Thread poster: Beth Varley
Beth Varley
Beth Varley  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:08
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2007

Hi,

I am wondering whether anyone is experiencing the same problem with using Wordfast with Word 2007 and Vista. Last week I had to buy a new laptop which had Vista as the operating system and Office 2007. I re-installed Wordfast 2007 on the new laptop and that went fine.

The problem is that it is so slow even on a small document. It takes for ever to go from one segment to the next. I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem and has been able to do any
... See more
Hi,

I am wondering whether anyone is experiencing the same problem with using Wordfast with Word 2007 and Vista. Last week I had to buy a new laptop which had Vista as the operating system and Office 2007. I re-installed Wordfast 2007 on the new laptop and that went fine.

The problem is that it is so slow even on a small document. It takes for ever to go from one segment to the next. I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem and has been able to do anything about it.

Any help much appreciated.
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't have this problem Oct 26, 2007

Hi Beth,

I have got Office 2007 and Wordfast as well and I don't have this problem. But I believe the problem is more or less on the Office side. When I had my old computer with Office 2007 on it it was dead slow!!!
Now I bought a new desktop, actually a workstation, and it is pretty fast.
IMO, Office 2007 is more demanding for the processor and memory than the previous versions.

Veronika.

Beth Varley
Beth Varley  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought my new laptop was powerful enough Oct 26, 2007

Hi Veronika,
I tought my laptop was powerful enough: 1.9 gHZ of processor and 2 GB of RAM. If what you say is true, then I must take it back and exchange it for a more powerful one.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Slowdown potentially caused by AV Oct 26, 2007

The slowdown issue can be caused by your anti-virus software, especially if you are working with a larger TM. Some AV programs scan any file that is read or written, so your AV may scan the TM for viruses again and again as Wordfast is using it. This can take a while if your TM is large. In fact, I saw this under WinXP with Eset Nod (an excellent AV software, to be sure). The solution was to exclude the TM's folder from the resident shield scanner.

Also, make sure you are using a ve
... See more
The slowdown issue can be caused by your anti-virus software, especially if you are working with a larger TM. Some AV programs scan any file that is read or written, so your AV may scan the TM for viruses again and again as Wordfast is using it. This can take a while if your TM is large. In fact, I saw this under WinXP with Eset Nod (an excellent AV software, to be sure). The solution was to exclude the TM's folder from the resident shield scanner.

Also, make sure you are using a very recent Wordfast version.
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
... Oct 29, 2007

Dear Beth,

it seems you have a strong enough processor and large enough RAM. David is probably right, and what's more, he's the competent one here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very slow Wordfast with Word 2007

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »