Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 20, 2008

Hello all!
I stopped using Adobe Reader after version 5, when it became too slow and complicated. Now I have been using Foxreader for some time, I have a lisence. But I cannot save pdfs from Foxreader. Should probably pay more money again.

So I'd like your opinion. Is the newest free version of Adobe any better than Version 6? Does it mix up things during installation? I'm afraid even to try it in case it changes all my settings at once.
Is it well compatible with Firefo
... See more
Hello all!
I stopped using Adobe Reader after version 5, when it became too slow and complicated. Now I have been using Foxreader for some time, I have a lisence. But I cannot save pdfs from Foxreader. Should probably pay more money again.

So I'd like your opinion. Is the newest free version of Adobe any better than Version 6? Does it mix up things during installation? I'm afraid even to try it in case it changes all my settings at once.
Is it well compatible with Firefox 2?

Or what pdf-reader do you use? Can you save files that have been changed (viewing orientation)? Is it free?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
PDF Converter Professional Sep 20, 2008

For measly $99.

Why cramp your computer with Reader software when you can have an excellent and fast tool for viewing, creating, editing, adding notes, converting PDFs into .doc or whatever?

I like this one from Nuance:

http://www.nuance.com/pdfconverter/professional/

Neat stuff.
... See more
For measly $99.

Why cramp your computer with Reader software when you can have an excellent and fast tool for viewing, creating, editing, adding notes, converting PDFs into .doc or whatever?

I like this one from Nuance:

http://www.nuance.com/pdfconverter/professional/

Neat stuff.

Here's a review:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/3236/4260/Nuance-PDF-Converter-Professional-5.phtml
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Acrobat Reader 5, and PDF-XChange Viewer Sep 20, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I stopped using Adobe Reader after version 5, when it became too slow and complicated.

Yes, Acrobat Reader after version 5 is sloooooooow. Version 5 is still available on the web, and it is fast (not nearly as fast as version 3, but then version 3 lacks support for more modern PDF files).

Now I have been using Foxreader for some time, I have a lisence. But I cannot save pdfs from Foxreader. Should probably pay more money again.

You can save a copy of a PDF using PDF-XChange Viewer (freeware), and you can also do annotations with it and save the annotated PDF. All my clients asking for annotated PDFs have so far been able to see my annotations.

Nothing beats Acrobat 5 and 5.5 for ease of copying blocks of text, though. So PDF-XChange Viewer is my default viewer, but if I need to copy text from a PDF, I use Acrobat 5. PDF-XChange Viewer is slightly slower to load certain pages, but it doesn't hog all the available memory like Acrobat Reader 6 does, and the annotation feature is also great.

Does it mix up things during installation? I'm afraid even to try it in case it changes all my settings at once.

You can install more than one version of Acrobat Reader on your computer, but I have found it impossible to set the default viewer as an earlier version. So if you have both versions 5 and 5.5 and 6 on the computer, the computer will always use version 6 to open PDF files, even if you specify the path to version 5 or 5.5. There is something in Windows or Acrobat or the registry or in the gremlins that don't allow you to use an earlier version as the default. That is why I have an icon for it on my desktop, so that I can drag and drop to it

Is it well compatible with Firefox 2?

I don't know. I don't open PDFs directly in the browser. Whenever I install a new version of my browsers, I set them up to prompt with a download dialog when I click a PDF. PDF plugins are also slower than the PDF programs themselves.

PDF-XChange does allow you to change the view from portrait to landscape, but if you save it, it doesn't save the new page orientation.

My2c.

[Edited at 2008-09-20 05:44]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:10
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Acrobat Reader 8.1.2 Sep 20, 2008

...is my version. I haven't noticed that it's worse than any previous versions, but I don't use it in the variety of ways that others are mentioning.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
PDF-XChange PDF Viewer Sep 20, 2008

It is free, pretty fast, just 12 Mb and:

"Short description: Free - All you will ever need to View Adobe PDF files, Export PDF pages and files to Image Formats, Type on PDF pages and much much more."

http://www.download3k.com/Install-PDF-XChange-PDF-Viewer.html

Uldis

Rimma Kehr
Rimma Kehr
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Adobe Acrobad Reader 8.1.2, PDF24 - free software Sep 20, 2008

Hello Heinrich,

Adobe Acrobad Reader 8.1.2 can be used for - of text.

PDF24 can be used for printing of Word.doc or Excel.xls to PDF-file.

Both of them are "free software" and these programs can be dowload from Internet.

Adobe Acrobat Professional is - sure - the best, but you should buy it after 30-days testing.

Best regards

Rimma Kehr

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:10
English to French
+ ...
PDF-XChange Sep 20, 2008

I am surprised - it seems that many more people have discovered this handy software since I've started using it.

The direct link for PDF-XChange Viewer, on the software editor's own website, is this one: http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

This is the best free solution in my knowledge. If you are willing
... See more
I am surprised - it seems that many more people have discovered this handy software since I've started using it.

The direct link for PDF-XChange Viewer, on the software editor's own website, is this one: http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

This is the best free solution in my knowledge. If you are willing to pay, I'd go with Nicole's suggestion. Be warned, however, of Nuance's less than average support service and policy.

[Edited at 2008-09-20 19:20]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 20, 2008

especially Samuel!
PDF-Xchange looks good and is blazingly fast.
Regards
Heinrich

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
PDF-XChange Viewer is also my default viewer Sep 21, 2008

But I was quite surprised to discover that the new Acrobat reader, version 9, became really very fast. It still occupies a lot of space, but its speed is comparable with this less demanding viewers.

Piotr

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
reader 7/8 Sep 22, 2008

After installing reader version 8 I found it was much slower than 7 so I still use 7. pdfexchange works well but I can't view two files at the same time, which is something reader 7 does quite well. Searching within files is clearly faster wich pdfexchange than it is with reader, especially for consecutive searches.
Regards.

sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Pdf- reader Sep 24, 2008

I like ABBYY FineReader.
It's a true beauty to work with, converts files back and forth without any prob.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Foxit PDF Reader Sep 25, 2008

lean and mean ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ ). Free as mere reader, but if you pay some fee for a license, you'll have also some additional tools (such as commenting).

And yes, Adobe's Reader has turned into a frightening behemoth.

As for creating PDF, there are lots of possibiliti
... See more
lean and mean ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ ). Free as mere reader, but if you pay some fee for a license, you'll have also some additional tools (such as commenting).

And yes, Adobe's Reader has turned into a frightening behemoth.

As for creating PDF, there are lots of possibilities. For example, OpenOffice.org ( http://www.openoffice.org ) has built-in export to PDF. Pdfcreator ( http://www.pdfcreator.de.vu/ ) is a universal free utility for Windows.

[Edited at 2008-09-25 07:10]
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
Reader v. 7/9 Sep 25, 2008

Installing version 9 not only removes a previous version from the desktop but also deletes it from OS's menues and the install directory. If you want to use two versions simultaneously that's off because version 9 does not let you reinstall a previous version; it interrupts the installation with a note saying that you already have a more powerful version installed.
Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pdf-reader, what would you recommend?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »