TransLinker - a smart web search tool
Thread poster: Александр Кормановский (X)
Александр Кормановский (X)
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:25
Russian to German
+ ...
Sep 5, 2013

Hi everyone!
I'd like to introduce TransLinker - a small utility for quick and comfortable web search.
It makes using your favorite search engines even easier -
the utility can copy any selected text of any window on pressing shortcuts, build a query and open it in your favorite web browser.
I'm a translator too, I initially developed it for myself and use it for a long time.
Hopefully my brainchild will be useful for you too.

Some further info
... See more
Hi everyone!
I'd like to introduce TransLinker - a small utility for quick and comfortable web search.
It makes using your favorite search engines even easier -
the utility can copy any selected text of any window on pressing shortcuts, build a query and open it in your favorite web browser.
I'm a translator too, I initially developed it for myself and use it for a long time.
Hopefully my brainchild will be useful for you too.

Some further info in English on my site www.praeeosoft.ru here.
You can download TransLinker here.
Any feedback in this topic or on [email protected] will be appreciated! Thank you!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 19:25
English to German
Competition is a stimulant Sep 5, 2013

Praeeo wrote:

(...)
Any feedback in this topic or on [email protected] will be appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you! And see http://glossarissimo.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/tool-multifultor-techwriters-home/

[Bearbeitet am 2013-09-05 14:19 GMT]

Russian Federation
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect Sep 5, 2013

A very nice implementation! I tried your app and it's very functional! The only thing I missed - is it possible (or "implementable") to open queries in a third-party browser like Opera etc. (like in my app)? I think with your approach (with POST queries) it is impossible (that's why you used a custom browser). Or am I wrong?

[Редактировалось 2013-09-05 16:31 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2013-09-05 17:01 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 19:25
English to German
Not perfect but much better than plain Google :-) Sep 6, 2013

Praeeo wrote:

The only thing I missed - is it possible (or "implementable") to open queries in a third-party browser like Opera etc. (like in my app)?

Why do you miss this?

I think with your approach (with POST queries) it is impossible (that's why you used a custom browser). Or am I wrong?

Third-party browsers cannot be get to send POST queries, yes – that was my main consideration.

But there are some more issues. (1) I don't want to discuss questions like "Dear Multifultor support, why does my Opera/Fox/... open new windows instead of new tabs as it did yesterday?" (2) There might be some issues with code pages etc. Just think of Chinese and of non-English URLs. Most Web sites work with UTF, but some sites demand a code page setting. With my solution all such things are under my control. (3) Third-party browsers use more space on the screen.

You may setup a third-party browser as a local data source (EXE). I haven't tried this, though.

Russian Federation
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
habit is second nature Sep 6, 2013

Dear Rolf, I simply like using all in one place - in my favorite browser (for instance, Opera), so I preferred this way. I agree, this is not an universal solution and not all is "under my control" in that case. By the way, here I discovered one more good app - IntelliWebSearch. It uses third-party browser too and I found that solution rather pretty. It's a pity I... See more
Dear Rolf, I simply like using all in one place - in my favorite browser (for instance, Opera), so I preferred this way. I agree, this is not an universal solution and not all is "under my control" in that case. By the way, here I discovered one more good app - IntelliWebSearch. It uses third-party browser too and I found that solution rather pretty. It's a pity I didn't know about it (and your utility) before, otherwise maybe I wouldn't "re-invent my own wheel", although I like it and continue using it.
It's nice if there are many possibilities and one can choose among them.

Appeal to moderators:
Please, do not wipe out this topic, it's not a "commercial solicitation", all apps mentioned here (and the mine too) are free, may be helpful to someone, and it will bring pure joy to their developers!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TransLinker - a smart web search tool

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »