Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]
In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:31
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I am with you on this one Feb 11

Lefteris Kritikakis wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote: and exploit a young translator's anxiety with their bidding system.

These practices should be pointed out on Proz, because they constitute a series of manipulative micro-abuses on an almost daily basis .
The only way is for the community (Proz, are you listening?) to point out these practices, bring them to light. It doesn't hurt, and it justifies the membership price a lot more than ChatGPT-style fluffy seminars.

These practices have been pointed out many times indeed, but ProZ doesn't "make the prices". Only very recently I saw a job offer for $0.01 USD to $0.03 USD per word (sic!!). Plus, only Sunday work was involved. They can do it as they know they will find someone who accepts. And the agency has a BB with average 4,9!

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
There are the right people for every price segment Feb 11

It always has been and always will be, on the client side and on the vendor side.
It's natural that target languages a) with little scope and/or b) where there is an oversupply are the ones where the battle is harder.
One of the problems regarding the latter (e.g. English) may really be people who don't need to make a living from their work - I know from experience that there are many translators who translate as a side job thanks to the Internet, and not necessarily because they nee
... See more
It always has been and always will be, on the client side and on the vendor side.
It's natural that target languages a) with little scope and/or b) where there is an oversupply are the ones where the battle is harder.
One of the problems regarding the latter (e.g. English) may really be people who don't need to make a living from their work - I know from experience that there are many translators who translate as a side job thanks to the Internet, and not necessarily because they need to. It's welcome additional earnings. But often they deliver poor to mediocre quality, so they will work in certain segments. And those segments are looking for translators of that type. So if you are not a translator who wants to work in those segments, why should you worry?
There are other segments like areas where MT is heavily used, which results in less actual translation work and more editing tasks, but on the other hand, more content is translated.
My point is that in the translation industry, as in any industry, there are very different segments. It is important in which segment YOU locate yourself, and to make your choices accordingly.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Charlie Bavington
Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
ibz

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Same issue since years: Feb 13

Zea_Mays wrote:

I have googled ProZ on Trustpilot... @ProZ, do you at least reply there and check for fake or unreasonable reviews?
BTW, you'll also find people there who were'nt satisfied with the FB group...
As for issues...

::: Jul 8, 2021 :::

I am a paying member and I do not receive offers by e-mail, having to look each time to see if there is any new work.

I'd suggest to do https://www.google.com/search?q=online%20reputation%20management too.

Job alert received yesterday: http://www.proz.com/job/2055250, Quoting deadline: 2023-12-01 12:48:37

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »