Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Polen
Local time: 22:24
Mitglied (2004)
Englisch > Polnisch
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 10, 2007

For some time the amount of spam I have received somewhat increased. What is worse, it was directed to my ProZ email address, which I found surprising as it was not published anywhere.

Or so I thought. It turns out that the Google search engine now indexes CVs placed on ProZ (which, I am pretty sure, it was not doing some time ago, as I checked it several times). While this in itself might be positive, as it gives you more exposure, you have to make sure that it does not contain any
... See more
For some time the amount of spam I have received somewhat increased. What is worse, it was directed to my ProZ email address, which I found surprising as it was not published anywhere.

Or so I thought. It turns out that the Google search engine now indexes CVs placed on ProZ (which, I am pretty sure, it was not doing some time ago, as I checked it several times). While this in itself might be positive, as it gives you more exposure, you have to make sure that it does not contain any sensitive information. I've learned it the hard way - as my address is already compromised, I will probably get more and more spam...
Collapse

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:24
Englisch > Russisch
well-known issue Aug 10, 2007

Just remove @ from your email address, replace it with {} or [] - whatever.
Potential customer will understand, spam robot won't.

Ingles
Ingles
Portugiesisch > Englisch
Thank you for the heads up Aug 10, 2007

I just went in to my profile and removed the ampersand. As someone just becomming familiar with ProZ - these Q/A exchanges are a tremendous help.

Mike Hunter (X)
Mike Hunter (X)
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 21:24
Englisch > Flämisch
+ ...
risk from published e-mail addresses Aug 10, 2007

I think another approach is to use different e-mail addresses in different places, then you can monitor sources of spam, and change the e-mail address if necessary.

Nothing beats a good spam filter. As an agency we risk receiving unwanted e-mail as its a fact of life that we have to have published e-mail addresses. A way round this could be to use a company that processes mail for you, but this could be expensive for freelancers.

Hope this helps.

Regards... See more
I think another approach is to use different e-mail addresses in different places, then you can monitor sources of spam, and change the e-mail address if necessary.

Nothing beats a good spam filter. As an agency we risk receiving unwanted e-mail as its a fact of life that we have to have published e-mail addresses. A way round this could be to use a company that processes mail for you, but this could be expensive for freelancers.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike
betterlanguages.com
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 16:24
Mitglied (2004)
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
Use graphical text Aug 10, 2007

Put your e-mail in your CV and your web site as a graphic. So far, the search engines don't seem to be resorting to OCR.

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Here's another link Aug 12, 2007

http://www.proz.com/post/128066

I have used a Java script in my website to hide my e-mail address. It works a treat.

My attempt to post it here has failed.

HTH John

[Edited at 2007-08-12 11:08]

[Edited at 2007-08-12 11:10]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Niederlande
Mitglied (2006)
Englisch > Afrikaans
+ ...
Munging Aug 12, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:
While this in itself might be positive, as it gives you more exposure, you have to make sure that it does not contain any sensitive information.

I munge my e-mail address on my web site and on the résumés I post online.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your CV might expose you to spam!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »