How to translate Framemaker 7.0 files into Greek with Trados 6.5?
Thread poster: laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
Local time: 19:34
German to French
Nov 6, 2006

Hi!
Does anybody know, if there is a way of translating Framemaker 7.0 files into Greek using Trados 6.5? With other languages I usually save the FM files as mif and convert them into rtf. Then the next step is to fontmap the files into the corresponding font. I used Arial Greek, as this is the font used in the original FM files. When I opened the ancillary.rtf, which already had some Greek texts in it (headers in Framemaker), these Greek texts had been changed into weird characters instea
... See more
Hi!
Does anybody know, if there is a way of translating Framemaker 7.0 files into Greek using Trados 6.5? With other languages I usually save the FM files as mif and convert them into rtf. Then the next step is to fontmap the files into the corresponding font. I used Arial Greek, as this is the font used in the original FM files. When I opened the ancillary.rtf, which already had some Greek texts in it (headers in Framemaker), these Greek texts had been changed into weird characters instead of Greek. The font in the rtf files is Times New Roman. Why is that? It should be Arial Greek, doesn't it?

So, if anybody has an idea of managing this problem I would be pleased...
Thanks in advance.
Ruth
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try converting to TTX instead? Nov 6, 2006

Hi Ruth,

I know that the MIF can be dealt with in two different ways. You can either convert it to RTF (and translate in Word + Trados WB) or to TTX and translate in TagEditor.

I get the impression that TagEditor is a smarter way to go when dealing with other alphabets, but I don't have any firsthand experience.

Try and get back to us, I'd be interested to hear about the result.

/Jan

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
This is a problem of mixed codepages and S-Tagger settings Nov 10, 2006

Hi Ruth!

Does anybody know, if there is a way of translating Framemaker 7.0 files into Greek using Trados 6.5?

Yes, you can translate FrameMaker files into Greek without any problems. However, Jan is right, and you should use TagEditor as it is much better especially when it comes to mixed codepages.

I used Arial Greek, as this is the font used in the original FM files.

If the source language of the documents is not Greek, you should use Arial in FM. If the source language is Greek, you should use Arial Greek. Please note, that you have to select the correct source and target language in S-Tagger's "Settings" panel. I.e., if the source language is Greek and the font is Arial Greek, you have to select Greek in S-Tagger as the source language.

When I opened the ancillary.rtf, which already had some Greek texts in it (headers in Framemaker), these Greek texts had been changed into weird characters instead of Greek.

Following the above, choosing e.g. German as the source language will result in these garbage characters. Switch source language to greek and the chars will show correct in the rtf. However, please note, that you cannot mix code pages like 1252 (western) and 1253 (greek) in one document. FrameMaker does only know one codepage: FrameRoman. Make a test: Copy the greek headings in you FrameMaker document to e.g. the Find/Change dialog or to windows notepad and you will see, that the characters are the same as you see them in the trados rtf. Only because you assign Arial Greek, you "see" greek, but technically it's actually only western special characters. If you have text in FrameMaker with mixed codepages as in your example (western body text, greek headings), you have to decide for one codepage by selecting the appropriate source language in S-Tagger. Depending on the language you choose, the special characters either in the western text or in the greek text will be wrong. But you can ignore this: Converting it back to FrameMaker with Greek as target language in S-Tagger and with Arial Greek as font in FrameMaker everthing will be fine again.

The font in the rtf files is Times New Roman. Why is that? It should be Arial Greek, doesn't it?

No, Times New Roman is *always* used in all TRADOS RTF files. The information about used fonts used in the original files is stored in external tags and files (i.e. in the org (=mif) files for FrameMaker).

Best,
Stefan Gentz,
tracom.de

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate Framemaker 7.0 files into Greek with Trados 6.5?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »