Maurice Koopman
Maurice Koopman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 2, 2006

Dear translators,
After I have translated a Word2000 doc with TagEditor, I cannot make changes in the CLEAN doc and save them. As soon as I try, Word crashes and the only option left is close Word via Windows TaskManager. Does anyone have clue, what is causing this and how I can solve it. I have tried copying the text in a new doc, exporting and importing the TM: nothing helps.

Thank you very much for your response.

Kind regards,

Maurice

[Edite
... See more
Dear translators,
After I have translated a Word2000 doc with TagEditor, I cannot make changes in the CLEAN doc and save them. As soon as I try, Word crashes and the only option left is close Word via Windows TaskManager. Does anyone have clue, what is causing this and how I can solve it. I have tried copying the text in a new doc, exporting and importing the TM: nothing helps.

Thank you very much for your response.

Kind regards,

Maurice

[Edited at 2006-10-02 18:40]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The document is corrupted Oct 2, 2006

This is very probably due to some sort of formatting issues, which already existed in the source document.
Most probably you cannot fix it using Word, so simply open this document in OpenOffice Writer, save as doc and open again in Word. In my case this has always worked.

Should you not have OpenOffice, you can downolad it free from www.openoffice.org

Best regards
Jerzy

Maurice Koopman
Maurice Koopman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unlikely that source doc is corrupt Oct 2, 2006

I don't think that the source document is corrupt, because editing the source doc and saving the changes, doesn't give any problems. On top of that, this is the second document, from a completely different translations agency, that causes the same kind of problems.

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try that.

Kind regards

Maurice

[Edited at 2006-10-02 18:46]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, the source is not corrupt, but contains not "clean" formatting Oct 2, 2006

and thus the target get´s corrupted.

I experienced such behaviour myself too.
In my cases this were graphics, placed over the text with many lines (paragraph marks) added in behind to keep text away from the picture. Or it was a table which was placed as graphics. Or other things - but almost always it was some sort of formatting.

The OO option helps. Probably you will need to correct some formatting, but still it is better than to have a crap document, which can
... See more
and thus the target get´s corrupted.

I experienced such behaviour myself too.
In my cases this were graphics, placed over the text with many lines (paragraph marks) added in behind to keep text away from the picture. Or it was a table which was placed as graphics. Or other things - but almost always it was some sort of formatting.

The OO option helps. Probably you will need to correct some formatting, but still it is better than to have a crap document, which cannot be delivered.

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:13
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you checked Word's templates and add-ins? Oct 3, 2006

I've sometimes noticed that after cleaning a document, I can't make any changes or even highlight any part of the clean document (although in my case Word doesn't crash).

It turns out that for some reason (following an error of some description), the cleaning process sometimes removes all the global templates and add-ins ...

I'm not sure if this is at all related to what you're experiencing, but it's worth a try!

[Edited at 2006-10-03 04:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't save/edit clean Word2000doc after translation w/ TagEd 7.5

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »