old computer, even though it is installed on that computer.

If you forget or are unable to deactivate Trados on one computer (e.g. the computer crashed or was stolen), but you want to activate it on another computer, there is a procedure for that, too. The procedure used to be quite long and complicated, but currently it's quite simple and takes about 1 hour. See this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrMs8hdYtLE

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
After your new computer is ready to use, return Studio license on the old computer and register Studio in the new computer.

Exactly. Except that in the latest version(s) of Trados, returning the license is called "deactivation" and registering it on the new computer is called "activation".

[Edited at 2021-09-21 08:41 GMT]

Nesrine Echroudi

Nesrine Echroudi
Nesrine Echroudi
Tunisia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you :) Sep 21, 2021

Thank you very much, guys. Now I can get my Trados Studio with no worries.
I appreciate your help.

Kindly,
Nesrine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2021 Freelance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »