Transitioning to literary translation from another translation speciality (subtitling)
Thread poster: Marine Champouret
Marine Champouret
Marine Champouret  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:45
English to French
+ ...
Feb 7, 2022

Hi all

I have been a subtitler for a number of years and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for transitioning to literary translation? This is something I am potentially interested in so wondering if you had any articles, courses, or anything really any tips that you could share so I could learn more about the process?

Do you need the relevant education or if you have done (as I have) a Masters Degree in another translation speciality, is this enough? Has anyone gon
... See more
Hi all

I have been a subtitler for a number of years and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for transitioning to literary translation? This is something I am potentially interested in so wondering if you had any articles, courses, or anything really any tips that you could share so I could learn more about the process?

Do you need the relevant education or if you have done (as I have) a Masters Degree in another translation speciality, is this enough? Has anyone gone through this sort of unusual change of path?

Any tips would be appreciated
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Why? Feb 7, 2022

It's an odd move from a thriving industry to a dying one.

Jorge Payan

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:45
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Education? Feb 7, 2022

What kind of literary translation? Pop culture or classics? In case of the latter, you’ll probably need some educational background in the field of literature, philosophy, history, anthropology, etc.

In case it’s pop culture, pop fiction, self-help, again the same span, but you could get away with just general education if you are an avid reader, and even better a writer or author.

I am not sure what your question is, it’s very broad. Potential literary translator
... See more
What kind of literary translation? Pop culture or classics? In case of the latter, you’ll probably need some educational background in the field of literature, philosophy, history, anthropology, etc.

In case it’s pop culture, pop fiction, self-help, again the same span, but you could get away with just general education if you are an avid reader, and even better a writer or author.

I am not sure what your question is, it’s very broad. Potential literary translators probably wouldn’t ask those questions as they are often authors themselves and familiar with processes, networking, publishing industry, etc. They are usually both avid readers and authors/creators.

Do you believe they will request your credentials when they contact you for translation? You will be asked for a lot of free work (eg. synopsis translation), and royalty based work until they see some sales.

I am not aware of courses or guides as literary translation is not a linear process.
Collapse

Marine Champouret
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Education? Feb 7, 2022

Thanks for your response and for your thoughts. Pop culture for sure and modern fiction. I am not interested in the classics, but yes I am definitely a bookworm hence my interest in this transition.

Sorry I thought my question was clear. I don't know if they will request my credentials - I was asking if they likely would. I have studied Literature at university so I suppose there may be some transferable skills there...

I was just keen to hear from people who maybe st
... See more
Thanks for your response and for your thoughts. Pop culture for sure and modern fiction. I am not interested in the classics, but yes I am definitely a bookworm hence my interest in this transition.

Sorry I thought my question was clear. I don't know if they will request my credentials - I was asking if they likely would. I have studied Literature at university so I suppose there may be some transferable skills there...

I was just keen to hear from people who maybe started out with few credentials to their name in the chosen field of Literary translation or originally came from another speciality.
Collapse

polishedwords
polishedwords  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
. Feb 7, 2022

Marine, you don't need a course, you need practice!
Check with your national associations for translators, literary translators and book publishers -- it's very likely that they periodically run workshops for translators and/or editors. Attend those, you'll be able to practice and get some feedback on your skills (possibly also meet people from the industry). Sometimes workshops/meetings with translators are organised during book festivals.
Monitor your local literary 'scene' in the
... See more
Marine, you don't need a course, you need practice!
Check with your national associations for translators, literary translators and book publishers -- it's very likely that they periodically run workshops for translators and/or editors. Attend those, you'll be able to practice and get some feedback on your skills (possibly also meet people from the industry). Sometimes workshops/meetings with translators are organised during book festivals.
Monitor your local literary 'scene' in the social media, you might find useful information. When the pandemic hit, Polish Literary Translators Association started streaming lectures by renown translators: they discussed challenging fragments of their recent work and described rationale behind the approach they took. Similar meetings happened regularly in pre-pandemic times (all genres, including poetry, were covered).
Read a lot, obviously. Try to translate bits from English books into French and then compare them against the final, published version. Read literary magazines, sometimes newly published translations are dissected and discussed in the tiniest detail.

I wouldn't worry about official credentials too much -- this particular type of translation isn't something you can 'learn'. Some of the best literary translators into my language studied e.g. maths or economy.
Collapse

Marine Champouret
Katarina Peters
Francesco Sani

Marine Champouret
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re . Feb 7, 2022

Thanks very much for your response, polishedwords! I will definitely look into this.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
* Sep 13, 2023

I'm also interested in a similar career move (from subtitling), so would anyone have any updated information? As I realize this topic is from last year. It seems I need to find some other specialization, anyway, as subtiling seems to experiencing a huge "slump" at the moment, for some reason.

Adieu wrote:
It's an odd move from a thriving industry to a dying one.

Not so thriving at the moment, actually... This year seems a marked difference from last one. So literature surely can't be more dying, in fact, the situation may now be the other way round

[Edited at 2023-09-13 10:01 GMT]

Jeanne de Rougemont

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transitioning to literary translation from another translation speciality (subtitling)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »