Malika El khadhri  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:03
Member (2012)
French to Arabic
+ ...
A similar offer via Telegram Jul 14, 2023

Hello,

I got a similar offer via Telegram. It was suspicious from the beginning because I had never received a request like that. I asked him to send me the link to his agency. He answers me rudely: "That is not compulsory you are here to work and get paid but I can share you more information about our company". He also said that he will pay me 3000 USD for translating 31500 words. So I immediately declined the offer, as it was obviously a scam.

Hope my experience helps
... See more
Hello,

I got a similar offer via Telegram. It was suspicious from the beginning because I had never received a request like that. I asked him to send me the link to his agency. He answers me rudely: "That is not compulsory you are here to work and get paid but I can share you more information about our company". He also said that he will pay me 3000 USD for translating 31500 words. So I immediately declined the offer, as it was obviously a scam.

Hope my experience helps you better assess this kind of scammer profile,

All my support,

MALIKA EL KHADHR
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Telegram Jul 14, 2023

I'm sorry to read that you have fallen for the scammer that uses Telegram. This scammer has previously been discussed.

The only thing I can think of is for you to file a scam report at https://consumer.ftc.gov/media/79836 Just don't get your hopes up too high because "Telegram" uses various profiles, also here on ProZ. If you were contacted through ProZ.com, then report that profile to t
... See more
I'm sorry to read that you have fallen for the scammer that uses Telegram. This scammer has previously been discussed.

The only thing I can think of is for you to file a scam report at https://consumer.ftc.gov/media/79836 Just don't get your hopes up too high because "Telegram" uses various profiles, also here on ProZ. If you were contacted through ProZ.com, then report that profile to them. Other translators, including myself, have done so, however, without having accepted their dubious job opportunity.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Dan Lucas

Sohee Hong
Sohee Hong
South Korea
Local time: 04:03
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for this. Jul 14, 2023

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:03
Danish to English
+ ...
Plenty of warnings Jul 14, 2023

If you had been following the forums and/or checked out the site's scam warning resources, you could have avoided this. This sort of scam has been described countless times. Never work for someone without first establishing their identity. You cannot do that via Gmail, Telegram (an often used scam channel), Outlook.com, Hotmail, Yahoo and similar.

Screen potential clients and manage b
... See more
If you had been following the forums and/or checked out the site's scam warning resources, you could have avoided this. This sort of scam has been described countless times. Never work for someone without first establishing their identity. You cannot do that via Gmail, Telegram (an often used scam channel), Outlook.com, Hotmail, Yahoo and similar.

Screen potential clients and manage business risks
https://go.proz.com/guidance/risk-management

Translator scam alert center
https://www2.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts?phpv_redirected=1
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Michele Fauble
Kevin Fulton
Walter Landesman
Philip Lees
Joakim Braun

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
You need to be alert Jul 14, 2023

Sohee Hong wrote:

This scammer has been discussed here before? Can i find a link?

Google the following string exactly, including the quotes:

site:proz.com "telegram" "scam"

Sohee Hong wrote:
I eventually contacted and currently talking with the founder of Translation Services USA, Alex Buran.
He doesn't seem to know this scam thing is really happening.
If this is a scam, Translation Services USA is kind of a victim too.
The scammers are using their company's name to scam translators.

Yes, scammers often claim to be someone they are not. I can also create an email address like [email protected] and send you an email from that, claiming to represent Microsoft, but that doesn't mean I do.

You need to be extra careful now, as you may have been added to what is called a sucker list (list of people who have previously fallen for a scam).

Thayenga
Philip Lees

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Common practice Jul 14, 2023

Sohee Hong wrote:

I eventually contacted and currently talking with the founder of Translation Services USA, Alex Buran.
He doesn't seem to know this scam thing is really happening.
If this is a scam, Translation Services USA is kind of a victim too.
The scammers are using their company's name to scam translators.

Unfortunately, this is common practice among scammers. They claim to be a representative of company/agency XYZ. If something seems to be fishy, I oftentimes contacted the company the scammer claims to be working with. Not only to confirm their identity, if it is then real, but also to alert the company that their name is being used and abused. They, too, need to protect their reputation.

Here's one of the discussions regarding Telegram: https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/362930-scam_spam.html

[Edited at 2023-07-14 16:24 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I understand Jul 14, 2023

I understand that WhatsApp and Telegram are now very common ways of communicating, even in business, but even so, I never accept a job where the person contacts me via Telegram first. I only accept jobs via email. (You can also get scammed via email, so that is no guarantee.) I only communicate with clients via WhatsApp or Telegram if they are already known to me. I also only work for companies (not for private individuals), so a company should have a website, and address and a telephone num... See more
I understand that WhatsApp and Telegram are now very common ways of communicating, even in business, but even so, I never accept a job where the person contacts me via Telegram first. I only accept jobs via email. (You can also get scammed via email, so that is no guarantee.) I only communicate with clients via WhatsApp or Telegram if they are already known to me. I also only work for companies (not for private individuals), so a company should have a website, and address and a telephone number where I can contact them.

You say the scammer claimed to be from "Translation Services USA". What did the scammer claim was the website address of this "Translation Services USA"?
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I asked this question before, but.... Jul 14, 2023

Why scamming us? Us 'poor' translators. If I had the urge to scam somebody, I would scam a multinational, that is where the money is.

Or am I missing something here? Sorry, but I still don't get it.

[Edited at 2023-07-14 17:44 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Not a moral mission Jul 14, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Why scamming us? Us 'poor' translators. If I had the urge to scam somebody, I would scam a multinational, that is where the money is.

Or am I missing something here? Sorry, but I still don't get it.

Scammers are not on a moral mission to rectify any perceived injustices in the world. They just want to steal money in whatever way they can.

As too many translators are not well versed in due diligence, the bar is much lower than it would be with a multinational.

Many ordinary consumers are being scammed too. Some are vulnerable, others simply naïve. All are easy prey and criminals have no scruples.

Jorge Payan
Kevin Fulton
Joakim Braun
Robert Rietvelt
Philippe Etienne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sohee Jul 14, 2023

Rodrigo Josiss is on the Archived Scam Alerts, as is Shalipopi Musk and Translation Services USA...

https://proz.papyrs.com/@knowledgebase/Archived-Scam-Alerts-2023

[Edited at 2023-07-14 19:44 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
... Jul 14, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

[Edited at 2023-07-14 17:44 GMT]

And there are for sure scammers specializing in this - random examples:

https://ogletree.com/insights/the-fake-president-fraud-what-it-is-and-how-multinational-companies-can-protect-themselves/

https://www.csoonline.com/article/575295/israeli-threat-group-uses-fake-company-acquisitions-in-ceo-fraud-schemes.html

But as you can see, those are surely not the same guys as the semiliterate hiding behind "Rodrigo josiss" alias.

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I got scammed Jul 15, 2023

How can anybody believe that any legit company would use Telegram for job offers? In cas yo udo not know it, Telegram is the terrorists' preferred communication channel. That should speak volumes! Emails exist and that is the way any serious company communicates. Have you ever seen Telegram on the contact page of a company? It is a hard way to learn but the lesson should stay. On the other hand $1,500 for a 100-page document is peanuts. That could also be alerting anyone.

Dan Lucas
Aurélien ARPAZ
Thomas T. Frost

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Dearth of healthy skepticism Jul 15, 2023

mariealpilles wrote:
How can anybody believe that any legit company would use Telegram for job offers?

Agreed. I would be immediately and deeply suspicious. I can't believe that a major company would sanction the use of such a tarnished method of communication. My experience in corporate environments is that access to such apps and non-corporate email is tightly controlled as a matter of compliance. As for your typical mom-and-pop shop or local small company, they would use gmail or some other freemail.

Then again, some freelancers are naive enough to believe that substantial companies, the kind with shares traded on the stock exchange in London or New York, would use an email like [email protected].

It's hard to avoid the impression that many translators are intelligent (or at least well-educated) but have next to no street-smarts. If you get a juicy offer from an unexpected source, don't bite immediately. Stop. Think! If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

I think all we can do is keep reporting the subject and pointing out unwise decisions so that new translators that do bother to undertake due diligence can benefit in future.

Regards,
Dan

Thomas T. Frost
Kevin Fulton
Michele Fauble
Thayenga
Joe France

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:03
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Telegram Jul 15, 2023

I don't know about other countries, but here in Japan, Telegram is widely used for hiring robbers and thieves to break into rich people's homes using pseudonyms while communicating on the app. The employer will bait would-be-thieves with a minimal sum of 200~500 USD stating something like "work a few hours and earn 500 USD fast!". The biggest reason for using Telegram is anonymity and after 24 hours, the communication or the proof of hiring someone to commit a crime will be deleted from the app.... See more
I don't know about other countries, but here in Japan, Telegram is widely used for hiring robbers and thieves to break into rich people's homes using pseudonyms while communicating on the app. The employer will bait would-be-thieves with a minimal sum of 200~500 USD stating something like "work a few hours and earn 500 USD fast!". The biggest reason for using Telegram is anonymity and after 24 hours, the communication or the proof of hiring someone to commit a crime will be deleted from the app.

I've never been approached by anyone for work who uses Telegram, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten meter barge pole.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »