Poll: Which is the best strategy to raise translation/interpretation rates?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 15

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which is the best strategy to raise translation/interpretation rates?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
N/A Apr 15

I don’t know if it’s the best strategy, but I no longer have one rate across the board, I have various rates for different clients. I haven’t touched the rates I apply to my long-standing customers since 2016 when I last raised them but I've been applying either a higher rate or a per project rate to my new clients.

Dan Lucas
Thayenga
Rita Translator
Pascale van Kempen-Herlant
Zea_Mays
Christine Andersen
Josephine Cassar

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Do a good job Apr 16

Do a good enough job and they won't want to lose you.

Christine Andersen
Iulia Parvu
Dan Lucas

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:00
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
In practice, finding new clients Apr 16

I think all the options apply in the background, but even clients who ask for a check on rates after a long break tend to disappear if I actually raise them!

I successfully raised my rate with an existing client some years ago, but that was from very low to just acceptable, and a few months later I stopped working for them altogether.
It was a sad story of a small agency that started well, but as it expanded it demanded more and more for the same rates - no time allowance for
... See more
I think all the options apply in the background, but even clients who ask for a check on rates after a long break tend to disappear if I actually raise them!

I successfully raised my rate with an existing client some years ago, but that was from very low to just acceptable, and a few months later I stopped working for them altogether.
It was a sad story of a small agency that started well, but as it expanded it demanded more and more for the same rates - no time allowance for formatting, a flat word rate for videos that had to be watched a couple of times before I could translate, requests for samples at reduced rates, and then the jobs at full rates never materialised... Tiny jobs but no minimum fee. They kept trying for months!

More recently, I raised my rate with a long-term good client, and I was beginning to think I had lost them - but they have sent a couple of jobs lately. I have a niche with that client, but one job was proofreading a really excellent translation, so they have a colleague who can replace me there!

Otherwise the only way I have managed to raise my rates is to quote higher rates for new clients, and make sure I deserve them! That has been reasonably successful in the sense that some come back with new jobs.
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Josephine Cassar

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:00
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Not Applicable Apr 16

I am retired and do translations out of my own interest.
When I was younger, the only way to enhance the income was to enter the well-paying market and have reliable financial background for long rainy days.
Unfortunately, the translation marketing mechanism and space are tightly supervised by various political entities, so one should add the ability to maneuver in right direction in turbid waters.
But, in the end, everything will be (must be) Marlboro...
See more
I am retired and do translations out of my own interest.
When I was younger, the only way to enhance the income was to enter the well-paying market and have reliable financial background for long rainy days.
Unfortunately, the translation marketing mechanism and space are tightly supervised by various political entities, so one should add the ability to maneuver in right direction in turbid waters.
But, in the end, everything will be (must be) Marlboro
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 05:00
English to Finnish
+ ...
Increase your productivity Apr 17

If you raise your rates, you must increase your productivity to make up for the lower volume of orders.

Jorge Payan

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Serbian to English
+ ...
NONE OF THE ABOVE Apr 17

Once you've agreed rates with one client, the probability of raising them is next to none. Better try extracting water from dry wood.

As much too often, the poll question asked starts making sense only once reformulated, as:

Which is the best strategy to get offered good translation/interpretation rates?

And the answer is the same as in many professions: always do the best job you can, and make yourself known.

All this assuming that you don't
... See more
Once you've agreed rates with one client, the probability of raising them is next to none. Better try extracting water from dry wood.

As much too often, the poll question asked starts making sense only once reformulated, as:

Which is the best strategy to get offered good translation/interpretation rates?

And the answer is the same as in many professions: always do the best job you can, and make yourself known.

All this assuming that you don't persist in staying in a profession where "the best you can" is at best just the average.
Collapse

Annika Thornton
Annika Thornton  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:00
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Depends Apr 24

With a large agency, I wouldn't even try to negotiate higher rates. I doubt very much it would go anywhere.

With smaller, more 'boutique' agencies, I have been successful in the past. I wait until a new year comes around and then when they reach out to me with a job, I say "oh, by the way, I have raised my rates slightly this year."
Then the rate I offer them will be just slightly higher than the rate I'm hoping for, so if they do negotiate then it feels like I'm giving them
... See more
With a large agency, I wouldn't even try to negotiate higher rates. I doubt very much it would go anywhere.

With smaller, more 'boutique' agencies, I have been successful in the past. I wait until a new year comes around and then when they reach out to me with a job, I say "oh, by the way, I have raised my rates slightly this year."
Then the rate I offer them will be just slightly higher than the rate I'm hoping for, so if they do negotiate then it feels like I'm giving them a small discount.

With direct clients, it's generally not a problem as most companies won't know what the going rate for translation is anyway. It just depends on their budget for that job.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is the best strategy to raise translation/interpretation rates?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »