Is there an application for PC that can collect from multiple e-mail accounts (like Gmail does)?
Thread poster: Tony M
Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 12:52
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 15, 2022

I currently use Gmail to collect mail from multiple e-mail accounts, but it has shortcomings that bother me, and I would prefer to find a different solution.

First of all, Gmail, "reads" all my mails — including, of course, customer-confidential material — and although the operations purport to be totally secure, it still bothers me that a machine somewhere is analysing every scrap of my content!

What's more, Gmail (in the free 'general public' version) limits you
... See more
I currently use Gmail to collect mail from multiple e-mail accounts, but it has shortcomings that bother me, and I would prefer to find a different solution.

First of all, Gmail, "reads" all my mails — including, of course, customer-confidential material — and although the operations purport to be totally secure, it still bothers me that a machine somewhere is analysing every scrap of my content!

What's more, Gmail (in the free 'general public' version) limits you to no more than 5 e-mail accounts, and I could do with a few more than that.
It also has other operational shortcomings that are little more than irritating!

Does anyone know of a free or very cheap application, without bells and whistles, that will simply allow me to collect e-mails from multiple accounts (different domains) and display them all together in one place?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Outlook or Thunderbird Aug 15, 2022

Tony M wrote:

Does anyone know of a free or very cheap application, without bells and whistles, that will simply allow me to collect e-mails from multiple accounts (different domains) and display them all together in one place?

I use MS Outlook for that, but of course we need an Office or Microsoft 365 licence, which I would guess most of us have.

But in case you don't, you could use the free email client Thunderbird.

Any decent email client should be able to do it.

I don't care much for Gmail's UIs and functionality either. I tried the Gmail app on my Android phone, but it didn't download all emails from my business server. The Outlook Android app doesn't support POP3, so it is useless for anyone who doesn't want it to delete emails from the server when they delete emails on the phone. I use Bluemail on my phone for the moment.

Christopher Schröder

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I use Thunderbird... Aug 15, 2022

Very reliable and easy to set up... I've been using it for years.

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
Kevin Fulton

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I use Thunderbird Aug 15, 2022

but as far as I know every mail client collects mails from all your different accounts (Outlook which I used before did this too). The mails are displayed (received, sent and so on) separately for each account.

Thomas T. Frost

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:52
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
The Bat Aug 15, 2022

(another email client)

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
English to French
+ ...
Outlook Aug 15, 2022

Hi, Tony:

I've been using Outlook for > 25 years.

Pros:

• Included in most (but not the cheapest) MS Office bundles;

• Pros:

• Included in most (but not the cheapest) MS Office bundles.

• Extremely powerful

• Combines and integrates mail client, calendar, contact list and task manager

• Many useful add-ons available from several vendors

Cons:
Hi, Tony:

I've been using Outlook for > 25 years.

Pros:

• Included in most (but not the cheapest) MS Office bundles;

• Pros:

• Included in most (but not the cheapest) MS Office bundles.

• Extremely powerful

• Combines and integrates mail client, calendar, contact list and task manager

• Many useful add-ons available from several vendors

Cons:

• Needs some practice to master;

Not to be confused with the Android app by the same name (and, presumably, an MS app), which is full of defects.

J L ▲ Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry, I missed out a key requirement! Aug 15, 2022

Thanks to all contributors so far!

I apologise for having omitted my key requirement, which is the reason I long ago had to ditch both Outlook and Thunderbird!
They both have to drawbacks that I found myself unable to get around:
1) the messages are locked away in a proprietary database, and so can't be readily accessed in their native format.
2) I need to be able to access my messages from several different machines, but with the messages all stored on my externa
... See more

I apologise for having omitted my key requirement, which is the reason I long ago had to ditch both Outlook and Thunderbird!
1) the messages are locked away in a proprietary database, and so can't be readily accessed in their native format.
2) I need to be able to access my messages from several different machines, but with the messages all stored on my external hard drive.

In the past, every time I've had a computer crash, I have lost all my archived emails; because of the storage format used, I couldn't figure out how to copy the storage file off the hard drive on the dead PC and into the brand new Thunderbird on my new PC; in fact, when I tried this ploy, I got it wrong, and instead of copying old > new, i ended up deleting the entire archive I was trying to save!
What I REALLY want to do is to be able to have all my e-mails stored onto my external hard drive (and its backup), and be able to readily access them from any PC I happen to be using (locally!)

I have several legacy e-mail archives that I'd like to be able to combine into a single file and then continue using from any of my machines.

If anyone can suggest a better way of doing it, then I'll be forever in your debt!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Erm... an e-mail client? Aug 15, 2022

Tony M wrote:

It sounds like you are looking for an e-mail client, like Outlook or Thunderbird or SeaMonkey or Vivaldi Mail.

Tony M wrote:
I apologise for having omitted my key requirement, which is the reason I long ago had to ditch ... Thunderbird!
2) I need to be able to access my messages from several different machines, but with the messages all stored on my external hard drive.

Thunderbird stores mail in the MBOX format, which is a plaintext format that can be read/imported by many other mail programs. Each "folder" in Thunderbird is stored in a single file on the hard drive. These files don't have file extensions, unfortunately.

You can set the location of your "profile" in Thuderbird, and your mails and message rules are stored in the profile folder. In fact, you can zip up the entire profile folder, move it to a new computer, unzip it, and then tell Thunderbird where the new profile's folder is (google for more comprehensive instructions... it's not 100% super easy, but it's reasonably easy if you're computer literate). I chose a folder on my D drive, so my mails are stored in this folder:
D:\Thunderbird\Profiles\a6bsxc3z.default\Mail\

If you want to be able to access your mail from multiple computers, then you must connect to the mail servers using IMAP instead of POP3. IMAP synchronizes the mail folders with the server (so if you delete a mail locally, it gets deleted on the sever, and thus can't be access on any other computer that polls the server, etc.). However, IMAP doesn't download a message unless you actually try to read it.

Alternatively, I suppose you could choose to put your profile on an external drive, but then you won't be able to use Thunderbird unless the external drive is plugged in.

I have several legacy e-mail archives that I'd like to be able to combine into a single file and then continue using from any of my machines.

In what format are your archives?

[Edited at 2022-08-15 16:49 GMT]

Kevin Fulton

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
English to French
+ ...
Important missing info, indeed Aug 15, 2022

Tony:

Indeed, those requirements change everything.

The Enterprise version of Outlook, with a central server/data repository, does meet your requirements, but is expensive.

J L

Tony M wrote:

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
You have to pay for it Aug 15, 2022

so that YOU are the client, not advertisers buying data about you.

https://www.emclient.com/?lang=en

Without going too much in details, lots of functionalities i.e. "small details" you won't find elsewhere. You can work offline, need to connect only to send/receive. No ads, no trying to push on you their selection of news.

Very clear and "clean" utilitarian user in
... See more
so that YOU are the client, not advertisers buying data about you.

https://www.emclient.com/?lang=en

Without going too much in details, lots of functionalities i.e. "small details" you won't find elsewhere. You can work offline, need to connect only to send/receive. No ads, no trying to push on you their selection of news.

Very clear and "clean" utilitarian user interface, no gimmicky graphics wasting screen space.

You can test the free version, same as the paid one, only limited to 2 email accounts.

The licence for the paid version is forever - including support for the first year.

Worth trying.

[Edited at 2022-08-15 21:55 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Fastmail Aug 16, 2022

Tony M wrote:

I migrated from gmail to Fastmail many years ago for this very reason. I have separate accounts for private and professional email. It has been reliable and the interface is clean and responsive. When I started I was able to import all my email from gmail without problems (I used a third-party service for that one-off event).

I am not sure how many accounts Fastmail allows you to bring together in its inbox, but there is a description here:
https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/1500000278022-Using-other-email-addresses

I find aliases useful for setting up multiple "mailboxes" per account.
https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/360060591073-How-to-set-up-aliases

The "medium" plan costs about 40 pounds a year, I think, which is reasonable. As often noted, if you're not paying for an online service, then you're most likely the product...

Regards
Dan

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Windows Live Mail Aug 16, 2022

Tony M wrote:

Hi Tony!

This application exists (and takes into account also your requirements) even if nobody talks about it anymore. I currently use it with 8 accounts from different providers and save everything on an external hard drive as well.

In addition to what I was saying here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/french/343948-logiciel_de_messagerie_qui_dit_mieux_quoutlook.html#2850877

the application still works well also with Windows 11 Pro. The proposed download link still works, but there are others if needed.

Like any new product, it requires a bit of a learning curve, but you'll be satisfied, I hope so. My ProZ status does not allow me to paste pictures, but you will find some on different sites.

Bonne continuation !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an application for PC that can collect from multiple e-mail accounts (like Gmail does)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »