Downloading ZIP files from Plunet portals: corrupted ZIP files all the time
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dec 16, 2021

I have this issue with Plunet portals from several clients that ZIP files containing translation projects, reference material etc.:

• take long before they are created (on the fly)
  • turn out to be corrupt once they have been downloaded

I know that portals are there for the clients and not for the translators, but this does cost me a lot of time.

I'd be interested in the experience of other translators regarding Plunet portals.
... See more
I have this issue with Plunet portals from several clients that ZIP files containing translation projects, reference material etc.:

• take long before they are created (on the fly)
  • turn out to be corrupt once they have been downloaded

I know that portals are there for the clients and not for the translators, but this does cost me a lot of time.

I'd be interested in the experience of other translators regarding Plunet portals.

A solution that comes to mind is that clients already ZIP (and verify) their data before making them available via the portal. Is this possible at all with Plunet?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@German Dec 16, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
I have this issue with Plunet portals from several clients that ZIP files containing translation projects, reference material etc.

I also have clients with Plunet portals, but I don't have the same problem. Did you try using a different browser?

ahartje

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Sure I did Dec 16, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have this issue with Plunet portals from several clients that ZIP files containing translation projects, reference material etc.

I also have clients with Plunet portals, but I don't have the same problem. Did you try using a different browser?

Safari, Chrome, Firefox, all for Mac.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Already zipped Dec 16, 2021

A solution that comes to mind is that clients already ZIP (and verify) their data before making them available via the portal. Is this possible at all with Plunet?

I work with one agency that uses Plunet, their projects are available for download as single zipped files (no on-the-fly compression) and I've never encountered corruption issues (Chrome/Windows). I'm not very keen on such portals, but there's hardly any overhead/waste of time with this one.

Philippe

Christine Andersen

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
What a luxury Dec 16, 2021

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I work with one agency that uses Plunet, their projects are available for download as single zipped files (no on-the-fly compression) and I've never encountered corruption issues (Chrome/Windows).

I am under the impression that server load is relevant here. In 'busy times' (that is, when the server is busy), I encounter more problems.

I have one client that lets Plunet create a ZIP package of 400 MB for each and every job (even for really tiny jobs). They told me to click the download button and to wait 15 minutes before the server has finished. So I do. And then, often, the ZIP packages turn out to be corrupted.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Anything to do with Mac? Dec 16, 2021

I notice you say all your browsers are for Mac. Could there be some glitch there?
As I have not used a Mac for 25 years, it is just a wild thought.

During that time I have had several clients who use Plunet, and it is interesting to see how it can be configured in many ways. With one of my favourite clients it is really translator friendly. At the other end of the scale I have met Plunet configured as a complete PITB and grounds for refusing to work with that client.
... See more
I notice you say all your browsers are for Mac. Could there be some glitch there?
As I have not used a Mac for 25 years, it is just a wild thought.

During that time I have had several clients who use Plunet, and it is interesting to see how it can be configured in many ways. With one of my favourite clients it is really translator friendly. At the other end of the scale I have met Plunet configured as a complete PITB and grounds for refusing to work with that client.

I have always used Microsoft, and usually had no problems with actually downloading the zipped files.
Being allowed to log in to Plunet ranges from quick and easy to almost impossible, but that is another story.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Timeout problem? Dec 16, 2021

I am under the impression that server load is relevant here. In 'busy times' (that is, when the server is busy), I encounter more problems.

Maybe the server load causes the server to insert (tiny) pauses that are too long for your Mac. Browsers rely on the operating system's functions for downloading. These functions might fail if some setting or other is inappropriate for communicating with that server. Or if that server communicates incorrectly.

E. g. in case a timeout occurs this event might be handled incorrectly (by the server OR by your Mac) and thus might result in a loss of some data so that the zip file's content is incorrect.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Downloading ZIP files from Plunet portals: corrupted ZIP files all the time

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »