Has anyone heard of "Shine Investments Pty Ltd"?
Thread poster: Litzy Rafael-Osorio
Litzy Rafael-Osorio
Litzy Rafael-Osorio
United States
Local time: 20:17
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2023

Hello all! I am new to Proz and have been making efforts to obtain some work as I am a recent university graduate. It's been nerve-wracking since I have little-to-no experience working in this field.

That said, I was wondering if anyone has heard from, or worked with, an Australian real estate company, "Shine Investments Pty Ltd"? I tried to find them on the Blue Board---with no results. I received an email from them about a job proposal translating meeting minutes to Spanish weekl
... See more
Hello all! I am new to Proz and have been making efforts to obtain some work as I am a recent university graduate. It's been nerve-wracking since I have little-to-no experience working in this field.

That said, I was wondering if anyone has heard from, or worked with, an Australian real estate company, "Shine Investments Pty Ltd"? I tried to find them on the Blue Board---with no results. I received an email from them about a job proposal translating meeting minutes to Spanish weekly. It sounded interesting, but I was hesitant since I could not find much about them other than their website--and they've been active for 24 years.

**Also, if there's any advice for me in general in differentiating scams and real opportunities, that would be wonderful. I have been receiving messages from Proz through my email so I would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Litzy

*** EDIT: I was looking through the other posts, and this is DEF a scam. I've blocked the account in my inbox and have changed my email settings so only logged-in users can message me. You live and you learn!

[Edited at 2023-06-01 00:44 GMT]
Collapse

geeta joshi-Ghatpande

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:17
French to English
+ ...
I'd be very leery Jun 1, 2023

Looking at https://shineinvestmentsltd.com, I don't like it for several reasons:
1. The design of the site (both the graphics and the text content) is unbecoming for an investment company.
2. The site does not list any names of people affiliated with the company - again, quite strange for an investment company.
3. Dun and Bradstreet profile for Shine Investments Pty Ltd shows a differen
... See more
Looking at https://shineinvestmentsltd.com, I don't like it for several reasons:
1. The design of the site (both the graphics and the text content) is unbecoming for an investment company.
2. The site does not list any names of people affiliated with the company - again, quite strange for an investment company.
3. Dun and Bradstreet profile for Shine Investments Pty Ltd shows a different web site address, https://waterrentals.com.au .
4. The company number listed on https://shineinvestmentsltd.com does match the business registry entry for Shine Investments Pty Ltd, but the postal address does not match the one shown in DnB profile.
5. https://armas.com.au/ is a parent company of the real Shine Investments Pty Ltd, and the address listed on their site is the same as on https://waterrentals.com.au , but not as on https://shineinvestmentsltd.com .

[Edited at 2023-06-01 01:06 GMT]
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Liviu-Lee Roth

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam attempt Jun 1, 2023

To me their website looks very much like a children’s game…

Anton Konashenok
Kevin Dalton

Jorge Bongiovanni
Jorge Bongiovanni
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The assumed Shine Investments Pty Ltd work proposal has many “ingredients” of a scam Jun 1, 2023

-Shine Investments Pty Ltd is not on the Blue Board
-Email is written with poor sintaxis
-They ask the potential candidate to quote his/her job in $/word but had already established the payment for each document

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It has been actively "recruiting" for a while Jun 1, 2023

I think this is the same company that has been contacting many of us here offering transcription jobs for $2,000 per tape hour.

geeta joshi-Ghatpande

Kevin Dalton
Kevin Dalton
United States
Local time: 19:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do get that "Nigerian Prince" vibe Jun 7, 2023

I have been approached by them as well. I'm also new here.

I speak both Spanish and Japanese, but thanks to my old pal Kanji I can't read it worth a darn despite knowing like 500 or so. So I was unsure how to answer the question of language pairs when setting up my profile to this site. Subsequently, I was told you should translate into your native tongue.

The guy from Shine asked me to translate into Japanese. I let him know what was up and he said, "You can give
... See more
I have been approached by them as well. I'm also new here.

I speak both Spanish and Japanese, but thanks to my old pal Kanji I can't read it worth a darn despite knowing like 500 or so. So I was unsure how to answer the question of language pairs when setting up my profile to this site. Subsequently, I was told you should translate into your native tongue.

The guy from Shine asked me to translate into Japanese. I let him know what was up and he said, "You can give it a shot."

Nigerian prince or not, I did learn that I am way too rusty to capitalize on my Japanese, so I turned down the offer, stating I've been keeping up my Spanish. They then said I could try it in Spanish.

But this was just translating something akin to a report. A.I. can do that. They also asked me to record myself reading the translation. I suppose that might be a sector where we can compete with A.I.

It's just that so far they haven't asked me anything that was the smoking gun of fraud or phising. No unusual requests for PID. But their website? Frightening!

[Edited at 2023-06-07 15:51 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone heard of "Shine Investments Pty Ltd"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »