Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 21, 2022

When I try to open my website (www.espaned.com) on the internet, I get the message:

'Apache is functioning normally' or 'Not Found / The requested URL /pages/startpage1.php was not found on this server. / Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.'

This problem seems to occur at random, that is, some people/friends can
... See more
When I try to open my website (www.espaned.com) on the internet, I get the message:

'Apache is functioning normally' or 'Not Found / The requested URL /pages/startpage1.php was not found on this server. / Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.'

This problem seems to occur at random, that is, some people/friends can open it, some can't (me for example). So, it is running.

I tried it on several computers, tablets, smartphones and different IP-addresses.

Does anybody knows A) What is going on, and B) How to solve it?

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Bluehost? Feb 21, 2022

Hi Robert
If your site is on a Bluehost hosting plan they're updating php this week.

I opened http://www.espaned.com/ but got a "This site is unsecure" warning.

There are https plugins to fix that.

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
. Feb 21, 2022

[Edited at 2022-02-22 07:50 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Feb 21, 2022

I had no problem accessing it. Was the problem solved in the meanwhile?

Thomas Pfann
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Recep Kurt

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Feb 21, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I had no problem accessing it. Was the problem solved in the meanwhile?

A friend of mine removed the ipv6 record of the DNS, so the DNS of my computer goes automatically to ipv4 (????, sorry, abracadabra for me).

I can open the site, but not on all links. He advised me to wait 24 hours, so the new setting is accepted by the World Wide Web.

That is what I am doing now.

PS) Site is/(was?) not working on Chrome, had no problems with other browsers.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
SSL issue? I don't think so. Feb 21, 2022

SSL certificates "prove to the browser" that the browser is accessing the original server instead of a fake server.

If it really is a certificate issue, there are two possibilities:
(1) Your browser settings require the web server to present a certificate, but the web server malfunctions by sometimes not presenting one. If so, you should not get a "not found" error, though.
(2) Your browser settings do not require the web server to present a certificate. Obviously
... See more
SSL certificates "prove to the browser" that the browser is accessing the original server instead of a fake server.

If it really is a certificate issue, there are two possibilities:
(1) Your browser settings require the web server to present a certificate, but the web server malfunctions by sometimes not presenting one. If so, you should not get a "not found" error, though.
(2) Your browser settings do not require the web server to present a certificate. Obviously this possibility can be excluded.

So it should not actually be a certificate issue. Maybe your hoster uses multiple servers and it depends on your location and the current load if you get a connection.

Apart from that, Robert, you should definitely give your website a certificate. Otherwise, many potential site visitors will never see your website.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Feb 21, 2022

I am able to open the site and all the links (in all languages). Should I send a message to you through the website (as a "fake" quotation) just to see if you will receive it?

Teresa

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Feb 22, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I am able to open the site and all the links (in all languages). Should I send a message to you through the website (as a "fake" quotation) just to see if you will receive it?

Teresa

Thank you, but that won't be necessary.

Kind regards,

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open my website

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »