How to change default web browser in .chm files?
Thread poster: Danesh
Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 10:53
English to Persian (Farsi)
Mar 24, 2022

When clicked on, some hyperlinks in a .chm file (Microsoft® HTML Help file, on Windows 7x64 Ultimate) are opened in Internet Explorer 11. How can I make it use Firefox instead?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:23
English to Russian
Right-click - Properties - Change application Mar 24, 2022

Righ-click any chm file, select Properties and click Change against the 'Application' filed.
2022-03-24_170829

esperantisto

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Are you sure? Mar 24, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Right-click any CHM file, select Properties and click Change against the 'Application' filed.

If you do that, it'll change which program attempts to open the CHM file, but unless you can actually open a CHM file in Firefox (which doesn't appear to be possible), this won't change in which program the hyperlinks inside a CHM file are opened in.

I tested a few CHM files with hyperlinks inside of them, and on my computer they actually open the hyperlinks (e.g. links to webpages) inside the CHM Viewer, which kinda looks like a stripped-down version of Internet Explorer.

Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 10:53
English to Persian (Farsi)
TOPIC STARTER
your suggested solution dosen't work Mar 25, 2022

Dear Stephen,
Hello. Thank you. According to your suggested solution, I changed the program to open the .chm file with specifying Firefox. It does, but when I return to the .chm file and click the link I said before, the link is dead and doesn't open any browser at all, neither Internet Explorer nor Firefox!
Samouel is right. But I wonder why after changing the program (with which the links in the .chm file) to open in Firefox then the links go dead and don't open at all.
I ret
... See more
Dear Stephen,
Hello. Thank you. According to your suggested solution, I changed the program to open the .chm file with specifying Firefox. It does, but when I return to the .chm file and click the link I said before, the link is dead and doesn't open any browser at all, neither Internet Explorer nor Firefox!
Samouel is right. But I wonder why after changing the program (with which the links in the .chm file) to open in Firefox then the links go dead and don't open at all.
I returned to the original status. Now it is as it was in the beginning, i.e. the link in .chm file again is opened in Internet Explorer.
I there no way to force the links in a .chm file to open in Firefox instead of Internet Explorer?

Thank you very much for your help.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
I'm sorry, Jon. Mar 25, 2022

CHM - also known as chump; a stupid proprietary file format that nobody uses except Microsnort Windouche™, created solely for the purpose of making your life miserable.

You can’t. There used to be several CHM reader addons for Firefox. But they no longer work since Firefox switched to the Quantum engine.

I recommend to use SumatraPDF instead.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change default web browser in .chm files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »