Two wireless desktops from one/different manufactures in one office?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May 16, 2007

Does anyone have experienced this already? Two desktops in neighbour rooms disturb each other... When my daughter writes in her room (2 or 3 meters from me, behind a wall), my keyboard is going nuts... This is very annoying.
Today I asked at some local reseller, but they told me, that even a desktop solution from other manufacturer will not help, because they all work with 2,4 GHz radio frequency. I was told to go for a Bluetooth solution.
Does anyone have another solution, how to pr
... See more
Does anyone have experienced this already? Two desktops in neighbour rooms disturb each other... When my daughter writes in her room (2 or 3 meters from me, behind a wall), my keyboard is going nuts... This is very annoying.
Today I asked at some local reseller, but they told me, that even a desktop solution from other manufacturer will not help, because they all work with 2,4 GHz radio frequency. I was told to go for a Bluetooth solution.
Does anyone have another solution, how to protect the keyboards from interfering? But please not a wired solution - I will not go for such option, regadless the reasons provided.

MTIA
Jerzy
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 04:50
English to Spanish
One solution. May 16, 2007

Either your daughter or you will have to move a little farther. Try the living room, for instance. If this doesn't work either, then reconsider wires, as I did.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:50
English to French
+ ...
I gave up on my wireless mouse... May 16, 2007

...when I found out why it kept going nuts: the satellite dish on the roof. It's gone now, so maybe I can dust off that good ol' mouse and try again...

I am afraid this problem will intensify as radio devices pop up all over the place in all kinds of applications. The only thing I can suggest is to position both radio emitters (the thingy plugged into the computer) as far as possible from each other. What they told you in the store is true: these all operate on the same frequencies
... See more
...when I found out why it kept going nuts: the satellite dish on the roof. It's gone now, so maybe I can dust off that good ol' mouse and try again...

I am afraid this problem will intensify as radio devices pop up all over the place in all kinds of applications. The only thing I can suggest is to position both radio emitters (the thingy plugged into the computer) as far as possible from each other. What they told you in the store is true: these all operate on the same frequencies and there is no "shield" that can keep their lines from crossing, unless they're far enough from each other.

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-05-16 23:28]
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Despite all the marketing blaa-blaa, May 18, 2007

no radio-based system is 100% interference-proof. Even the latest technology-based devices do not always operate as perfectly as we would like them to.
The easiest advice that comes to my mind is replace your daughter's radio mouse and keyboard with optical (IR) link devices. Hope this solution is not out-dated yet and products are available in stores.

Regards

Andrzej Mierzejewski

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Did you try changing channel? May 21, 2007

Hi Jerzy and all,

"Changing the wireless connection channel is useful if your
wireless device is experiencing interference."
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/3/0/330b80b7-1fd2-4c92-a864-89b0ee4fe728/WOD5000.pdf

Some 2,4 GHz devices can even do this automatically:
"...is able to perform frequen
... See more
Hi Jerzy and all,

"Changing the wireless connection channel is useful if your
wireless device is experiencing interference."
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/3/0/330b80b7-1fd2-4c92-a864-89b0ee4fe728/WOD5000.pdf

Some 2,4 GHz devices can even do this automatically:
"...is able to perform frequency hopping to avoid interference."
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GKM541R

"8 channels with 4096 IDs avoid interference"
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/index.php?x=reviews&id=558

"Advanced firmware technology provides 16 different channels and a unique product ID preventing others from "snooping" on your keystrokes as well as offering a clear connection greatly reducing interference from other wireless devices."
http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail~dpno~540278~descr~Creative%20Labs-Desktop%20Wireless%209000%20Pro%20Keyboard%206%20Mouse%20-%202.4GHz-Input%20Devices.aspx

All this makes me think that you can either activate this channel switching on the devices you have at home. If they don't support this feature, they are probably low-end/outdated technology. You could try upgrading to any of the above, or go the IR/Bluetooth route as suggested by our fellow prozians.

Good luck,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-05-21 07:41]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input May 21, 2007

Of course I have been trying to change channels. I followed the advice found on Logitech page to remove batteries for at least half an hour from the keyboard and let it reconnect, hoping it will take another channel. This helped for some time, but now the problems come back.

Currently I ordered a new keyboard from a different manufacturer, hoping that it will not interfere with the Logitech from my daughter.
Moving the desktops further away is not possible unles we build anoth
... See more
Of course I have been trying to change channels. I followed the advice found on Logitech page to remove batteries for at least half an hour from the keyboard and let it reconnect, hoping it will take another channel. This helped for some time, but now the problems come back.

Currently I ordered a new keyboard from a different manufacturer, hoping that it will not interfere with the Logitech from my daughter.
Moving the desktops further away is not possible unles we build another house. Moving receivers around is however still possible and this is what we are doing currently. But it does not help permanently, so after a while I have to start moving again
IR is not an option anymore, it seems such devices are completly out from the market.
Bluetooth might be an option, but... The only desktop I found acceptable is the Logitech DiNovo. Beside its very high price (regularly round 200 Euros!) its design might be problematic. It is splitted in two parts and I remember having read somwhere, that the numeric keypad does not accept Trados commands. So before I give so much money for a keyboard, which will be worn out in two years at the latest, I look for cheaper alternatives. Unfortunately, cheaper alternatives are not BT.
What I also do not understand, is why so many manufacturers mean they have to change the well known keyboard layout, which I'm so used to. They reduce the size, but remove or at least move the INS, END, DEL key, shrink their size, partially they produce keyboards without numeric keys... Horible for me, as I want to use Trados in the fastest way - via keyboard commands.

Now I have to wait until my Cherry Marlin desktop is delivered and will see, if it inteferes still with the Logitech from my daughter. If so, the last chance will be the DiNovo one... I will report.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-05-21 08:45]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
More alternatives May 21, 2007

Hey Jerzy,

No offence, you didn't mention changing channels in your bug description, so how would I know...

Anyway, there's still hope for you!

It seems that Microsoft, Dell and several other brands do manufacture BT keyboards too (I don't know about Polish or German chars, though). They're selling for as litt
... See more
Hey Jerzy,

No offence, you didn't mention changing channels in your bug description, so how would I know...

Anyway, there's still hope for you!

It seems that Microsoft, Dell and several other brands do manufacture BT keyboards too (I don't know about Polish or German chars, though). They're selling for as little as 20 USD on ebay!
http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sacat=33963&fsop=3&sadis=200&from=R10&sargn=-1&sofocus=so&fpos=ZIP/Postal&saprclo=&fis=2&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&satitle=bluetooth%20-(LOGITECH,DINOVO,EDGE)&saprchi=&guest=1

Yeah, some of them look like a fricking loaf of bread with a dozen special buttons, but at least some come with standard 101/102 layout. Check them out!

To me, it looks like the best of the lot is actually the Apple BT keyboard. Standard layout except for the windows/option key, and in these days of PC/Mac convergence there might even be windows drivers to support it?! Worth looking into..

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-05-21 13:22]

[Edited at 2007-05-21 13:24]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't feel offended May 21, 2007

Sorry if I sounded so.

Thank you for your research.

Jerzy

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Wireless USB will save Jerzy?! ;-) May 28, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Now I have to wait until my Cherry Marlin desktop is delivered and will see, if it inteferes still with the Logitech from my daughter. If so, the last chance will be the DiNovo one...

Hey Jerzy,

Don't talk about "last chance" yet!
There might be hope for you.

I bet you haven't heard of the new standard "Certified Wireless USB"?!
The first units are shipping towards the end of June, so this means, for a start, you can connect your favourite wired keyboard to this Wireless USB hub, and type without interference!
Later in 2007, you will be able to buy new keyboard units with built-in WUSB.

Read more here:
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS2405903431.html

Two examples shipping really soon:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/7275/
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS6143905225.html

If you're not desperate, I'd hang around and wait a few more weeks and grab one of these when they are released...

/Jan

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cherry Marlin is the solution May 28, 2007

For unknown reasons Logitech does not have the option to select the radio channel in its driver. But Cherry has - so in case of any interference I now may change the channel of my keyboard and should then get rid of it.
Besides that, the Cherry keyboard is very nice to work with.
Now my optimal configuration would be the Cherry keyboard and a Logitech mouse (they are still the best I know).

Thank you very much for your help.
I hope I may now say "case closed"
... See more
For unknown reasons Logitech does not have the option to select the radio channel in its driver. But Cherry has - so in case of any interference I now may change the channel of my keyboard and should then get rid of it.
Besides that, the Cherry keyboard is very nice to work with.
Now my optimal configuration would be the Cherry keyboard and a Logitech mouse (they are still the best I know).

Thank you very much for your help.
I hope I may now say "case closed"

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 04:50
English to Spanish
Thanks to you, Jerzy... May 28, 2007

...for sharing with us all this background, and solution to a problem a lot of people have.

Also grateful with Jan Sundström for his contributions.

Be happy now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two wireless desktops from one/different manufactures in one office?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »