Thread poster: Tony Tang
Tony Tang
Tony Tang
Local time: 20:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 12, 2007

Hi friends,

As soon as you saw this topic, you may feel somewhat familiar. You are right. I ever posted such a topic for trados support. But because I failed to put out some critical points, I am still having a satisfying solution. Of course, it's my fault.

Here, I would like to renarrate my problem again with some screen captures.

Background: ttx files to be translated in tageditor;

Trouble: in a sentence, one phrase has been surrounded with
... See more
Hi friends,

As soon as you saw this topic, you may feel somewhat familiar. You are right. I ever posted such a topic for trados support. But because I failed to put out some critical points, I am still having a satisfying solution. Of course, it's my fault.

Here, I would like to renarrate my problem again with some screen captures.

Background: ttx files to be translated in tageditor;

Trouble: in a sentence, one phrase has been surrounded with 'External' tags. This makes it unnecessarily inconvenient to do translation.

Example: This address must only be entered once in the CS role address field.

Scenario: when doing translation, this sentence is segmented into three segments, respectively, "This address must only be entered once in the", "CS role address", and "field". Because external tags exist, thos three segments cannot be joined through "Expand segment". But I really hope to expand them.

Question: How can I expand them with whatever way?

Thank you!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:35
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
why do you think it's external tags? Feb 12, 2007

Trouble: in a sentence, one phrase has been surrounded with 'External' tags. This makes it unnecessarily inconvenient to do translation.

Example: This address must only be entered once in the [External tag]CS role address[External tag] field.

Scenario: when doing translation, this sentence is segmented into three segments, respectively, "This address must only be entered once in the", "[External tag]CS role address[External tag]", and "field".

I rewrite the mail because (sigh) HTML is rather unfriendly when it comes to sentences with bigger and smaller (ie TRADOS-typical) characters.

It must be some character - either before, after or possibly within External tags - that forces segmentation. Tab?

I would look at the TWB / segmentation rules and start dumping - tab, colon ... - and see how tageditor reacts.

Alternatively - if you can still edit the input - I would look for culprits - for instance hard breaks instead of soft breaks etc - there.

Keep us posted.

smo

[Edited at 2007-02-12 11:52]

Tony Tang
Tony Tang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is absolutely an External tag Feb 13, 2007

Hi Vito,

Thank you for your response and questions.

As for your first question"why do you think it's external tags", because I viewed the .ini file, I found it was an external tag.

For your second question, I check the sentence again. I also didn't find any tab, comma, hard break or soft break.

For the segment rule, I just use the default rule for English to simple Chinese translation.

I think the main reason is that the extern
... See more
Hi Vito,

Thank you for your response and questions.

As for your first question"why do you think it's external tags", because I viewed the .ini file, I found it was an external tag.

For your second question, I check the sentence again. I also didn't find any tab, comma, hard break or soft break.

For the segment rule, I just use the default rule for English to simple Chinese translation.

I think the main reason is that the external tags exist in the sentence, which should be internal tags. But I don't know how this has happened.

Actually, in the initial post, I was ready to show some screen captures. But I don't know how can I do it here. If you are still interested in my question, you may send me your address or post your address here. I will send those screen captures as well as the file to you. My email address: [email protected].

Thank you again!

Tony

[Edited at 2007-02-13 01:44]

[Edited at 2007-02-13 02:13]
Collapse

Tony Tang
Tony Tang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The involved sentence and tags Feb 13, 2007

Hi Smo,

please see this sentence below:

"This address must only be entered once in the CS role address field."

This is the sentence that I talked about above.

Tony

One trados veteran suggests this way:

1. Modify the source code to change the 'external' to 'internal';
2. translate the file;
3. Then change the tag back to 'External'.

It is viable. But are there any other ways?
... See more
Hi Smo,

please see this sentence below:

"This address must only be entered once in the CS role address field."

This is the sentence that I talked about above.

Tony

One trados veteran suggests this way:

1. Modify the source code to change the 'external' to 'internal';
2. translate the file;
3. Then change the tag back to 'External'.

It is viable. But are there any other ways?

[Edited at 2007-02-13 02:46]

[Edited at 2007-02-13 02:54]

[Edited at 2007-02-13 03:23]
Collapse

Funny Fun
Funny Fun
English to Chinese
The phrase "CS role address" is surrounded with "External" tag Feb 13, 2007

This address must only be entered once in the <abstring abtype="mao">CS role address</abstring> field.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Tags Feb 13, 2007

Tony Tang wrote:

I suggest editing the .ini file and making the tag internal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to expand or join two segments in Tageditor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »