Thread poster: Kenneth Woo
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
Substantial meaning prosperous Jun 2, 2014

A farmer[1] (also called an agriculturer) is a person engaged in agriculture, raising living organisms for food or raw materials. The term usually applies to people who do some combination of raising field crops, orchards, vineyards, poultry, or other livestock. A farmer might own the farmed land or might work as a labourer on land owned by others, but in advanced economies, a farmer is usually a farm owner, while employees of the farm are known as farm workers, or farmhands.

Fargoer,

I think we're talking about the same thing. From the wiki link you provided, it says clearly that " ... in advanced economies, a farmer is usually a farm owner, while employees of the farm are known as farm workers, or farmhands".

Unless stone used some examples that weren't originated from an English-speaking country, I think it could be assumed that the sample sentence wasn't referring to farm workers or farmhands.

You might have missed the Merriam-Webster Student Dictionary definition that I provided before.

http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?book=Student&va=substantial

Main Entry: sub·stan·tial

Function: adjective
1 a : consisting of or relating to substance : MATERIAL b : not imaginary : REAL 《the substantial world》 c : IMPORTANT 1, essential 《substantial differences》

2 : enough to satisfy and nourish 《a substantial meal》

3 a : PROSPEROUS 1 《a substantial farmer》 b : considerable in quantity : significantly large 《a substantial increase》
4 : firmly constructed 《a substantial building》

Phil also mentioned that "第四句也是,那些农夫地多钱多".

I agree with Phil, and definitely agree with the Merriam-Webster Dictionary on this.

[Edited at 2014-06-02 13:45 GMT]

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 07:42
English to Chinese
措辞 Jun 2, 2014

wherestip wrote:

I agree with Phil, and definitely agree with the Merriam-Webster Dictionary on this.

[Edited at 2014-06-02 13:45 GMT]

有实力的农场主?

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
原句 "He introduced us to a number of substantial farmers" Jun 2, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

wherestip wrote:

有实力的农场主?

Sure, I think that's a good choice of words. But I also think it largely depends on the context. 因此 “富裕的”、 “成功的”、 “有威望的” 都有可能。

Anyway, I think it likely refers to a number of farmers who have substantial means, are financially successful, and therefore have substantial influence or clout in the community.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
要看歷史背景 Jun 2, 2014

據 WIKI 解釋, substantial farming 在美國現已不存在,因此要考慮歷史才能給substantial farmers有一個較合理的翻譯。一般而言, substantial farming 是一種自給自足的農業生產方式, 如按這個解釋,substantial farmers 就是自給自足的農戶了。

Reference﹕
Question: What is substantial farming?
Answer: Substantial farming is a form of farming the pioneers used to feed themselves. It means that they grew th
... See more
據 WIKI 解釋, substantial farming 在美國現已不存在,因此要考慮歷史才能給substantial farmers有一個較合理的翻譯。一般而言, substantial farming 是一種自給自足的農業生產方式, 如按這個解釋,substantial farmers 就是自給自足的農戶了。

Reference﹕
Question: What is substantial farming?
Answer: Substantial farming is a form of farming the pioneers used to feed themselves. It means that they grew their food to eat and did not sell any of it for profit. Substantial farming is practically non-existent today.

[Edited at 2014-06-02 16:32 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Some lines from Woody Allen's movie "Blue Jasmine" Jun 2, 2014

Ginger: You hate him?
Jasmine: Yeah.
Ginger: I could tell you two didn't hit it off.
Jasmine: He's another version of Augie. He's a loser.
Ginger: Hey, didn't I hear Eddie say he knows a dentist looking for help?
Jasmine: Oh, forget it! Jesus, it's too menial! I'd go nuts. I wanna go back to school.
I wanna get my degree and become, you know, something substantial. I can't just do some mindless job.
I was forced to take a job selling shoes on Madison Avenue. Oh, so humiliating.
Friends I'd had at dinner parties at our apartment came in...
...and I waited on them. I mean, do you have any idea what that's like?
You know, one minute, you're hosting women...
...and the next, you're measuring their shoe size and fitting them.
Erica Bishop came into the store. She saw me, and was so embarrassed for me...
...she slipped out thinking I didn't see her.
I saw you, Erica!

Jasmine: Sharon, do you know any men?
Sharon: Men?
Jasmine: Men that would be good for me. I just moved here, so I don't really know anybody.
Sharon: If you can't fall in love in San Francisco, you can't fall in love anywhere.
Jasmine: Someone substantial.
Sharon: Well, what are you doing Sunday afternoon?
Jasmine: Not very much.
Sharon: Tony and I are going to a party. Come with.
Jasmine: Oh, no, no. I don't think I'm ready for a big crowd of strangers.
Sharon: Oh, come on. It's a big bash someone's having. There'll be all kinds of people.
Make an effort, otherwise nothing happens. Then you blame everything but yourself.
Jasmine: No, I want to. It's not that I don't want to. Can I bring my sister?
Sharon: For moral support? Absolutely. And Tony and I will be there. You'll have fun. It's a huge party. Maybe you'll get lucky.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 09:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Vision Values Mission Jun 3, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

所谓翻译,是要把原文中的信息点,完全映射到译文中。
有时候这些“信息点”可能并非单词,但个别单词难译的时候,不妨尝试一下用更地道的语言把“信息点”表达出来。

Yuliang, 我比较同意你的看法。

说到这里,忽然想到我之前碰到的一段中译英,典型的中国式写作风格,翻译起来很困难:

集团将坚守“志高远、纳百川,创造行业新未来”的信念,秉承“严谨、务实、和谐、卓越”的企业价值观,“知行合一、与时俱进”,携手各界精英、共创辉煌。

各位遇到这种情况,一般如何处理?

我也试着翻译了上面这段。正象Jun Yuan 在前面例句中提到的, 我也认为译文应该突出: Vision, Values, Mission.
供参考。

As an (organization / enterprise), we firmly believe in providing optimal value, fostering diversity of cultures, and exploring new potential for future growth. We are governed by our core values – Prudence, Performance, Harmony and Excellence. We seek to integrate resources and stay up-to-date on industry trends; and aim to achieve superior outcomes through partnering with industry leading experts.

Yi-Hua Shih
Yi-Hua Shih  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 21:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
感謝各位的討論 Jun 3, 2014

感謝各位對 substantial 這字的討論。

我若不是看到 substantial farmer 這樣的句子,還真沒想過可以用<殷實的>來譯這個字 ^_^

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

難字難詞漢譯

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »