Ongoing impersonation of "Telus International" to conduct a pay-to-work scam.
Thread poster: Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 13:09
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 19, 2023

Back on June 27, 2022, ProZ.com reported a pay-to-work scam impersonating "Telus International". It appears this scam has resurfaced. 

A scammer or group of scammers pretending to represent "Telus International" to send fake job offers via email.
... See more
Back on June 27, 2022, ProZ.com reported a pay-to-work scam impersonating "Telus International". It appears this scam has resurfaced. 

A scammer or group of scammers pretending to represent "Telus International" to send fake job offers via email. The offer, is taken up, is followed by a long recruitment process which ends with the request of a payment, to issue a "company ID". Please remember that, as a general rule, you should never make a payment in order to be assigned a project.

The full "onboarding document" used for this scam can be seen in PDF format here.

The scammer or scammers are using free email addresses and fake names. Recent reported aliases and email address are:

Please note that the real Telus International only uses official company email addresses, with the domain telusinternational.com

Remember that you have access to a repository of common scams, past alerts, and tips on how to spot fraud, at proz.me/RiskManagement
Collapse

expressisverbis
Dalia Nour
Sohee Hong

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Andrea Jul 20, 2023

Thank you!

expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Dalia Nour

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
Pay-to-work scam Jul 21, 2023

A few weeks ago there was a job offered on proz.com from a Mexican translation company that I had never heard of. The job involved hundreds of pages of Japanese legal documentation. The fly in the ointment was that they demanded a 15% finder's fee for the entire job which would have easily added up to USD 1,000. I looked up the company on the Internet. They have a valid address in CDMX but no email address (this is increasingly common for translation agencies). I consider this a "pay-to-play" sc... See more
A few weeks ago there was a job offered on proz.com from a Mexican translation company that I had never heard of. The job involved hundreds of pages of Japanese legal documentation. The fly in the ointment was that they demanded a 15% finder's fee for the entire job which would have easily added up to USD 1,000. I looked up the company on the Internet. They have a valid address in CDMX but no email address (this is increasingly common for translation agencies). I consider this a "pay-to-play" scheme. And when you are dealing with a company in Mexico....... Any opinions?Collapse

Dalia Nour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ongoing impersonation of "Telus International" to conduct a pay-to-work scam.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »