Which broadband services would you recommend in the UK?
Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:14
Catalan to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2005

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right part of the forum for my question

I would like to ask which broadband services you would recommend in the UK. We need something to connect 2 laptops (one Mac and one PC) and hopefully not have too many downloading restrictions. Friends have recommended BT, but I am not sure what the other options are like. There is no cable (NTL etc.) in this area, BTW, so that is not
... See more
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right part of the forum for my question

I would like to ask which broadband services you would recommend in the UK. We need something to connect 2 laptops (one Mac and one PC) and hopefully not have too many downloading restrictions. Friends have recommended BT, but I am not sure what the other options are like. There is no cable (NTL etc.) in this area, BTW, so that is not an option.

Many thanks in advance!

Sheila
Collapse

RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
One option Feb 15, 2005

Hi Sheila,

I have been using Freedom2Surf for over two years now and I am very happy with their broadband service. They offer many different packages to choose from. A comparison can be found here: http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/comparison.php

The good thing about them is you don't necessarily have to take a one year contract, you can go month by month, dependin
... See more
Hi Sheila,

I have been using Freedom2Surf for over two years now and I am very happy with their broadband service. They offer many different packages to choose from. A comparison can be found here: http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/comparison.php

The good thing about them is you don't necessarily have to take a one year contract, you can go month by month, depending on the package.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
search for "reviews" in google recommends demon Feb 15, 2005

I don't have broadband yet but am also looking at the moment. When I searched google awhile back for reviews of the different services, I remember demon.co.uk* (I think that's the address) was the best rated with regard to everything EXCEPT they don't waive the start up fees. Otherwise, the criteria were things like customer service, speed...the main thing is to get an idea of the differences by reading reviews and then look at the services that provide the things YOU are looking for. It's like ... See more
I don't have broadband yet but am also looking at the moment. When I searched google awhile back for reviews of the different services, I remember demon.co.uk* (I think that's the address) was the best rated with regard to everything EXCEPT they don't waive the start up fees. Otherwise, the criteria were things like customer service, speed...the main thing is to get an idea of the differences by reading reviews and then look at the services that provide the things YOU are looking for. It's like buying a computer, people will sell you all sorts of things you don't need unless you're clear on what you want.
Hope that helps and let me know what you find out because I'm looking too and don't want to pay the demon start up fees (if they are still charging them).
dave
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
German to English
+ ...
Metronet Feb 15, 2005

It depends a lot on your download volume requirement.

Metronet (www.metronet.co.uk) starts at £10 +VAT per month for a 512Kbps account which includes 200MB of download. It costs £0.00225 +VAT per MB downloaded thereafter up to 4360MB with no additional charge after that. There is no download limit. Minimum contract is three months.

However if you stream audio or video or are otherwis
... See more
It depends a lot on your download volume requirement.

Metronet (www.metronet.co.uk) starts at £10 +VAT per month for a 512Kbps account which includes 200MB of download. It costs £0.00225 +VAT per MB downloaded thereafter up to 4360MB with no additional charge after that. There is no download limit. Minimum contract is three months.

However if you stream audio or video or are otherwise likely to download over 4GB a month you may well find a better deal elsewhere.

[Edited at 2005-02-15 13:22]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
have a look here... Feb 15, 2005

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

it's a good starting point. I use both Virgin.net and Clara.net and I find both quite good. Happy hunting!

Giovanni

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks!!! Feb 15, 2005

Hi everyone,

Thank you all very much for your advice! I am going to investigate these options.

Does anyone have experience with BT's broadband service? I have heard it is meant to be good. There are so many different services, it's hard to decide which to choose

Sheila

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Nildram Feb 15, 2005

Before moving to Germany a year ago I was with Nildram. Their service is great - I can highly recommend it
Gillian

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
talktalk Feb 15, 2005

I'm in London and we have TalkTalk broadband here - 512MB with absolutely no download restrictions for £20 per month, no setup cost, and they gave us a free modem. I've bought a wireless modem/router and adapters for our 2 PCs, total cost about £100 (we aren't using the modem the company gave us).

A caveat - the £20 a month offer is only available if you get your phone calls through TalkTalk - but they're not a cable company, they provide calls on your existing BT line. I have no
... See more
I'm in London and we have TalkTalk broadband here - 512MB with absolutely no download restrictions for £20 per month, no setup cost, and they gave us a free modem. I've bought a wireless modem/router and adapters for our 2 PCs, total cost about £100 (we aren't using the modem the company gave us).

A caveat - the £20 a month offer is only available if you get your phone calls through TalkTalk - but they're not a cable company, they provide calls on your existing BT line. I have no connection with them other than being a customer.

Haven't really had any problems with it, but it's only been a couple of months.
Collapse

Beth Fagnant
Beth Fagnant  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Uswitch Feb 15, 2005

I use tiscali, but you may want to go to http://www.uswitch.co.uk as they do a comparison of most providers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which broadband services would you recommend in the UK?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »