Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:12
Hebrew to English
May 10, 2021

Hey!

I'm **really** new to using Trados Studio, so when responding, assume you are talking to a child with barely a grasp!

Ok, I was just using Trados, and my internet had a blip and went off for a second, but it was long enough to cause a problem, a message popped up saying that something had been disabled due to the lack of internet connection.

The internet came back in the next second, but
... See more
Hey!

I'm **really** new to using Trados Studio, so when responding, assume you are talking to a child with barely a grasp!

Ok, I was just using Trados, and my internet had a blip and went off for a second, but it was long enough to cause a problem, a message popped up saying that something had been disabled due to the lack of internet connection.

The internet came back in the next second, but now when I'm working, it no longer brings up the translations into the segments I clicked onto (which it did before - even if they were imperfect or incorrect).

If this sounds like something you can rectify for me, please help!

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 04:12
French to Italian
+ ...
HI May 10, 2021

Do you mean that the Machine translation result or your translation memory isn't showing? My guess is that the machine translation plugin turned off when the internet went down.

[Edited at 2021-05-10 15:19 GMT]

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replying... May 10, 2021

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it must be one or the other.
Usually when I go on there, I see the 100% matches already auto filled, and then when I click onto an empty segment it brings up the fuzzy (if any). Only now it's not bringing up any fuzzies at all.
😭

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Is your TM enabled? May 10, 2021

Hi Ty,

The first thing I would do in this case is restart Studio.

Then, the symptoms you are describing would occur if the translation memory (TM) or memories were disabled, assuming of course that they do in fact contain the fuzzy matches you are expecting to see but not seeing. Your TM or TMs must be enabled.

To check that this is the case, go to Home > Project Settings. A window should now open showing you the TMs you are using (in the form of a list if
... See more
Hi Ty,

The first thing I would do in this case is restart Studio.

Then, the symptoms you are describing would occur if the translation memory (TM) or memories were disabled, assuming of course that they do in fact contain the fuzzy matches you are expecting to see but not seeing. Your TM or TMs must be enabled.

To check that this is the case, go to Home > Project Settings. A window should now open showing you the TMs you are using (in the form of a list if there are more than one). Make sure that the "Enabled" checkbox is ticked for each of your TMs. If not, tick them - if that is your issue, you should now see the fuzzy matches again.
Collapse

Peter Motte

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try always to save work and restart first May 11, 2021

If restart of the application does not help, restart your computer, turn it completely off and on again. That solves most problems with electronic devices.

Peter Motte

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! May 11, 2021

I'm keeping my eye on it for the moment, I did get an error message come up this morning saying that it couldn't access the termbase.
I just checked as Paul suggested and it seems to be enabled for now (although it still won't bring up fuzzies, only providing suggestions for single terms (as opposed to autofilling the segment with something that might be 78% or 95% etc.)

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Another suggestion May 11, 2021

Based on what you have reported Ty, I would suggest that you also try the following check: go to Options > Editor > Automation, then make sure that the box marked "Apply best match after successful lookup" is checked. If not, check it. That should make a difference.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 05:12
English to Russian
+ ...
TM: local or server-based? May 11, 2021

I used to work with server-based TMs, but all I remember are the extra glitches that came from the server, so even if I were required to maintain a server-based TM, I would still create a backup TM to store my translation results locally. Sometimes, Trados arbitrarily unticks the "Update" box next to a working TM (while in Editor, go to Home > Project Settings, and the TM settings should pop up) after a crash/restart, so it helps to double-check whether the tick is still there (otherwise, a few ... See more
I used to work with server-based TMs, but all I remember are the extra glitches that came from the server, so even if I were required to maintain a server-based TM, I would still create a backup TM to store my translation results locally. Sometimes, Trados arbitrarily unticks the "Update" box next to a working TM (while in Editor, go to Home > Project Settings, and the TM settings should pop up) after a crash/restart, so it helps to double-check whether the tick is still there (otherwise, a few hours' worth of work performed between crash/restarts may be lost for good); a crash/restart may also undo changes made to the working xliff of your project (even if your Autosave is set to the lowest possible value: Trados seems to run some kind of backwards time machine when crashing), and in this case, the only way to restore the latest versions of your translations is to go through the document manually, segment by segment (especially if you edit as you go just like I do), provided that your TM was properly connected and updates were working when the bug occurred. All in all, Trados has had me handle a lot more lost work situations than any other CAT tools; I only use Trados because I have toCollapse

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul May 11, 2021

You are a lifesaver!

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Denis May 11, 2021

It's server based! I'll follow your advice too!
I managed to avoid using Trados for my first 12 years translating, but all good things come to an end, and I finally got strongarmed into using it
I don't hate it, but it's a lot of learning and troubleshooting!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dummies Guide

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »