TagEditor cannot open RTF-file
Thread poster: Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:28
English to German
+ ...
Sep 30, 2006

I just got a new translation. It was in a word document and then set to be an rtf-file. I am supposed to translate it in TagEditor. I have the TM in workbench and tried to open the file in TagEditor. The screen went blank for ever and then at one point, about 3-4 minutes later it said "Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library- Runtime Error! Programm XXX... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application`s support team for more information.... See more
I just got a new translation. It was in a word document and then set to be an rtf-file. I am supposed to translate it in TagEditor. I have the TM in workbench and tried to open the file in TagEditor. The screen went blank for ever and then at one point, about 3-4 minutes later it said "Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library- Runtime Error! Programm XXX... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application`s support team for more information. After that I couldn`t exit TagEditor anymore. "Programm not responding" It took several efforts to exit and finally I had to turn off the computer because everything else stopped working. This happened several times, I can`t get it to work. I can work in word, but I don`t have concordance in there. It`s a huge file that only needs an update, so large parts will stay.
I worked on a different job this morning and TagEditor worked without problems. In the Trados guide, I found mentioned that rtf-files, that are translated in TagEditor, have to be changed to ttx-files, but that in opening and saving the files TagEditor would transform them by itself. The problem is it doesn`t open the file. I am using SDL Trados 2006 Freelance. Thank you for any help!
Collapse

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 19:28
English to Chinese
Turn to MS website Sep 30, 2006

Click on the following link and try to fix the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817/en-us

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will first contact outsourcer again. Sep 30, 2006

Shang wrote:

Click on the following link and try to fix the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817/en-us

Thank you, Shang. I am a little bit reluctant to try this because I thought it is a problem with the file. If my outsourcer confirms that the file has been sent correctly, I will try your method. I appriciate your help anyways.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
good luck Sep 30, 2006

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer wrote:

I just got a new translation. It was in a word document and then set to be an rtf-file. I am supposed to translate it in TagEditor. I have the TM in workbench and tried to open the file in TagEditor.

I can work in word, but I don`t have concordance in there.

In the Trados guide, I found mentioned that rtf-files, that are translated in TagEditor, have to be changed to ttx-files, but that in opening and saving the files TagEditor would transform them by itself. The problem is it doesn`t open the file. I am using SDL Trados 2006 Freelance. Thank you for any help!

in a hurry here, so it's basically a telex:

rtf (if it isn't a tagged STF file) is about same as doc. To work in word should be no problem.

You DO have concordance there. We use the same version.

If it's true (as I thinkits is) your rtf is not a tagged rtf, AND
you want to use TagEditor:

perhaps save it first as a .doc (don't know if this is necessary)
then batch translate it USING TTX XMLworkflow for msworddocs
(this is in TM options/tools)
after this it will open in TE.

good luck!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translating in word with concordance Oct 1, 2006

Saitch, thank you for your suggestion and the hint about concordance. I ended up using word. The supplier didn`t know why TagEditor didn`t work and I just couldn`t spend more time on this. But half way through the word translation, as you had suggested, concordance decided to pop up and it worked fine to the end. I don`t know where it lay dormant during the beginning, but oh well, it worked, and that is all that really matters.
Enjoy the rest of your -almost over- weekend! Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor cannot open RTF-file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »