Can you work on an sdlxliff and provide a clean file?
投稿者: Josh Karson
Josh Karson
Josh Karson
フランス
フランス語 から 英語
Jan 8, 2016

Hi,

I'm a new Wordfast Pro user. My client gives me the following files:

- sdlxliff file
- source file (original powerpoint, excel or word to be translated)
- TM in tmx format

When I'm finished with the translation, my client wants me to give them:
- the bilingual sdlxliff file
- the clean file (translated powerpoint, excel or word)
- the TM in tmx format

If I translate using the sdlxliff file, as my client request
... See more
Hi,

I'm a new Wordfast Pro user. My client gives me the following files:

- sdlxliff file
- source file (original powerpoint, excel or word to be translated)
- TM in tmx format

When I'm finished with the translation, my client wants me to give them:
- the bilingual sdlxliff file
- the clean file (translated powerpoint, excel or word)
- the TM in tmx format

If I translate using the sdlxliff file, as my client requests, and then select "Save Translated File" (File menu), I am saving the sdlxliff as a bilingual file. But I do not know how to create the translated source file, i.e. a clean word, ppt or excel.

[Note: If I translate using the source file, then "Save Translated File" creates a clean source file. I'd like to do the same thing with an sdlxliff]

Thanks for any help.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:56
フィンランド語 から フランス語
Not possible Jan 8, 2016

No, you can’t generate the translated PowerPoint from the translated SDLXLIFF without Studio. If you don’t have a copy of Studio, that will be a job for your client.

What you can do, of course, if open the original PowerPoint directly in Wordfast Pro, translate it (should be fast, since you have already done the translation on the SDLXLIFF), after which you will be able to use Save translated file in Wordfast Pro and obtain the translated PowerPoint.

[Edited at 2016-01-
... See more
No, you can’t generate the translated PowerPoint from the translated SDLXLIFF without Studio. If you don’t have a copy of Studio, that will be a job for your client.

What you can do, of course, if open the original PowerPoint directly in Wordfast Pro, translate it (should be fast, since you have already done the translation on the SDLXLIFF), after which you will be able to use Save translated file in Wordfast Pro and obtain the translated PowerPoint.

[Edited at 2016-01-08 10:32 GMT]
Collapse

Josh Karson
Josh Karson
フランス
フランス語 から 英語
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique Jan 8, 2016

I had actually thought of that solution, but I'm a bit afraid that if I retranslate the source file "automatically" using the TM, a few segments may get lost along the way (number issues, stuff like that). Since my posting, it seems my client is satisfied to recreate the source themselves, so I'll let them do the "dirty" work.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:56
フィンランド語 から フランス語
Tags Jan 8, 2016

I think the main differences would be related to tags, so you would need to use Transcheck to verify tags balance out. Now that you are no longer under pressure to generate a "perfect" PowerPoint, you could do it (open PowerPoint in WFP, retranslate, check tags and save translated file), for educational purposes and in case you are asked to supply the final translated file to a "Trados client" in the future.

Josh Karson
Josh Karson
フランス
フランス語 から 英語
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Jan 8, 2016

Yes, I'll do that.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you work on an sdlxliff and provide a clean file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »