Problems with website, pages not following the same format.
Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 14, 2009

Good afternoon ProZians,

I am in the middle of making a simple website for future clients, but can't seem to solve one particular problem. The website is http://pauladie.my.proz.com/index.htm . The hompage is just as I would like, but when I click the other pages, for example, the CV page, the width of the yellow banners change. This is even more dramatic if I click on the 'Fees and est
... See more
Good afternoon ProZians,

I am in the middle of making a simple website for future clients, but can't seem to solve one particular problem. The website is http://pauladie.my.proz.com/index.htm . The hompage is just as I would like, but when I click the other pages, for example, the CV page, the width of the yellow banners change. This is even more dramatic if I click on the 'Fees and estimates' page. I have compared the code of the hompage with the other pages, but cannot see any width difference that is causing the problem. Are there any techies here who could help solve the problem?

Oh yes, the site is by no means complete, if you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear from you also. I don't know if the colours are too garish and am looking for a more 'professional' photo.

Happy translating!

Paul
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 18:40
same problem May 14, 2009

Hi Paul

I had exactly the same problem when I created my website with the ProZ SiteCreator.
I also couldn't find the problem, so finally decided to use the index.html as a template for all other pages. This solved the problem.
In the end, however, I switched to Joomla - much easier, although it does take up a lot of space.

Frederic Lievre
Frederic Lievre
Ireland
Local time: 17:40
English to French
+ ...
I looked at the source... May 14, 2009

And saw that there is a lot of spacers ( ) in the code...
Carefull with those, some browser cannot use spacers properly...
Try to remove then and use layers instead

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maybe it's time to call in the professionals May 14, 2009

Have a look at this previous thread.

Now some advice.

I agree with Frederic about the spacers, what on earth are they doing all over the place?

And why are you using tables for the layout? Is that the only thing Frontpage allows?

The most current WC3 advice is to use div tags for layout
... See more
Have a look at this previous thread.

Now some advice.

I agree with Frederic about the spacers, what on earth are they doing all over the place?

And why are you using tables for the layout? Is that the only thing Frontpage allows?

The most current WC3 advice is to use div tags for layout and leave table tags for when you're actually creating a table. Creating a site which is XHTML 1.0 (Transitional or even better, Strict) is going to greatly improve your SEO results with Google etc.

Once you learn how to use div tags they're much more convenient. That is, once we've manage to get rid of IE6 and the box hacks it requires (but that applies to tables as well).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with website, pages not following the same format.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »