Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Lionbridge PMs can "detect" the use of SDL over their proprietary CAT tool?
Thread poster: Rebekah Olson
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:53
English to Russian
Jan 13, 2023

[Edited at 2023-01-13 23:49 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Possibly only "free" via sub-sub-sub-contractors Jan 14, 2023

Maurits Meulenbelt wrote:
Lionbridge’s tools should be available for free for freelancers. See this link on their Partner Portal...

The only times I had been able to get free access to Lionbridge's utilities were in situations where I worked for pass-through or middle-men agencies who had bought one or two licenses for themselves, whose login credentials they then share among all their freelancers. I'm not sure if this is against LionBridge's rules somehow, but it happens often enough.

A number of my clients are pass-through agencies (or I suspect that they are) -- towards the upstream agency, they claim to be e.g. an English-German translator, negotiate long deadlines, and then pass the work to their freelancers, and when they get the work back, they run all kinds of QA checks on it to reduce their risk, and submit the work to the upstream agency as their own work. Or: they tell the upstream agency that they're a translation office (i.e. that they have English-German translators working in their office) and presumably have a software license for their "office", when in fact they just work with freelancers all over the world. I'm not sure if this is against LionBridge's rules -- but I'm sure the guys over at LionBridge are not stupid and they know how the world works.

Stepan Konev
Rebekah Olson

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nope Jan 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Possibly only "free" via sub-sub-sub-contractors

No. The translator who works in my office gets it for free working direct for LB.

Maurits Meulenbelt
Maurits Meulenbelt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Re Jan 14, 2023

But did you read the link I posted? If you work directly for Lionbridge as a freelancer, you can use their software for free. And I have been doing both for years. If you work through some shifty subcontractor that lies to Lionbridge, then you’re out of luck. Because of course you would be.

Christopher Schröder

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Can't find a use for my free credentials Jan 14, 2023

And I have been doing both for years.
Do you manage to keep a direct contact with project managers? How? After they introduced their automatic marketplace, I can't catch a single job even when I stay logged in my account. The only benefit I have now from being a LB freelancer is my free access to their TWS and LTB3 that I never use because of the same automatic job distribution feature...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Stepan Jan 14, 2023

Most jobs I am offered don’t go through LCX. They’re mostly for pennies anyway. Horrid system.

I normally get asked by email like with any other agency.

Maurits Meulenbelt
Maurits Meulenbelt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Re Jan 15, 2023

Their marketplace (LCX Jobboard) is very hit and miss. Some jobs seem to be offered to lots of translators at the same time and are gone within seconds. But some PMs prefer to work with a smaller number of regular translators to whom they offer jobs first, and only if those translators can’t take it they cast their nets wider. I guess I’m lucky to be one of those translators for a couple of PMs.

Stepan Konev
Christopher Schröder

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blackmail. Jan 15, 2023

Rebekah Olson wrote:

In this case then, does anyone have a work-around for their extremely expensive SUBSCRIPTION-based software? I keep being told that to work with them I HAVE to use their software, which costs some $500 a year, every year indefinitely.

Of course they don't lo$$$$$e. That's a blackmail.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try reading Jan 15, 2023

Yaotl Altan wrote:
That's a blackmail.
It is only a paid tool for those who don't work for LB directly.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not quite Jan 16, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:
That's a blackmail.
It is only a paid tool for those who don't work for LB directly.

And for the OP… for some reason…

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Reason Jan 16, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
Because she doesn't have an account with LB and works for a subagency the way Samuel described above.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
To sub or not to sub Jan 16, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:
Because she doesn't have an account with LB and works for a subagency the way Samuel described above.

OP hasn’t said that’s the case, has she? I got the impression it was a direct relationship.

I find it hard to believe any agency could make money subcontracting for LB. Although it would explain some of the stuff I’ve seen.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: hard to believe — That's true Jan 16, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
OP hasn’t said that’s the case, has she?
If she had an account with LB, she would have the login and tenancy.

I find it hard to believe any agency could make money subcontracting for LB. Although it would explain some of the stuff I’ve seen.
In addition to what Samuel mentioned in his comments (not only in this thread), I also work for a Russian agency that offers me LB jobs from time to time. I used to reject such subcontract relations before Feb24'22, but I accept them now that LB officially suspended collaboration with Russian translators, and the number of jobs in general has decreased drastically. The agency gives me the LB credentials for me to complete their task.

Christopher Schröder

Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That only works for a limited time, apparently Jan 19, 2023

Lionbridge’s tools should be available for free for freelancers. See this link on their Partner Portal: https://partners.lionbridge.com/SPPProtected/TranslationWorkspace

To quote the relevant parts (you have to be a Lionbridge partner to log in and see the page):
“As a new Community Partner, you should have received a “welcome email” from the GeoWorkz team with instructions on how to sign-up to access Translation Workspace. If you did not receive a welcome email, please contact the GeoWorkz team and they will address it right away.”

I was just told by one of their support/helpdesk staff that my freelance account had been "archived" and there's no way to reactivate it. He told me, in no uncertain terms, the only way to work with them is to pay to subscribe to their product. I wish I understood how screenshots work in this forum, I'd show you his e-mail if I could.

Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clunky af Jan 19, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

I have also translated Lionbridge’s xlz files with Trados in the past, and that worked well, without having to unpack them and jumping through any hoops. Just add them to a Trados project as-is. Of course that means you can’t use their translation memories, so you might want to stick with XLIFF Editor. It’s not that bad.
When you save your translation from Trados, the output file structure is always different from the input file. That is why they can see that you used Trados and that is why they forbid using CAT tools other than their TWS XLIFF Editor.
Also I wonder what can be worse than TWS that fails to run simple commands like Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C/V, etc.

Seriously - the clunkiness of the command prompts is absurd. This thing looks like it was built in 1995 and never updated (though I know it has been). You can't do hardly anything with it and to manually have to click into every cell if your keyboard (like many laptops) doens't have a separate "end" key is ridiculous. It's taking me ages to translate in this program, but if I use Trados, I don' have access to their TMs.

Wondering if I could -
1. Open XLZ in XLIFF editor
2. Auto-populate all TMs matches (is this even possible?)
3. Save and then open saved XLZ in Trados
4. Work on file
5. Save and then open saved Trados file in XLIFF editor (the program seems to have a convertor?)

Do you think this ridiculously round-about process would work?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lionbridge PMs can "detect" the use of SDL over their proprietary CAT tool?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »