Poll: How do you typically celebrate International Translation Day?
Vestluse postitaja: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SAIDI PERSONAL
08:10

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you typically celebrate International Translation Day?".

View the poll results »



 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
Belgia
Local time: 20:35
Liige (2020)
prantsuse - hollandi
+ ...
I don't 08:48

I've always been a fulltime translator in the true sense of the word. Fulltime = fulltime, meaning working from morning until (often late in) the evening. Every single working day for the past 21 years. Slow periods are rare, in total perhaps 2-3 weeks per year, so in the rare event that I'm having some spare time the last thing I'm going to do is watch or attend seminars or whatever. I'm either working or doing something completely different from translation.

Claudio Machado Junior
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:35
Liige (2007)
inglise - portugali
+ ...
Business as usual... 09:05

With a little thought for all my peers who might be doing the same thing!

expressisverbis
Claudio Machado Junior
Thayenga
Maria Laura Curzi
 
Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Saksamaa
Local time: 20:35
inglise - saksa
+ ...
I don't 09:06

It's all just business as usual for me.
I do observe actual public holidays in my region, but International Translation Day in particular is just a sad joke nowadays, anyway. It's the day when big LSPs wax poetic about the craft and art of human translation on sites liked LinkedIn, only to return to their usual lying, gaslighting and price-gouging ways a day later.


expressisverbis
Claudio Machado Junior
Thayenga
Maria Laura Curzi
SandraV
 
Gregor Trebec
Gregor Trebec
Sloveenia
Local time: 20:35
inglise - sloveeni
+ ...
Well.. 11:19

I fire the firework. :>

 
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:35
inglise - portugali
+ ...
Every day 11:54

More than ever, International Translation Day should remind us that translators deserve to be valued and celebrated every day, not just on 30 September.
And I do it every day.


Claudio Machado Junior
 
Claudio Machado Junior
Claudio Machado Junior  Identity Verified
Brasiilia
Local time: 15:35
Liige (2014)
inglise - portugali
+ ...
I don't wanna sound bitter, but... 12:05

Taking a day off to "celebrate"?! You're kidding, right? Right?

Maria Laura Curzi
SandraV
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Harishankar Shahi
Harishankar Shahi  Identity Verified
India
Liige (2014)
inglise - hindi
+ ...
What to celebrate? 13:25

Translation Industry is sinking. Companies and Translation agencies prefer AI whether output good or bad, rates are even below than absurd thresold. So, there is nothing to celebrate or taking part in any Proz event to listen non-realistic speeches.

Maria Laura Curzi
SandraV
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
Prantsusmaa
Local time: 20:35
inglise - saksa
+ ...
Huh? 16:27

Ditto

 
Well… 17:03

I used to throw a massive party on our yacht with free champagne and fireworks and the most exquisite canapés served on silver platters by naked dwarves, but I must confess it completely slipped my mind this year.

Could be because I was last offered translation work in April, despite not yet having told any of my clients I’ve retired.

The good news is that I’m much happier back in my natural role as an international gigolo.


Matthias Brombach
 
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
prantsuse - inglise
Good job too 17:15

The Shredder wrote:

I used to throw a massive party on our yacht with free champagne and fireworks and the most exquisite canapés served on silver platters by naked dwarves,


Yeah, look, none of us ever said anything because we're all too polite, but it doesn't half hurt your back constantly bending down to snaffle a vol-au-vent when the serving tray is only 2 foot off the ground.


The Shredder
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Selle foorumi moderaatorid
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you typically celebrate International Translation Day?






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt
Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance

PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.

More info »