Help! Google Search is becoming too smart to be useful (for exact matches)
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Nov 18, 2021

For translators who, like me, use Google Search for web as corpus searches (both in source and target language), I have noticed a recent, very annoying, development.

Have you tried searching for stuff between "quotes"? This should signify to Google that we are looking for "exact matches". I use it all the time.

Well, in the relentless "search" (sic) to catch synonyms, typos and in general second-guess the user's intention (and ultimately be useful, heavily relying on AI
... See more
For translators who, like me, use Google Search for web as corpus searches (both in source and target language), I have noticed a recent, very annoying, development.

Have you tried searching for stuff between "quotes"? This should signify to Google that we are looking for "exact matches". I use it all the time.

Well, in the relentless "search" (sic) to catch synonyms, typos and in general second-guess the user's intention (and ultimately be useful, heavily relying on AI and deep neural networks to do so), the search is becoming increasingly broken when you actually want to find something specific.

Like "how many occurences of this phraseology are there in the indexed corpus"?

After performing such an exact match search, I often have a hard time to find "any" matches whose snippet includes the exact combination of words I've enclosed between quotes.

I am often left resorting to another tool like Bing, but even then, since its index is less rich, my searches are often inconclusive.

Short of being too cool for school, Google Search is becoming too smart… for its own good (not mine).

> Rant mode off

UPDATE: See post number 8 for a way to enforce verbatim search.

[Edited at 2021-11-19 01:44 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Jessica Noyes
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Michele Fauble
Tom in London

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm, can't say that I have noticed any change Nov 18, 2021

Which Google are you using?

https://www.google.com/...
https://www.google.co.uk/...
etc.

On a related note, this is why I have never even tried Bing: I have never been able to make Bing do "exact quoted searches" like Google.

Michael

Thomas T. Frost
neilmac

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google.com Nov 18, 2021

I have mostly noticed this in French, where there is less indexed content (but still…).

It typically occurs when there might not be enough exact results, and Google starts being more "creative". But sometimes I am surprised. I'd expected at least some decent exact matches. And there is not one highlighted match. I have even used a "quoted term" along with a term out or quotes, and the snippets only show the term out of quotes. How useful is that… Plus, the times where there are
... See more
I have mostly noticed this in French, where there is less indexed content (but still…).

It typically occurs when there might not be enough exact results, and Google starts being more "creative". But sometimes I am surprised. I'd expected at least some decent exact matches. And there is not one highlighted match. I have even used a "quoted term" along with a term out or quotes, and the snippets only show the term out of quotes. How useful is that… Plus, the times where there are "thousands results", only running three pages deep…

Really, there must have been a recent update. The change has been very noticeable here…

[Edited at 2021-11-18 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jean Nov 18, 2021

I have noticed the same both in English and in French (the languages I use most).

neilmac

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WebCorp Nov 18, 2021

Thanks for confirming this, Teresa!

---

As an imperfect alternative (it uses Bing), WebCorp Live might be of interest to some. It lets you access the Web as a corpus - a large collection of texts from which examples of real language use can be extracted.

https://www.webcorp.org.uk/live/

[Edited at 2021-11-18 18:02 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:35
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Google Advanced Search Nov 18, 2021

I highly recommend that you use Google Advanced Search rather than Google Basic Search. I have been using Advanced Search for perhaps a decade if not longer. I will never go back to basic search. Advanced Search is a lot more flexible, powerful, efficient and focused. This does not specifically address your issue described above but it offers a... See more
I highly recommend that you use Google Advanced Search rather than Google Basic Search. I have been using Advanced Search for perhaps a decade if not longer. I will never go back to basic search. Advanced Search is a lot more flexible, powerful, efficient and focused. This does not specifically address your issue described above but it offers a new insight regarding web search.

https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
Collapse

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Even with the Advanced seach Nov 18, 2021

This occurs more frequently with the Advanced Search as well. Google also like to translate words to other languages, or even transliterate when using non-Latin alphabets. Very irritating. (And don't get me started on the number of ads and sponsored content.)

Recep Kurt

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Verbatim search Nov 19, 2021

The ability to do a search for an exact string of characters is vitally important for a translator. Like you, I’ve noticed Google getting somewhat “creative” with its search results. But here’s an approach that usually works for me.

Type your search term inside double quotes and press Enter. On the results page, you will see a list of options under the search box. Click Tools>All results >Verbatim and press Enter.

You do need the double quotes. Google will st
... See more
The ability to do a search for an exact string of characters is vitally important for a translator. Like you, I’ve noticed Google getting somewhat “creative” with its search results. But here’s an approach that usually works for me.

Type your search term inside double quotes and press Enter. On the results page, you will see a list of options under the search box. Click Tools>All results >Verbatim and press Enter.

You do need the double quotes. Google will still get creative without them. This technique works well enough that, if Google finds no exact match, you will get no results. Not even creative ones.

Do this test:

- Go to Google.com

-Type “i luv argu”

- Press Enter to see a bunch of creative results

- Click Tools > All results > Verbatim

- Press Enter

You should get:

Did you mean: “I luv argue”

No results containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - “ I luv argu” - did not match any documents. Reset search tools [etc.]

You won’t see that list of options on the super clean Google home page. You need to run a search first.

[Edited at 2021-11-19 14:32 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
texjax DDS PhD
Philippe Etienne
Recep Kurt

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 19, 2021

Hello James,

Thank you so much for sharing this workaround. This is gold!

Applying the verbatim search option does enforce the quotes, so we can get the old functionality back that way.

Now, I have to do some web search, and Google, you better mark my words…

EDIT: With this method, the number of results is not shown, and the verbatim terms are not always displayed in the text snippets. Still better than sliced bread.

[Edited at 2021-11
... See more
Hello James,

Thank you so much for sharing this workaround. This is gold!

Applying the verbatim search option does enforce the quotes, so we can get the old functionality back that way.

Now, I have to do some web search, and Google, you better mark my words…

EDIT: With this method, the number of results is not shown, and the verbatim terms are not always displayed in the text snippets. Still better than sliced bread.

[Edited at 2021-11-19 06:47 GMT]
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No results Nov 19, 2021

James McVay wrote:

Do this test:

- Go to Google.com

-Type “i luv argu”

- Press Enter to see a bunch of creative results

At this point, I get:

No results found for "i luv argu".
Results for i luv argu (without quotes):

And then the creative results. I don't mind the creative results, as I have already been told no results were found for the exact string.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Nov 19, 2021

DuckDuckGo

Platary (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Google Search is becoming too smart to be useful (for exact matches)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »