Have you ever had a client you were just "afraid to take seriously"?
Thread poster: George Trail
George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:31
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 19

Dear ProZ,

So yesterday some guy I've never met before offers me a translation job of more than 100,000 words and what does he offer me for it? 1,500 Euros. So, less than 0.015 Euros per word. (!)

I told him that that simply wasn't enough, which he was quick to respond to, with an email saying "2000 Euro". That was it. The entire email.

At that point I made it clear to him that I just couldn't work for anything less than 0.05 Euros per word (and from my exp
... See more
Dear ProZ,

So yesterday some guy I've never met before offers me a translation job of more than 100,000 words and what does he offer me for it? 1,500 Euros. So, less than 0.015 Euros per word. (!)

I told him that that simply wasn't enough, which he was quick to respond to, with an email saying "2000 Euro". That was it. The entire email.

At that point I made it clear to him that I just couldn't work for anything less than 0.05 Euros per word (and from my experience even that's peanuts for a lot of people in the translation profession).

Eventually he sent me another email saying "2500". Those four characters were the entire text of it. Later on he sent me another one offering me 3,000 Euros for it. Finally, I get his final offer in yet another email: 5,000 Euros. This actually does amount to 0.05 Euros per word for 100,000 words but even so: we've now gone from 1,500 Euros to a figure more than three times that, and he was just so casual about it.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not legitimate.

What do you think?
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Under the bridge Mar 19

Sounds like the troll getting trolled 😂

Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:31
German to Swedish
+ ...
Legitimate, possibly, but... Mar 19

Some people negotiate in one-liners.

I'd be more worried about his raising the bid so much, and repeatedly, than about message brevity. But the volume is suspicious. Individuals don't usually need 100K translations, and serious companies large enough to need it don't negotiate in one-liners.

Dan Lucas
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Rita Translator
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Legitimate or not ..... Mar 19

.... this smells like problems.

We translators trade in words, not in cattle.

Forget about this 'client', and move on. That would be my advice.

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Thomas Johansson
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

patransword
patransword
Germany
German to English
+ ...
. Mar 19

The solution: Say yes and ask for payment upfront. He'll probably never pay, so you can forget about it.

Matthias Brombach

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
German to English
Why bother Mar 19

George Trail wrote:

What do you think?

Why waste your time responding to offers like that?

Barbara Carrara
Joe France
P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:31
English to Turkish
5 cents Mar 19

George Trail wrote:
At that point I made it clear to him that I just couldn't work for anything less than 0.05 Euros per word (and from my experience even that's peanuts for a lot of people in the translation profession).

So you'd have been inclined to accept that offer had they offered it in the first place? Can you actually survive on 5 cents per word in the UK (I seriously want to know)? I see that you're a member since 2009?

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Too low Mar 19

I wouldn't even answer.
I makes no sense to discuss such low offers. And if the price then goes up from 1500 to 5000 Euros, that smells like a scam.

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Ask for... Mar 19

patransword wrote:

The solution: Say yes and ask for payment upfront. He'll probably never pay, so you can forget about it.

...Bitcoin plus payment upfront! That's the way I as an "opportunist" would handle that situation...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Have you ever had a client you were just "afraid to take seriously"?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »