Zolboo Batbold  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:13
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 8, 2021

Hello, everyone. I have an Oppo AX7, Android ver 8.1.0. For some reason I keep getting late notifications on my phone, like 30-45 minutes delay, sometimes even 90 minutes. They usually pop up as soon as I unlock my phone screen. I've already made sure the battery saving option is disabled, and Gmail notifications are all enabled. I did some research: apparently it's a Gmail issue that's been going on for a while. Anyone else had this issue and solved it somehow? Maybe try a different email prov... See more
Hello, everyone. I have an Oppo AX7, Android ver 8.1.0. For some reason I keep getting late notifications on my phone, like 30-45 minutes delay, sometimes even 90 minutes. They usually pop up as soon as I unlock my phone screen. I've already made sure the battery saving option is disabled, and Gmail notifications are all enabled. I did some research: apparently it's a Gmail issue that's been going on for a while. Anyone else had this issue and solved it somehow? Maybe try a different email provider?Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Charger Oct 8, 2021

And/or screen on. Helps.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Zolboo Oct 8, 2021

I read my Gmail on my Android phone using K9 Mail. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the notificaiton settings right, though.

Zolboo Batbold
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Effective? Oct 8, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

I read my Gmail on my Android phone using K9 Mail. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the notificaiton settings right, though.

Do you recieve instant notifications with little or no delay?

Marijke Van Ham
Marijke Van Ham  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Had the same issue Oct 8, 2021

Hi Zolboo,

I actually had the same issue on my phone and got it fixed at first by uninstalling the Gmail app and installing it again. But after a while, the same thing started happening. I thought it had to do with my phone, so I did some research and found the following fix:

Reset the App permissions, it may be that an app or apps or something connected is causing the issue.

Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > see all apps > select three dots > Reset a
... See more
Hi Zolboo,

I actually had the same issue on my phone and got it fixed at first by uninstalling the Gmail app and installing it again. But after a while, the same thing started happening. I thought it had to do with my phone, so I did some research and found the following fix:

Reset the App permissions, it may be that an app or apps or something connected is causing the issue.

Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > see all apps > select three dots > Reset app preferences.

Then reboot.

⚠️This will not delete your apps data but you will have to provide permissions for all your Apps again.⚠️

Then ensure Gmail has Notifications enabled in its App info>Notifications.

And this did the trick for me.

Hope you'll get it fixed too.
Collapse

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
no confidence Oct 8, 2021

About 6 months ago all my gmail emails (sent and received) suddenly disappeared from my PC. Nobody could help me to retrieve them nor explain what had happened. They could not be found at gmail itself, either. Since then I do not trust gmail with anything professional. My gmail account is just for "unimportant" things, and any message worth keeping gets copied onto my hard drive. For business I use another email account.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Gmail delay Oct 8, 2021

Hi Zolboo
I have an old gmail address I use less and less for work.

You can get a web hosting package from Bluehost for I think about 10-15 bucks/year, maybe a bit more but it's not much, register a domain name for about the same, then create an email for your web site, even if you haven't created the web site yet. I've been doing that for a few years now, no web site yet.

Today for example gmail is delayed, my web mail is not.

You'll also not have f
... See more
Hi Zolboo
I have an old gmail address I use less and less for work.

You can get a web hosting package from Bluehost for I think about 10-15 bucks/year, maybe a bit more but it's not much, register a domain name for about the same, then create an email for your web site, even if you haven't created the web site yet. I've been doing that for a few years now, no web site yet.

Today for example gmail is delayed, my web mail is not.

You'll also not have fewer problems with people thinking a gmail address has to be a scammer.

I've tried notification fixes but haven't found one that really works.
Collapse

Zolboo Batbold
John Fossey
Georgi Kovachev

Zolboo Batbold
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Suggest alternatives? Oct 8, 2021

British Diana wrote:

About 6 months ago all my gmail emails (sent and received) suddenly disappeared from my PC. Nobody could help me to retrieve them nor explain what had happened. They could not be found at gmail itself, either. Since then I do not trust gmail with anything professional. My gmail account is just for "unimportant" things, and any message worth keeping gets copied onto my hard drive. For business I use another email account.

I see. Can you recommend good alternatives to Gmail?

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Android Email Clients cannot be grasped - just use any with a good Play Store rating that works Oct 8, 2021

Hi,

Android IMAP Push Email and/or Background Synchronization Clients cannot really be grasped - just use any IMAP app of this kind with a good or even just acceptable Google Play rating that works on your phone and continues to do so after half a year of heavy translator-style use, as long as it is free of charge.

See I used to think I, like a well-known Danish contributor to the ProZ.com forums from, I think, Saxony-Anhalt, was it, had found thee Push Email Client, vi
... See more
Hi,

Android IMAP Push Email and/or Background Synchronization Clients cannot really be grasped - just use any IMAP app of this kind with a good or even just acceptable Google Play rating that works on your phone and continues to do so after half a year of heavy translator-style use, as long as it is free of charge.

See I used to think I, like a well-known Danish contributor to the ProZ.com forums from, I think, Saxony-Anhalt, was it, had found thee Push Email Client, viz. Blue Mail. It, however, stopped working about 5 months ago, after almost two years of excellent functioning, meaning it now produces major, inexplicable "folder allocation errors" where it cannot remember where its head is at anymore, rendering the email client 97% unusable even though it does keep downloading email to the phone.

I now use one you can just about find in Google Play if you know its name, which is an app utterly unheard of among most smartphone users, even European ones, called OX Mail, which is only 3.0 stars out of 5, yet it has been working fine for a good half year at this point.

So ... if K9 Mail works on your phone, use it, never mind the poor Google Play rating.

Or better yet, reinstall Gmail. That piece of advice could really do the trick. It has worked for me before twice with other email clients.

[Edited at 2021-10-08 13:08 GMT]
Collapse

RanzoThomas1212
RanzoThomas1212
Singapore
Gmail notifications on Android keep getting delayed. Oct 11, 2023

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by checking the sync Gmail settings.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Solution Oct 11, 2023

Had a same problem. Tried everything to fix the Gmail app, didn't work. Tried K9 Mail, still didn't work. Switched to Samsung Email. It's a silly little app, but does instant push notifications without delays like I wanted it to be. I didn't pair it with Gmail (the email service), though.

[Edited at 2023-10-11 13:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gmail notifications on Android keep getting delayed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »