Isabelle Villancher  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2013

Hello! Hope you can help.

Although it should in theory be easy to convert TMs from tmx to txt, during the conversion process, I get a long list of warning messages, here's a sample:

***warning*** TU 115 contains tabulation
***warning*** TU 117 contains tabulation

I also tried using various TMs preconverted from .tmx to .txt by the project manager, but after
... See more
Hello! Hope you can help.

Although it should in theory be easy to convert TMs from tmx to txt, during the conversion process, I get a long list of warning messages, here's a sample:

I also tried using various TMs preconverted from .tmx to .txt by the project manager, but after adding the TM, I get this:

"The following error occurred: localtm://C:\Users\(etc).txt failed to connect. Translation memory header is invalid. Please note that this TM will be disabled."

I am therefore unable to use any reps let alone access anything saved by other translators which makes it difficult to work with some agencies, is there a way to solve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kind regards,

Isabelle
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try detabbing Jul 9, 2013

As far as I know Wordfast's TM format is tab separated. I'm not sure how it stores tab characters that occur in the text itself, but it seems that the TMX import filter doesn't know what to do with them either. So make it easier for the import filter. Open the tmx files and replace all tab characters with a space. Save and try the import again.
BTW the import may work despite the warnings you get, so try and use the TM if the import process generates one.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:25
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Okapi Oliphant Jul 9, 2013

Try converting with Okapi Oliphant.

Yuko Kubo
Yuko Kubo
Japan
Local time: 23:25
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Which one should I download from Okapi website? Sep 11, 2013

I'm using Wordfast Pro Version: 3.2.1 and trying to convert .xml TM sent by a client to .txt to run on my Mac (OS X 10.7.5).

Following WordFast 'Translation Memory - New/Select TM' doesn't work, as "the specified TMX file doesn't contain any valid TU" appeared.

So I decided to use Okapi Oliphant as recommended.
... See more
I'm using Wordfast Pro Version: 3.2.1 and trying to convert .xml TM sent by a client to .txt to run on my Mac (OS X 10.7.5).

Following WordFast 'Translation Memory - New/Select TM' doesn't work, as "the specified TMX file doesn't contain any valid TU" appeared.

So I decided to use Okapi Oliphant as recommended.
I visited http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html and found so many lines. Can anyone kindly tell me which one I should download?

Thanks!
Collapse

Yuko Kubo
Yuko Kubo
Japan
Local time: 23:25
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Okapi is only for Windows! Sep 13, 2013

According to Yasmin from WF who is helping me solve the problem now, Okapi is not for Mac. Just FYI

Elena Zini
Elena Zini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Solution Oct 3, 2014

Hi, how did you manage to solve this problem? Having the same exact issue just now...

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Try WfConverter Oct 3, 2014

You may want to try WfConverter, just in case it's able to deal with tabs inside segments. WfConverter is a free utility (Windows only) that can convert TM's from TMX to Wordfast TM (and the other way round).

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Tabs in Wordfast TM's Oct 3, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:
As far as I know Wordfast's TM format is tab separated.

Correct.
FarkasAndras wrote:
I'm not sure how it stores tab characters that occur in the text itself,

Wordfast Classic stores tabs as this in a TM: &t9;
Wordfast Pro stores them as: &'9;
(so incompatibility between Classic and Pro here)
FarkasAndras wrote:
Open the tmx files and replace all tab characters with a space. Save and try the import again.

That's probably the easiest way to do it. Another possibility would be to replace tab characters (in the TMX) with some random string like XYZ. Once the TM has been successfully imported in Wordfast Pro, one can replace XYZ with &'9; and tabs will be preserved in the Wordfast TM.

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
one solution Oct 4, 2014

Hello!

I had the same problem two days ago, here's what I did, for reference.

The client sent me a tmx, WF_PRO added it to the list without errors, but with a lot of "tabulation" and "carriage return" warnings.
When I started the translation, the "Invalid header" error appeared and the TM was disabled.

After many unsuccessful attempts (editing the header, replacing tabs and CRLFs, using WFConverter),
... See more
Hello!

The client sent me a tmx, WF_PRO added it to the list without errors, but with a lot of "tabulation" and "carriage return" warnings.
When I started the translation, the "Invalid header" error appeared and the TM was disabled.

After many unsuccessful attempts (editing the header, replacing tabs and CRLFs, using WFConverter), I loaded the memory in WF Anywhere (http://www.freetm.com) and downloaded it back from there.

This solved my the problem.

Cheers!
Collapse

Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Running through Wordfast Anywhere at freetm.com DOES work! May 18, 2015

The solution quoted below worked 100%.

Catalina/Dan Ilioiu wrote:

Hello!

After many unsuccessful attempts (editing the header, replacing tabs and CRLFs, using WFConverter), I loaded the memory in WF Anywhere (http://www.freetm.com) and downloaded it back from there.

This solved my the problem.

Cheers!

Isabelle Villancher
Isabelle Villancher  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy paste header from another of your TMs May 18, 2015

Hello all,
I haven't had as many issues with the last few versions of WF Pro, but in the once instance where I did get an "invalid header" notification, i just copy/pasted a header from one of my own TMs, which solved the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 3.2- TMs converted from tmx to txt format incompatible/unusable

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »